• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Old New Member - North Florida

Hi friends! I am a brand-new (as of yesterday) owner of a 2023 R1250RS. I got my first new motorcycle (1974 Kawasaki G-5) forty-nine years ago. My BMW is my first new bike since 1986 (GSXR750). Although I owned a '74 R90S for a brief period from 2003 to '05, all of my other bikes have been riceburners and most of those have been two-strokes. I have been riding a '77 Yamaha RD400 since 2001. I'm approaching retirement and my wife told me to get myself my dream bike. I rode a used 2020 R1250R recently and I was hooked.

So, I am decidedly old school. As psyched as I am about my new bike, I am going to need help dealing with the technology. No Mikuni carburetors on this thing, thankfully. In all seriousness, the technology is more than a little intimidating. So I see myself spending a great deal of time on this forum.

I live north of Gainesville, FL. I've been exploring the Southern Appalachians for decades, but it has been 20+ years since I've ridden a bike there. I'm really looking forward to getting my RS on some of those roads, either by riding it up there (~400 miles) or perhaps trailering it.

I am very happy to be here and I'm looking forward to making new friends!

Welcome from another RS rider.
Which color did you buy?

Hey, Lee...well, it's been an interesting week. I had a deal to purchase a leftover 2022 in black. I was all set to drive to Hobe Sound (265 miles) yesterday to pick it up. But I really had my heart set on the white/blue/red "sport". The wife told me to pay the extra and get the one that I really wanted. The dealer Iin Palm Bay (60 miles closer) made me a pretty good deal on a '23. So that's where I went.

Welcome from just south. Our son and his wife live in Gainesville and we are Gator fans so come that way often. Enjoy that nice ride. Sounds like you picked a great wife also!

I really had my heart set on the white/blue/red "sport". The wife told me to pay the extra and get the one that I really wanted. The dealer Iin Palm Bay (60 miles closer) made me a pretty good deal on a '23. So that's where I went.

:thumb:thumb

Sounds like you picked a great wife also!

You can say that again! Thanks for the warm welcome. We actually have some decent roads up this way (considering that it IS Florida). Please let me know if you're up this way on two wheels. I'll be happy to show you around. I grew up in Sarasota. Lakeland Civic Center was the favorite place for concerts back in the day. ;-)

Welcome sharpestjim! Congrats on the new bike. Hopefully, you can post a picture or two.

Can't say I ever attended a concert at LCC but I did go to a Loggerhead game there quite a few years ago...

Welcome from northeast of you. Yes, there are good roads all over north central FL. I encourage you to join BMW Owners of Northeast Florida if you haven’t already. We are a very active chapter of MOA.

Welcome from northeast of you. Yes, there are good roads all over north central FL. I encourage you to join BMW Owners of Northeast Florida if you haven’t already. We are a very active chapter of MOA.

Thanks so much, Dave! Yes. I plan to do just that. I was a member for a brief time back in 2003-04 when I owned the R90S. I remember attending a breakfast in Salt Springs. Although I bought my RS at Power Motorcycles in Palm Bay, I will likely be taking it to BMW M/C of Jax for service. I have a brother in Jacksonville. So, even though it's ~65 miles for me, service visits shouldn't be a big deal. I assume that you know the folks there?

I will likely be taking it to BMW M/C of Jax for service. I have a brother in Jacksonville. So, even though it's ~65 miles for me, service visits shouldn't be a big deal.

About 7 years ago I left Lakeland headed to the west coast for an epic National Park tour. About two hours into the trip I smelled gas and pulled over to find the dreaded leak around the top of my fuel pump. The bike had been serviced by Haps in Sarasota the month before and all was good then. Jax wasn't too far out of the way so I called and they said they would do their best to get me back on the road quickly. I drove I-10 carefully watching the drip expecting flames at any time if it moved in the wrong direction. They took it back to service as soon as I arrived, quickly found the fuel pump needed to be replaced which they had in stock and had it ready within about 3 hours. Their service was top notch then and I expect it still is. 10K miles and almost four weeks later I was back home without any other problem along the way.

