• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

eBay Airhead

AllieKat77

Back in the 90’s I had a sweet ‘78 R80/7 that I wish I never sold. Ever since then I’ve been waiting for the time when I could get another Airhead and that time has arrived as I won an eBay bid for a one owner ‘77 R100/7 with 20k miles. I’m going to pick the bike up this week and then when I get home I’ll meticulously go over the entire bike. I’m currently riding a ‘20 R1250RS which is a technological wonder and an absolute blast to ride. But I’m also drawn to the simplicity of the bikes I grew up with in the 60’s & 70’s. For me riding an Airhead is pure mechanical bliss! 513691A4-B6AD-404B-941A-51C58080A5F9.jpg

Looks like a nice find...'77 models were good bikes, the last before they started detuning them in January 1978. Might have been repainted, but seems mostly all there. Noticed that the front fork gaiters are missing. But with your mechanical background, should be no problem getting things put back right!

Nice! Great looking bike. Hope things warm in in Northern Maine soon for you so you can get out; here in the south of Maine we're getting pretty close to riding weather - the salt's slowly washing away. I've got my airhead engine apart now, so it'll be a bit for me in any case.

A good find. Appears to be in good condition. I bought my current project, a 1971 R75/5 from an eBay auction. It has required more work than I expected, starting with new valves, guides, seats, etc., and new rings in spite of the seller describing "good compression." (25 psi in one cylinder) But I wanted a project and that's what I have.
Good luck with it.

I really like your selection of a airhead. The R100 is everything the R80 is and a little more. Variations of BMW’s are like variations of fine wine; all good. Ride and enjoy.:thumb

Cool

Hey, give it a good going over as for fluids, cables, wiring and plastic/rubber parts and once you get it all sorted out, it will be fun to ride. Enjoy. St.

Good for you, I have an '82 R65 LS so I know the draw of the airhead. I also happen to be the Air Marshall of the Newfoundland/Atlantic Airhead Club chapter.

Nice job. Beautiful bike. My first airhead was a 77 S model (still have it), and agree that it's great to have bike with both old and new technologies

Besides

Beside giving it a clean up if needed and checking or changing fluids and tires or what ever is needed to get it on the road, I will say the best thing I ever did when I bought my 78 RS was to ditch the points and go electronic. Back when I did it, there was not many choices. Now, if I were to do it over again or if the system I have conks out, I would go with the Classic Alpha system available at Motorrad Electrik.

With the system I have, Dyna, there is no degradation from point wear, and no timing change from point wear. I set it when I installed it and have not had to touch or adjust it in over 25K miles. St.

Back