• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 R1250RT loss of power in uphill corners

brorke

Hey guys,

I purchased a 2019 R1250 RT this past February. 7,600 miles so far and my wife & I love it. We just got home from 3 days of riding in the mountains of NC, TN and KY. I noticed a few times that the bike would loose power when accelerating out of corners going uphill. Have not had this happen prior to this trip. I was 2-up, ride mode set at ROAD, suspension set on AUTO/ROAD, riding somewhat aggressive but nothing crazy at all. Each time it happened it was coming out of an uphill corner and rolling on throttle. 2nd gear, revs at 4000-4500 and rolling on smooth and steady. Bike seemed to stumble/jerk a few times and gradually power would come back.

My concern is it felt like (what I would imagine) stripped splines jumping teeth. But I'm thinking maybe the DTC/ASC was engaging? I read that there is an incline sensor in the system. I really don't think I was riding aggressive enough where the system should have engaged but maybe ROAD mode is more sensitive than I thought. Set it to DYNAMIC on the way home today and no issues. But we weren't on the same types of roads as yesterday. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? My 2009 GSA doesn't have DTC/ASC so this is new to me. Bike is under warranty but wanted some feedback before calling the dealer. Also noticed the last time it cut out there was no DTC/ASC light on dash. And have noticed a few times over the past few weeks that I will get a random flicker of the DTC/ASC light on the dash. But read that the system will do that when adjusting to certain situations.

Anyone with Shiftcams or Wetheads experience this?

First time it happened to me was with wet roads, spirited riding, steep roads. I put it down to bike saving me from my wrist. This past week it happened many times on dry pavement with steep hilly roads. For me it would happen both coming out of corners and straight roads, the common factor was slope.
The guy I was riding with this week said to me “you can’t shut it off” and I said no, but just had a thought. There is a setting for dtc in the menu, so I’m going to try that.
8e670f4cb48b2dd47320314f5ebf0f12.jpg

First time it happened to me was with wet roads, spirited riding, steep roads. I put it down to bike saving me from my wrist. This past week it happened many times on dry pavement with steep hilly roads. For me it would happen both coming out of corners and straight roads, the common factor was slope.
The guy I was riding with this week said to me “you can’t shut it off” and I said no, but just had a thought. There is a setting for dtc in the menu, so I’m going to try that.
8e670f4cb48b2dd47320314f5ebf0f12.jpg

Any difference when you switch to Dynamic ride mode? That is supposed to make safety features less sensitive. Yes, I read you can shut off both DTC and ASC from their individual menus, but they will be active again after bike is shut off and restarted.
I don't mind the safety features at all....that's one of the reasons we bought the bike. But now that I'm used to it and riding it a little more aggressive I think they are too sensitive to the point where It felt like there was a problem. But that was in ROAD mode. I'll try dynamic some more and see if there's a difference. Maybe dealer can adjust sensitivity??? Maybe we can with a GS 911? Have to check it out

A few years back I had the DTC light come on a few times when I was riding my S1000RR on both the track and one time on the street.
I have a 2019 1250RT and typically ride solo. On occasion I ride relatively aggressive but have not seen any DTC lights come on my RT. When riding aggressively I typically ride the RT in Dynamic mode.

As you mention the Dynamic mode maybe worth trying.

A few years back I had the DTC light come on a few times when I was riding my S1000RR on both the track and one time on the street.
I have a 2019 1250RT and typically ride solo. On occasion I ride relatively aggressive but have not seen any DTC lights come on my RT. When riding aggressively I typically ride the RT in Dynamic mode.

As you mention the Dynamic mode maybe worth trying.

Yes sir....Will try it out this weekend on some mountain roads. I ran the autoscan on my GS911 yesterday. No error codes stored. I also did the DTC/ ASC reset so we'll see if that helped (make the system less sensitive). If not Im calling the dealer. Didnt notice this happening until this past weekend, but I was riding quite aggressive. Bike just turned 7600 miles

Last edited:
Yes sir....Will try it out this weekend on some mountain roads. I ran the autoscan on my GS911 yesterday. No error codes stored. I also did the DTC/ ASC reset so we'll see if that helped (make the system less sensitive). If not Im calling the dealer. Didnt notice this happening until this past weekend, but I was riding quite aggressive. Bike just turned 7600 miles

Sorry this is a little off topic but I always ride in Dynamic mode except in the wet. I do change my suspension to Road 14R1200RT

Sorry this is a little off topic but I always ride in Dynamic mode except in the wet. I do change my suspension to Road 14R1200RT

I may start as well. Im 2-up 90% of the time on this bike. Usually dont ride as aggressive as I was this past weekend so ROAD was never an issue. We'll see how dynamic works on the steeper inclines. I just found a recent thread on the RT owners Facebook page re: the bike cutting out too soon in dynamic mode as well....some even on straight roads. Software updates helped some, others still report the issue still after the update.
Dealer I purchased the bike from are great. If I still feel bike cutting out in dynamic I will give them a call

DTC kicking in?

I may start as well. Im 2-up 90% of the time on this bike. Usually dont ride as aggressive as I was this past weekend so ROAD was never an issue. We'll see how dynamic works on the steeper inclines. I just found a recent thread on the RT owners Facebook page re: the bike cutting out too soon in dynamic mode as well....some even on straight roads. Software updates helped some, others still report the issue still after the update.
Dealer I purchased the bike from are great. If I still feel bike cutting out in dynamic I will give them a call

Bill - wonder if your bike's software needs updating? When I picked up my new '18RT from MoC and checked software versions via GS-911 they were about a year old - could be there are some updated software flashes available.

Bill - wonder if your bike's software needs updating? When I picked up my new '18RT from MoC and checked software versions via GS-911 they were about a year old - could be there are some updated software flashes available.

Very possible.....Had it hooked up to my GS911 the other day to check for codes and do a reset on the DTC/ASC. Didn't check the software version (but should have). I also purchased my bike from MOC back in the end of January. I would guess they would have updated it before I picked it up and/or at the 600 mile service........But ya never know these days. I'll check the software version later. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back