About 7 years ago I left Lakeland headed to the west coast for an epic National Park tour. About two hours into the trip I smelled gas and pulled over to find the dreaded leak around the top of my fuel pump. The bike had been serviced by Haps in Sarasota the month before and all was good then. Jax wasn't too far out of the way so I called and they said they would do their best to get me back on the road quickly. I drove I-10 carefully watching the drip expecting flames at any time if it moved in the wrong direction. They took it back to service as soon as I arrived, quickly found the fuel pump needed to be replaced which they had in stock and had it ready within about 3 hours. Their service was top notch then and I expect it still is. 10K miles and almost four weeks later I was back home without any other problem along the way.

That's pretty impressive. Must have been a bit of a freak-out.

I grew up in Venice and lived in Sarasota for years. I bought two new Hondas at Hap's - an '80 CB750F and an '83 CB1100F. Both great bikes, especially the 1100. I remember Hap well. I worked at the Yamaha-Suzuki dealership in the mid-80s. We used to hang out after work and drink beer at the Hob Nob Drive-in on 301 at 17th St. Hap used to ride in on his Gold Wing. Nice man.

That's pretty impressive. Must have been a bit of a freak-out.

I grew up in Venice and lived in Sarasota for years. I bought two new Hondas at Hap's - an '80 CB750F and an '83 CB1100F. Both great bikes, especially the 1100. I remember Hap well. I worked at the Yamaha-Suzuki dealership in the mid-80s. We used to hang out after work and drink beer at the Hob Nob Drive-in on 301 at 17th St. Hap used to ride in on his Gold Wing. Nice man.

I go to Haps for all my regular service. I like the vibe there better than Daytona, Orlando or Tampa.

One thing that really impressed me about Jax was when I went to pay the bill he told me they tested the fuel strip (which was still working fine) since they had the fuel pump out and could tell from the resistance that it was probably going to fail in the near future so they went ahead and replaced it under the 12 year warranty just in case since I was going on such a long trip. That is good service. And that fuel strip still works to this day. Seems they had a better batch of them than Haps who had replaced four previously.

When I am at Haps I usually walk to the Hob Nob for eats while waiting. It is still there.

Folks have asked for a photo of my bike. How about a twofer? The new and the old. The Yamaha is a 1977 RD400D. Number six of six Yamaha RD's that I have owned over the past 46 years. I bought this one in 2001 from the original owner. Until Saturday, it was the only motorcycle that I have owned since selling my '74 R90S in 2005.

Attachments

• 20230604_122524.jpg
    20230604_122524.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 38
That RS looks sweet (and the Yamaha is no slouch either)! Thanks for posting.

Thank YOU! That is the sixth Yamaha RD that I have owned over the years. I had one just like it (in blue) when I was a junior in high school. I owned a1981 Canadian RD350LC for a couple of years in the mid-80s. That thing was a beast. I purchased this one from the original owner in 2001. They're just so darned much fun. But it requires a lot of wrenching. It seems like every time that I want to get out on it, there's something that needs attention. I'm getting to the stage of my life where I don't like a lot of aggravation (it's called being an old f**t). I am about 90 percent certain that I am going to let her go and enjoy my new life with the BMW.

Welcome, lots of good roads around N-Florida/S-Georgia.
Lot's of happy (s)miles with your new bike.

Thanks so much, Bernie. You're spot-on about the roads. I am fortunate to live in a pretty nice area. It's not North Georgia by any stretch. But for Florida, it isn't bad. The I-75 corridor between Lake City and Ocala has a number of really decent roads. My favorite is Alachua County Road 1491. It runs for about six miles off of CR236 just east of I-75. If you find yourself over this way, please let me know. I'll be happy to show you around.

Back