• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Opinions on Oil Brand for R1200RS

MagnumMike52

Just went to my local BMW dealer to purchase Advantec 5w40 oil. Parts manager said Advantec would take roughly 9 months to get, due to some Snafu with Shell. He recommended Castrol Power 1 5w40 as an alternative. This will be my 2nd oil change since purchasing the bike with 3400 miles on it. Last year I used Advantec. Interested to see what others are encountering with their dealers and what brands you are using in your boxer engines. Thanks in advance!

Shell Rotella T6 (branded for diesel engines, but has all the necessary components/additives in "moto specific" oils.)

Just went to my local BMW dealer to purchase Advantec 5w40 oil. Parts manager said Advantec would take roughly 9 months to get, due to some Snafu with Shell. He recommended Castrol Power 1 5w40 as an alternative. This will be my 2nd oil change since purchasing the bike with 3400 miles on it. Last year I used Advantec. Interested to see what others are encountering with their dealers and what brands you are using in your boxer engines. Thanks in advance!
I wonder what the dealer is now using?
OM

You're kidding, right?
It's MUCH too late in the season to start another oil thread!
That's for the middle of winter, and here we are almost to spring!
(Maybe you're NOT kidding... but I am. :) )

The Castrol will be just fine, many of us use it as our normal oil. There’s a thread here in the forum where folks post when the Castrol goes on sale at Amazon. And, while traveling you can often find it on the road at various motorcycle shops and auto parts stores.

Edit: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/threads/sale-on-castrol-power-1-4t-5w40.96586/

Best,
DeVern

Not to get caught up in the “brand wars” but I use whichever manufacturer meets the following requirements: SAE 5W-40, API SL/JASO MA2.

The big clue is that Advantec is not available because of an issue with Shell. So $19 for a quart of Shell oil. Hmmmmm……

Back