• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Head Guard Guard Removal

RFOWLER

I have a 2013 BWM R1200rt with dealer installed BMWcylinder head guards.I remember reading that there is a way to remove them without taking off the faring.Three of the York bolts are easily accessible but the top one in the back seems impossible unless there is a special tool that can get in there.
Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

I just bought the same year bike and the BMW cylinder head guards are in the top box. I take it they are not easy to install?

If you remove the lower body panel screws you might be able to pull the panels out far enough to install the engine guards. If that doesn't work you'll have to remove the body panels to access the bolt holes for the engine guards. Max BMW has a YouTube video on how to remove and install the body panels.
It's not hard to do especially after you've done it a couple of times. On my '13RT all of the body panel screws are the same size. The only different size screws are on the tank rail (four longer screws) and the glove box lid which is attached with two shorter screws.
The engine guards are attached with three bolts and couldn't be simpler to install/remove...that is, once the body panels are removed. But once the engine guards are installed they will only need to be removed when you do a valve check and in that case all the body panels have to be removed anyway.

Back