• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's mixed message

OGOBRacing

So, my 2014 r1200 GS and your wethead as well calls for 5W40 oil meeting a whole list of letter and number standards. Castrol had been BMW's recommended provider with a 5W40, but in June BMW signed a deal with Shell. Shell does not list a 5W40, only a 10W40 and up like the majority of brands. Now I assumed the engineers chose the lower viscosity for a reason, but if only because of the Castrol deal it opens up a lot more possibilities. We all have our favorite oils and the argument of what is best will never end. I've long been partial to Mobile 1, having run it in my race bikes and street bikes with never any lubrication related issue. I might dump it in the GS.

You can find Shell with the exact specifications BMW calls for.....just about anywhere! I just picked up another 4 quart jug for under $20 at Walmart.
I don't think the bike knows what is on the label of the oil going into it. As long as it meets ALL the requirements it will satisfy the warranty and performance needs. But if you want to pay for BMW oil, it is just as good as this oil is..........

Rotella%20T6_zpsofgmgvm2.jpg

I just checked and my local Walmart has it. Thanks for the info

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The notion that BMW Shell oil at dealers is the same thing as diesel-specific oil sold at Walmart is sheer fantasy.

You can find Shell with the exact specifications BMW calls for.....just about anywhere! I just picked up another 4 quart jug for under $20 at Walmart.
I don't think the bike knows what is on the label of the oil going into it. As long as it meets ALL the requirements it will satisfy the warranty and performance needs. But if you want to pay for BMW oil, it is just as good as this oil is..........

Well, supposedly, the BMW specs call for testing of clutch action with submitted oil samples in an actual wethead bike, and Rotella is not tested for that. There was a seminar at Billings which covered the spec's and tests to verify compliance with the specs. The BMW oil is the only one that is tested. YMMV.

Harry

Well, supposedly, the BMW specs call for testing of clutch action with submitted oil samples in an actual wethead bike, and Rotella is not tested for that. There was a seminar at Billings which covered the spec's and tests to verify compliance with the specs. The BMW oil is the only one that is tested. YMMV.

Harry

Just to be clear, are you saying that BMW branded oil is the only oil that should be used in the Wetheads?

I tend to agree that an oil developed primarily for diesel use would likely not be the best for a mc, although I have lots of friends who swear by Rotella.
My primary point on the Shell/Castrol. Change is the 5W40. True the BMW branded oil made by Shell is 5W40, but the BMW oil is unrealistically overpriced. If BMW is recommending Shell it ought to be available in 5W40. I wish I knew the reasoning for the 5W recommendation. Did the engineers determined the bike normally needed such a flow rate at startup or have some other valid reason.

Harry

That is oh so convenient for BMW's oil branding and marketing of their product sales.

After some research the Shell Rotella oil is not the same stuff BMW sells. The Shell helix ultra does appear to be the same as BMW as it touts using the pureplus technology..

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to be clear, are you saying that BMW branded oil is the only oil that should be used in the Wetheads?

That's what BMW is saying.

I checked with the local dealer and the price is not overly expensive, compared with say Mobil1 V-Twin oil. So I don't see any big reason not to use it.

Harry

I've been buying Castrol Power RS 5w-40 (6 pack) from Amazon for about $50 delivered to my home. I'm sticking with this...

Now I going to hide from this Oil thread

Jay

... same here on the Castrol from Am-e-zon. It's the correct weight, specs & motorcycle specific... all at a reasonable price point with free delivery & no tax for me.

"travel'n" john
15' R1200GS

The owners manual in my 2014 RT has the recommended oil written in it. Recommended is just that, recommended. Beyond that, as long as the oil you use meets ALL of the specifications, or exceeds them, it is by law approved for use. I won't go into all that here beyond saying that there is no oil brand that is required by BMW. Just an oil specification minimum that MUST be met to maintain warranty status and give expected life span of components. Shell Rotella T6 is 5w-40 weight, JASO MA2 certified, is rated higher than API SL (SM). Which exceeds BMW requirements. It is a full synthetic, however the manual does not require that. Interesting that BMW goes out of their way to warn against oil additives with Molybdenum. It is well known that this and sulphur are not friendly to engine sensors and catalytic convertors. The API SL rating is considered lower than SM. Mostly it has to do with reduced levels of sulphur and molybdenum that the SM rating dictates. It must still pass all wear tests, contaminant suspension, and so on that an SL rated oil gives. SM standards are harder to pass than SL. I'll take the higher rated oil with confidence. That said, no one here will have any issues with oil performance running the BMW branded oil, or the Castrol Racing mentioned above. The ability to find oil anywhere while on the road is comforting to me. As for it being marketed as Diesel oil, I would say a diesel engine works the oil much harder than the average RT ever would! These engines cannot read, so they won't see the label on the container. As long as the oil keeps them at peak performance they are happy!

DSC01840_zpsu2njioru.jpg

That's what BMW is saying.

I checked with the local dealer and the price is not overly expensive, compared with say Mobil1 V-Twin oil. So I don't see any big reason not to use it.

Harry

BMW can't say that one oil must be used. At least not in this country.

I tend to agree that an oil developed primarily for diesel use would likely not be the best for a mc, although I have lots of friends who swear by Rotella.
My primary point on the Shell/Castrol. Change is the 5W40. True the BMW branded oil made by Shell is 5W40, but the BMW oil is unrealistically overpriced. If BMW is recommending Shell it ought to be available in 5W40. I wish I knew the reasoning for the 5W recommendation. Did the engineers determined the bike normally needed such a flow rate at startup or have some other valid reason.

Indian specifies 20w-40. I don't see that in the stores. Guess who sells it? 5w-40 is out there at least. It could be worse.

Back