• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Timeout? No start with excess hill-hold use?

Stebe

I had an unnerving experience the other day. As I finally reached a parking place at Clingman's Dome I lost the gear indicator function as I pulled into a space. The bike, 2016 RT, would not start, would not show by dashboard indicator what gear I was in.

The last 1/2 mile or so of the climb up had been stop and go, inching forward one car length at a time, using the hill-hold function a lot. When turning the bike on, the hill-hold emblem would light up, a different color than usual, and the exclamation point symbol would flash rapidly. After trying repeatedly to restart, then trying to make sense of the information in the owners manual, so detailed :eek (not!) I eventually called the dealership. The phone was answered by a young fellow who said he'd never heard of such a thing, and the only recourse would be to connect it to a diagnostic machine. He also informed me that it would be several weeks before the shop would be able to check this out for me. 6,000 feet up the mountain, this was no help.

I did find something in the manual regarding a "Timeout", 20 minutes according to the manual, which would occur in cases of overheating. I suspect that this is what happened, although it was about 40 minutes before I was able to start the bike again.

By keeping the kickstand up and finding neutral by feel I started the bike. Putting the kickstand down, in neutral, killed the engine. Hoping for the best, we got on, started the bike with the kickstand up, and headed down the mountain. About half-way down, the gear indicator came on once again, and since then the bike has functioned normally.

So, my question is, was this just a timeout from excessive use of hill-hold? Overheated the clutch perhaps? This is my best guess. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure whether to be seriously concerned, or if this was just a normal safety intervention programmed into the machine. I asked that of the young man answering the phone at the Service Department, but, as he said "no way to know without a diagnostic machine". I'm hoping that those with more experience might have better answers. Thanks.

How old is the battery?
If I understand your post correctly, there was a lot of running without a lot of engine speed- for charging.

OM

How old is the battery?
If I understand your post correctly, there was a lot of running without a lot of engine speed- for charging.

OM

This shouldn't matter as long as the engine was running all the time through the stop and go traffic. I assume it was because the hill hold doesn't function with the main switch on and engine off.

The RT charging system at idle produces enough power to charge the battery and run the bike, at least my 2018 does. I have checked battery voltage with it idling and it has always been at 14 volts. If the power usage was above the ability of the charging system the battery volts would be lower.

I suppose the battery could be weak, but generally with engine running the battery strength is not an issue.

I did find something in the manual regarding a "Timeout", 20 minutes according to the manual, which would occur in cases of overheating. I suspect that this is what happened, although it was about 40 minutes before I was able to start the bike again.

By keeping the kickstand up and finding neutral by feel I started the bike. Putting the kickstand down, in neutral, killed the engine. Hoping for the best, we got on, started the bike with the kickstand up, and headed down the mountain. About half-way down, the gear indicator came on once again, and since then the bike has functioned normally.

So, my question is, was this just a timeout from excessive use of hill-hold? Overheated the clutch perhaps? This is my best guess. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure whether to be seriously concerned, or if this was just a normal safety intervention programmed into the machine. I asked that of the young man answering the phone at the Service Department, but, as he said "no way to know without a diagnostic machine". I'm hoping that those with more experience might have better answers. Thanks.

IMHO things got warm enough for the ECU to kick in the "time out" as you already mentioned. When you went downhill things cooled down enough for normal functions to return. Iirc there was a software update for the hill holder function some time ago, as most people, myself incl., had problems with its function. I learned to just use the foot pedal to hold the bike in place as that is much easier, at least for me.YMMV

How old is the battery?

OM

I believe I told them to replace the battery last spring at the 24,000 mile service, I never let them go more than 4 or 5 years, regardless of performance or testing. However, I'll have to check it out, I've been told things like "we load tested and it's OK" before. Not an acceptable answer when I've told you to replace the battery. However, it doesn't seem like that. The farther I get from the event, the more it seems like just an overheating issue. I was just hoping someone here could give a definitive answer.

Back