• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Progress in Solving My TFT Maps Mode Connection Issues

professorb

Iron Butt Patriot
I had been struggling with the Motorrad Connected-to-TFT display issues from delivery to about two weeks ago.

tl;dr -- Upgrading to a newer phone may have made all the difference.

I had gone through every bit of the pain owners on this and other forums have described: trouble getting the Connected app to actually connect to the TFT, having to wait a ridiculously long time for the app to connect when starting a ride, having the app spuriously disconnect while on a ride, and so on. I had communicated repeatedly to the Motorrad Connected team, and had received many suggestions from Spandau including disabling the phone's connection to any "competing" WiFi network before attempting to connect the Connected app to the TFT, turning the phone "off" then back on to purge any possibility of competing apps running in the background, disconnecting the phone from my Apple Watch, and so on.

I dutifully complied. None of the aforementioned prescriptives had much of an effect on anything. Some days the connection worked pretty well, almost to the point of inspiring confidence in the system. Other days, it was a total crap show. Cumulatively I had spent about 15 hours killing time at the Dealer's while waiting for various bike system firmware updates to get installed. Not one of those updates did anything substantive toward getting the problems cured. Disconnecting from the home WiFi network and watch became a familiar annoyance at the beginning of every ride. Really, BMW, this is the best you can do?

Now for the good stuff. I finally upgraded to a new iPhone 14 Pro about two weeks ago. I had previously been using the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Big difference. Out of (now) habit I was disconnecting competing WiFi and restarting the phone before rides. The starting handshake process was still taking longer than I liked, and I still had to "force" the Connected app to enter Maps Mode sometimes, but once everything was connected and running the Map Mode appeared to be more stable than it had ever been. Could this have been the fix? Well, almost...

The older iPhone 11 had been running Bluetooth 5.1, and the modem firmware was signed at version 4.01.02. The new iPhone 14 is running Bluetooth 5.3, with modem firmware version 1.67.04. I suspect there may have been other changes to the WiFi capabilities of the newer phones under the hood, which I have no ability to discern or comment on.

While riding around my local routes I noticed the TFT would drop out of Maps Mode at some very specific places along the route. The good news now is the setup reconnects on its own within approximately 32 seconds. This, for me, represents a huge breakthrough! At a different point on my regular loop the Maps Mode connection drops, and the entire connection between phone and TFT drops (e.g. no "white arrow" mode even), but the connection restarts on its own within approximately 52 - 60 seconds.

I have taken this same route many times over the past two weeks, and have seen much the same results on each ride, suggesting some unidentified environmental factor as the cause of the interference between the phone and the TFT display. Leaking RF from overhead lines? A nearby amateur radio operator? A hidden microwave or 5G repeater? I have no idea, but the locations of the disconnections are specific within about a 1000 yard radius.

Once I saw this relationship emerging I decided to throw caution to the winds and deliberately NOT make changes to my phone's WiFi status before a ride, and to maybe even wear my Apple Watch. (On most of the rides I was not wearing the watch anyway.) The App–TFT handshake engaged as expected (okay but still too slow and a bit buggy), but once made the connection was stable -- until passing one of the known drop-spots. The App–TFT would reliably reconnect within 30 - 60 seconds depending on the severity of the disconnect.

The good news for me is the phone - to - TFT connection resets on its own almost all the time. Based on my empirical observations I am going to say the resets are successful 90 percent of the time. But not 100 percent! On yesterday's ride, I was wearing the watch, had a total disconnect of the phone app to TFT (again at one of the known dropout sites), but no reconnection this time around. More research is called for!

Maybe some of this will be helpful...? I am encouraged, but not yet thrilled. The fact that the system handshake restarts on its own most of the time is a big improvement. But I want it to be a 100 percent reconnect.

Interesting and I applaud your patience.
I purchased a 23 GS a couple months back and tried the connected app and TFT navigation on two rides, it failed several times at the very worst times. I promptly removed the app from my iphone 14 pro and went back to using Garmin V. I cannot think of a single reason why the TFT should need to be connected to a phone at this point of technology. It should have navigation built in much like a Garmin and just update over Wifi like pretty much every new car out there. This need to go to a dealer to update software is crazy. I will stick to using Garmin or Phone for navigation, perhaps someday add car play of some kind when the Garmin V fails.

