• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camp GEARS

NancyK

With a huge amount of help from Don Braasch, we are pulling together the schedule for the Camp GEARS programs and events. We hope you will encourage the young riders you know to participate the Tuesday and Wednesday before the rally where they'll attend some great seminars and have the opportunity to participate in some terrific learning experiences. Watch the upcoming ON for more information and be sure to visit the Camp GEARS Facebook page.... you can ask questions and meet other participants and Camp GEARS alum there as we get the word out to those who are coming. Their rally registration is free if they attend Camp GEARS, thanks to the Foundation.
After our experience heading to the rally last year, we have an even greater appreciation of how important it is we educate our young riders on proper riding gear, learning about safe riding and what to do in a emergency. This knowledge and these skills are more important than most of us realize.
On a much lighter note, this is also a terrific way for the future of our BMW MOA to make connections with each other and with the current MOA membership.
Let us know if you have questions and watch for more information on the site and in the ON.
Ready to ride!
Nancy and Scott Koeneman
and Quinn (This will be his first year as an official member of Camp GEARS)

Where do you register someone for Camp Gears? Our son wants to attend this year.

Cheers!

For those that may not be familiar with the GEARS acronym...

Camp GEARS (Gaining Early Advanced Riding Skills) is a two-day camp offered to young riders, ages 16 through 26. Camp GEARS is both a training and social experience for young riders.........from info from a previous rally. :thumb

Voni and I will be there Wednesday to help out. I'm going to talk about mechanical things and Voni is going to talk show them a bit about packing a motorcycle for traveling.

We are looking forward to seeing some of the friends we've made in previous camps and a bunch of new friends too.

"Three thumbs up" to those putting their time and effort into Camp GEARS! :thumb

I think it looks like an awesome program, and would have loved to have been involved in something like this when I was a kid.

Instead, my Dad sold his '59 Duo-Glide the year before I was born, and I had to wait until I turned 18 to buy my first bike and begin making mistakes!

Since a skull fracture at age 19, I've found the MSF and proper safety gear. All is well.

Anyway, I think that Camp GEARS is a great program, and a great way to perpetuate many of the good things the MOA does. Thanks!

Hi Nancy - Our ON came, and we've filled out the form. It wants an MOA number. Our son doesn't have one yet - should we put one of ours on or just leave it blank? Want to get it out in the mail ASAP!

Cheryl

Either use one of yours or leave it blank. The MOA Foundation does not require that campers be MOA members, or even that a parent be a member. Just that the camper wants to learn something about motorcycling with other young riders.

I've heard about Camp GEARS for years. Skimmed over post rally articles in ON, and seen discussion of it on various forums. I get that it is MC training for young people.

Yesterday and this morning, I spent some time trying to find an actual description of what Camp GEARS is really. I looked on the Rally page, in the Rally FAQ and in the Rally PDF (In the schedule/descriptive pages there isn't even a description of Camp GEARS). It seems that "everyone" knows what it is, but a person who doesn't know can't find the information. From the Rally schedule, it looks to be a one day only course. But from this thread, it is two days?

Even the registration form doesn't seem to provide that information. This thread is the first place I've found a description of what Camp GEARS is.

I can't be the only person who's been wondering.

P

Camp Gears is a two-day camp for young riders, ages 16 through 26. It is held on Tuesday and Wednesday just before the rally. Voni and I hosted it for four years. Last year Don Braasch ran it and this year the Koeneman's are in charge.

It has a series of training sessions related to motorcycling. I am doing a session on basic maintenance and Voni is doing a session on packing. Usually there are sessions on First Aid, Trip Planning, Riding Skills, Etc. Sessions vary a little from year to year.

It is also very much a social experience for the young riders. Many who met four or five years ago keep in touch and plan to meet every year at the rally. It also has them acquainted and gathered together during the rally so the rally is more interesting and more fun for them even after the camp is formally over.

My son Corbett is looking forward to Camp Gears.

It's everything Paul and Voni described plus this year some of the campers will be going to the MSF Range Thursday morning for some coaching.

I'm sure it will greatly enhance his rally experience, when I'm sitting in a chair jawing with my friends he won't be captive, he'll be able to hang out some with his peers too. A win for all.

Thanks, Paul. My "complaint" is mostly that the Camp GEARS description isn't anyplace easy to find. Not on the Rally main page, or in the rally guidebook.

P

Site Access for Camp GEARS

I've also had trouble finding information. This year I went ahead and sent in the registration form for my son, unfortunately after paying for his rally registration. I sent it in late and have not heard anything yet on whether he can participate.

Since camp GEARS starts Tuesday morning, can we arrive Monday and set up camp?

Thanks!

I've also had trouble finding information. This year I went ahead and sent in the registration form for my son, unfortunately after paying for his rally registration. I sent it in late and have not heard anything yet on whether he can participate.

Since camp GEARS starts Tuesday morning, can we arrive Monday and set up camp?

Thanks!

Greetings,

I'm not in charge, not the chair and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I'm pretty sure you won't have an issue with camping Monday night.

That's what my son and I are planning on doing.

Greetings,

I'm not in charge, not the chair and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I'm pretty sure you won't have an issue with camping Monday night.

That's what my son and I are planning on doing.

What Rob said:) ...yes, you will be able to camp on Monday. Don't expect All the amenities to be in place by that time (shower trucks, food vendors, etc.), but there are plenty of restaurants, etc. near the rally site.

early arrival...

I am not a rally chair, nor do I play one on TV:

My son and I will be arriving Monday to assist in the setup and to get him set up for Camp Gears. He is so pumped, his first non-pillion rally. We did a 400 mile overnight trip last weekend to Harper's Ferry/Antietam/Gettysburg to get him ready. He's had a motorcycle license for about 45 days.

My emails with rally chairs in the past month have skecthed out some of the top stuff for Monday, and Tuesday.

Job #1. Get the Camp Gears area, and arriving campers set up so they can start having a ball Tuesday morning without a hitch, and without us parents around. :)
Yes, I am jealous. We need an old farts "Camp Creaky Knees" or something.

2. Tuesday: All the rally seminar sites need to be spiffed up, and set up for the seminars.

No doubt there will be plenty to do, and print a site map before you leave, as the registration materials might still be packed on Monday. This will come in handy when our rally commanders shout out we need you at "This hall" or "That barn".

The Thursday/Friday registration desk will be mobbed, if you can jump in on a shift to get members through registration faster, that is always a good idea. There is a lot of people coming, and whatever we can do to make lines move fast is a great help.

An old pic of a then 14 year old at his second MOA rally in Wisconsin. He's officially a rally hound.

RallyWisconsin059.jpg

See you all there!

Herb

Back