• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

aftermarket starter relay

thanks all

Thanks all, for your replies, I have also dealt with EME moto electrics, including a gear reduction starter (made in china) and is doing a good job this last few years, I was told I should have installed a higher grade starter relay, due to higher draw, and they all seemed to be 30 amp, that what is installed, so I removed the cover and could see no signs of overheating, so cleaned it up inc contact tips, and reinstalled.with heat sink grease,so all should be well for the riding season, thank you all once again, Jimmy:thumb

Thanks all, for your replies, I have also dealt with EME moto electrics, including a gear reduction starter (made in china) and is doing a good job this last few years, I was told I should have installed a higher grade starter relay, due to higher draw, and they all seemed to be 30 amp, that what is installed, so I removed the cover and could see no signs of overheating, so cleaned it up inc contact tips, and reinstalled.with heat sink grease,so all should be well for the riding season, thank you all once again, Jimmy:thumb

Glad you are up and running. One question though... Where and why would you use heat sink grease (paste?) on a starter relay? Are you confusing it with the ignition module mounted nearby?

A word of caution; I've had limited success with cleaning up (sanding or filing) point contacts or relay contacts and having them last any length of time. Usually when they get worn enough to arc etc. it's advisable to replace it or at least make sure you carry one as a spare. :thumb

thanks for the concern

Hello, I used the paste on the connections spade terminals, and your right not to emery the contact tips , I just cleaned it all up as there was no sign of overheating,I also have a spare under the seat, so all seems well ,except the snow has returned to south west Ontario, oh well! thanks again Jimmy

Back