Interesting and I applaud your patience.
I purchased a 23 GS a couple months back and tried the connected app and TFT navigation on two rides, it failed several times at the very worst times. I promptly removed the app from my iphone 14 pro and went back to using Garmin V. I cannot think of a single reason why the TFT should need to be connected to a phone at this point of technology. It should have navigation built in much like a Garmin and just update over Wifi like pretty much every new car out there. This need to go to a dealer to update software is crazy. I will stick to using Garmin or Phone for navigation, perhaps someday add car play of some kind when the Garmin V fails.

Without defending BMW's support of the RT TFT, the app-based navigation is much more elegant than a dedicated GPS. The navigation system doesn't need an update from a dealer, the updates are done through the Connected app (via the app store) and the mobile phone. The firmware updates provided by the dealer mostly attend to the bike's infrastructure and have been few and far between - as opposed to the app updates which have been coming regularly. My '22 bike with the original firmware worked fine with the phone - I've only had one firmware update that was done at the initial service required because I added the radio.

I solved my initial connectivity issues between the phone and the TFT with settings on the phone.

I was not initially a huge fan of the TFT setup but finally decided to buy a phone dedicated to the bike as i didn't want my "good" phone inside the hot box all day long.

The biggest problem now is that every now and then the bike's wifi connects to my REAL phone and not the bike's phone which screws the entire process up.

I find it hard to believe that the system connects to a phone NOT running the BMW app instead of going to the phone that it is actually paired to.

Nothing like running down the highway (I usually don't wait for the map to come up) to realize that it's never coming up because it's wified to the wrong phone.

Turning off the wifi of the offending phone obviously solves the problem but come on, really?

AD

Last edited:
I was not initially a huge fan of the TFT setup but finally decided to buy a phone dedicated to the bike as i didn't want my "good" phone inside the hot box all day long.

The biggest problem now is that every now and then the bike's wifi connects to my REAL phone and not the bike's phone which screws the entire process up.

I find it hard to believe that the system connects to a phone NOT running the BMW app instead of going to the phone that it is actually paired to.

Nothing like running down the highway (I usually don't wait for the map to come up) to realize that it's never coming up because it's wified to the wrong phone.

Turning off the wifi of the offending phone obviously solves the problem but come on, really?

AD

Assuming this is a pair of iPhones you are talking about - having them configured to auto-join the bike's WiFi network and Keychain setup on both devices will cause this to happen. If you turn off the Keychain on your bike phone and "forget" the bike's WiFi connection on the "real" phone - this won't happen. As for your "hard to believe" - WiFi connections are not related to what apps are running - the phone's networking infrastructure needs to be independent of apps for a whole host of reasons.

I had been struggling with the Motorrad Connected-to-TFT display issues from delivery to about two weeks ago.

tl;dr -- Upgrading to a newer phone may have made all the difference.

While riding around my local routes I noticed the TFT would drop out of Maps Mode at some very specific places along the route. The good news now is the setup reconnects on its own within approximately 32 seconds. This, for me, represents a huge breakthrough! At a different point on my regular loop the Maps Mode connection drops, and the entire connection between phone and TFT drops (e.g. no "white arrow" mode even), but the connection restarts on its own within approximately 52 - 60 seconds.
I have the same issue with my wireless android auto connection in my truck. It uses both BT and Wi-Fi similar to the BMW TFT connection. There are a few spots the android auto will drop out during regularly traveled routes and reconnect within 10-15 seconds. Interestingly enough, the BMW TFT has no issue at these same location using the same phone or my usual bike phone.

I think it's most likely interference with the Wi-Fi portion of the connection. If I sit in one of the spots it will usually reconnect but be flaky. Drive 100 feet and it'll be rock solid.

/shrug

Connected app v. 5.0.0 is here! Is this the fix we've waited two years for?

I was gearing up for today's ride and noticed the Motorrad Connected app had indeed, "as if by magic", been updated to version 5.0.0. I did not even have to download the new version from the App Store. It was there. I live in southwestern Connecticut.

