• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Advantec Oil

James: I got the same bike as you but a '94. The manual recommends the 20W-50 and a BMW bike mechanic said not to use the synthetic as it can cause head gasket leaks in later life. He recommended and uses the Spectro 4 non-synthetic (also could use semi) and that is what I use in my bike. He says the Spectro 4 is specifically formulated for the BMW bikes, high in zinc and copper content for wear protection.

Spectro 4 is all that my GS1150 has ever seen - 210,000+ miles.

Oil

Just saw this will some of the smarter people look at this oil line and give opinion? Supposed to have some ties to Joe Gibbs Racing.30E016D7-4731-4C6C-B66F-357FDEEA0CEB.png

Website says: Both DT40 and DT50 are 100% fully synthetic motor oils based on group 4 and group 5 base oils with a proprietary additive package developed exclusively for Joe Gibbs by Lubrizol and is not sold or marketed under any other name or brand."

Proprietary additive package imagine that. I couldn't find any other data, so who knows, I guess you'd have to send a sample to be tested to know what the various additive levels are. That's where the magic lies.

I had the opportunity to speak with a nice young lady years ago who was chemical engineer, designing high molecular weight polymers (viscosity index improves) needless to say the conversation expanded beyond my high school limited understanding of chemistry in the first 10 words, but a fascinating conversation none the less. According to her, it was a highly competitive industry and their research pretty closely guarded, she wouldn't say who their major clients were but did say the company she worked for designed additives for the major players.

It's an interesting subject for sure, I think the MOA podcast had a top guy from Shell on awhile back he explained the process of designing oil packages pretty well.

When its all said and done I think Paul has hit it pretty well on the head, follow manufacturers instructions, and change frequency should match riding conditions. He's got the empirical data to prove his advice is sound.

Just saw this will some of the smarter people look at this oil line and give opinion? Supposed to have some ties to Joe Gibbs Racing.View attachment 71500
It's hard to tell from their site what to expect from their oils as they don't publish any API or other ratings, other than the oil viscosity.
I stand by my earlier comment, if an oil meets the requirements for your bike, then it should be ok.
In this case, we just don't know.

They do have an air cooled motorcycle oil: http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/hd50-synthetic-15w-344html/ What's in it? Nobody knows. :dunno

What's in it? Nobody knows. :dunno

I believe that the secret to its unparalleled lubricity is the addition of finely ground unicorn bones discovered by Joe Gibbs Racing in a dense Peruvian jungle. The engine should last forever - no, longer!

Back