• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where to mount the starter relay - '80 R100RS

ezwicky

Hi all,

I need a reminder where to mount the starter relay on my 1980 R100RS. I forgot to take a picture when I stripped the barn-find bike down over a year and a half ago. The frame tab has four holes and I can't remember what they are all used for. Any reminders are welcome and appreciated.

frame.jpg
relay.jpg

This is my 1978 /7:

Edgar93-L.jpg

The starter relay is toward the rear. The front relay is the horn relay.

Thanks! I don't think I have a horn relay. I don't remember removing one and my wiring diagrams don't show one. And the wiring harness doesn't have a socket for one.

What's mounted to the other two holes in the bracket?

Thanks again,

Eric

The horn relay is only if you have the dual horn set up. The starter relay mount on the same bracket. On my 77 it is mounted there.

I do have two horns. One mounted to a tab on each frame downtube. Or did you mean a dual horn like the Fiamms?

Assuming no horn relay, in my case, which hole does the starter relay socket attach to? Does it matter? Anything else goes into the other three holes?

you could take the green-field approach.
For a couple reasons I separated the relay blocks and spread them around

I used that frame bracket and a couple left over rubber mounts ( diode board type) as spacers.
The existing wires all fit.

Why yes ,that digital ignition box BRACKET is a stainless blade , bent up a bit,
from the Hardbaord Frieght oscillating saw collection

and the adjustable voltage regulator is at a funky angle for ease of adjusting w/out struggle , until final dial in
then it can be moved to its normal inclination

BMW r100 undertank wires - 1.jpeg

BMW r100 undertank wires - 2.jpeg

That looks like the stage my bike is at.

humbled ! nice work there.
:jawdrop

Favorite tweek on mine was routing the main harness / starter wires between the coils, requiring a little hammer & tong action to brackets for breathing room .... right about where the inspiration for yours seems to be growing :brow.

Favorite excuse was to keep the routing tight / minimalist .

Real reason was "couldn't make the rubber wire guide-block fit back where it was supposed to , & it was a hassle installing while still adjusting wires"

I made a spade lug for a ground above coils too, cut out from a copper ground clamp ala home depot

There are no new wires on mine IIR (specifically when breaking up the relay block)
except for the boyer 's & the replacement starter cable & batt->starter relay( 87a ) (bulky red wires)

Here's the set up on my '83 R80ST. the silver box [voltage regulator?] is attached to bottom 2 holes and the turn signal relay is attached to one of the top holes. 1 hole is unused.

E2C27063-5554-48BA-A6FA-0491480E8927.jpeg7E7877A5-91F8-4626-BD7E-BF765285FE35.jpg

Thanks eastbay. Your brackets are different from mine, but I appreciate you taking the time and posting the pics!

Back