I was prompted to download the new maps, which I did. I then shut the iPhone off completely, then rebooted, then launched the Connected app.

Immediately noticed a big improvement in road hierarchy contrast -- significant roads are now a sturdy green color and are rendered somewhat broader - "bolder" - than in earlier versions of the app. There seems to be an attempt to do a better job labeling significant features within the map view. The text size is still too damn small to be useful -- does BMW really think these bikes are being bought by eighteen-year-olds? (Yeah, Grumpy Old Man time here.)

Most importantly, THE APP DID NOT DISCONNECT once during my sortie. As mentioned in earlier posts there are (were?) some dependable points in my local rides that forced the app to disconnect Maps Mode from the TFT. I had been buoyed by the new iPhone 14 Pro's ability to re-connect Maps Mode somewhat reliably, a big improvement over the old iPhone 11 Pro Max's capabilities. But today, for now, no disconnections at all. Be still my heart... can the fix we have been waiting for lo these past two long years finally be here?

The only hiccup occurred when I stopped for gas. The Connected app did reconnect to the TFT when I restarted the bike, but the Maps Mode connection did not immediately reengage. I had to take the phone from the compartment and swipe "up" on the Home Screen to reveal the Motorrad Connected app which was dutifully running in the background. Within seconds the Maps Mode was reconnected to the TFT and stayed so for the remainder of the ride.

So I think this is a major upgrade, a major improvement, and is about the way the app should have been two years ago when we first got our newfangled TFT bikes. Still needs work on the maps text size etc. etc., but I finally feel like I can ride somewhere meaningful with this setup.

Now, if BMW can figure out how to get my entire iPhone music library and playlists to appear in the Media menu...??!? Seems my "traveling" collection of just over 11,000 songs grouped into 84 playlists is too much for the savants in Spandau. But I'd rather have text I can read on my maps than functional playlists, just sayin'.

And while they are at it, maybe a redesigned charging/cooling compartment that will fit the newer iPhones with their deeper lens protrusions? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

From "triumph" to Despair: It Was Too Good To Be True!

I may have kicked myself in the yarbles...

As recounted above, I had the first absolutely "perfect" Connected app-to-TFT riding experience a few days ago shortly after upgrading the Motorrad Connected app to version 5.0.0. It wasn't really "perfect", but "close enough for rock 'n roll" as we say.

I used to tell my students about the SoHappy chip inside their computers -- clever technology that could detect when the user was content and happy, blithely pursuing whatever tasks at hand. At a certain threshold of happiness and contentment this mythical chip would signal the computer to crash causing the student to lose all their work in progress. This was my wan attempt to get them to look at file backups as a near-religious obligation.

A version of that dang chip must be present in the dangity dang iPhone I'm using.

Not thinking as clearly as usual, a common state of affairs these days, I blithely allowed my iPhone to accept the latest signed update from Apple, iOS 16.5 (20F66). (I *think* I had been running 16.4.1 (20E252) prior to this update.)

On my next ride, NOTHING WORKED. The Connected app struggled to connect to the TFT display, Maps Mode all but refused to engage, and for the rare moments when the app was communicating with the Navigation system it would soon disconnect completely. This happened over and over, even after stopping repeatedly to restart the phone, restart the bike, attempt to re-synchronize the app to the TFT, and on and on...

I have reported all of this to the Motorrad Connected team -- there is no response as yet, but that wouldn't be a surprise if I am right in this conjecture that the newest software from Apple has forced the BMW programmers back to the table, or has possibly broken something else in the Phone that used to work. The Motorrad team may be getting a flood of problem reports.

I will get a chance to make another test ride tomorrow, so we will see what happens then. So frustrating, 'cause I was SO CLOSE!! SoHappy... So I thought...

I will keep y'all posted...

<snip>
Not thinking as clearly as usual, a common state of affairs these days, I blithely allowed my iPhone to accept the latest signed update from Apple, iOS 16.5 (20F66). (I *think* I had been running 16.4.1 (20E252) prior to this update.)

On my next ride, NOTHING WORKED. The Connected app struggled to connect to the TFT display, Maps Mode all but refused to engage, and for the rare moments when the app was communicating with the Navigation system it would soon disconnect completely. This happened over and over, even after stopping repeatedly to restart the phone, restart the bike, attempt to re-synchronize the app to the TFT, and on and on...

I have reported all of this to the Motorrad Connected team -- there is no response as yet, but that wouldn't be a surprise if I am right in this conjecture that the newest software from Apple has forced the BMW programmers back to the table, or has possibly broken something else in the Phone that used to work. The Motorrad team may be getting a flood of problem reports.

I will get a chance to make another test ride tomorrow, so we will see what happens then. So frustrating, 'cause I was SO CLOSE!! SoHappy... So I thought...

I will keep y'all posted...

Well, it’s all Bluetooth comms so the first rule after updating anything in the BT chain is to delete all connections, reboot all devices, and re-establish the connections. Headsets, phones, TFTs, GPSs, etc. That may help you get things working again.

The problem here is not Apple, nor Google’s Android. Both make their updated versions available to developers prior to public release, so developers have an opportunity for testing and reporting any issues. But that assumes developers are actively engaged in finding and fixing bugs and continuously updating their apps. The Connected app was originally released in what I would consider an early beta version and the pace of advance in updates, fixes, and features has been glacial. And I suspect that efforts in those areas have focused mainly on getting the things that BMW sells, like their proprietary comm system and TFT, working together.

So yeah, bark at the Connected developers and ask BMW why they didn’t just license Car Play and Android Auto. But take it from those of us waiting for BMW and Garmin to fix the screen ghosting issues on the Nav VI; don’t hold your breath.

Best,
DeVern

. ... that assumes developers are actively engaged in finding and fixing bugs and continuously updating their apps. The Connected app was originally released in what I would consider an early beta version and the pace of advance in updates, fixes, and features has been glacial.

Exactamundo!

Without defending BMW's support of the RT TFT, the app-based navigation is much more elegant than a dedicated GPS.

I'd say that is a matter of opinion. I found the connect app to be lacking in comparison to the Garmin's I've been using so much that I purchased a Zumo XT. The maps and display on the connect app are just basic and the contrast between things is poor, IMO. I also didn't like the way the connect app took over my TFT screen. Of course, this is all personal preference and if people like that, then great. On a side note, I do like the way the connect app adds the speed limit adjacent to my speed. That's awesome. I'm hoping that the connect app, which appears to be in its infancy, will get much better year-by-year to make it a better option and replacement to a GPS unit.

Assuming this is a pair of iPhones you are talking about - having them configured to auto-join the bike's WiFi network and Keychain setup on both devices will cause this to happen. If you turn off the Keychain on your bike phone and "forget" the bike's WiFi connection on the "real" phone - this won't happen.

Finally decided to just give the "bike phone" its own identity (new Apple ID) instead of mirroring my good phone. This way the wifi connections I need to connect with stay on the good phone and the only one I need for the bike stays with that phone.

The bike wifi still needs to "join" manually when I'm at the house, but once out on the road it connects automatically after any shutdown during the ride.

The only reason it's needs the manual connection is because that bike phone needs to log into the home network for updates and all that jazz.

Once connected, even with the older version of the software, I've had a really good wifi connection with the TFT all over the country and really can't remember ANY dropouts.

AD

Did I Figure Out My Connected App Problems?

Aha! I think I’ve solved the problem… at least my problem…

tl;dr — Log out of your Motorrad Connected account (in the app) then log back in. This may have fixed all the connectivity and stability issues I had been struggling with.

I went mega meshuga trying to figure out a fix for my suddenly non-stable navigation system. I get a bit OCD about these things. Cutting to the chase I tried deleting then reinstalling the app and re-downloaded the new maps. Needed to log in as part of that process. Still the same problem — gross problems with both the maps mode and app connectivity. Tried disconnecting the battery for a while thinking that might better “reset” the onboard computer… what do I know…? No change. Spent the better part of an afternoon trying to get the app to synchronize and hoping the maps mode would work. Nothing, nada, bupkis, stinko. I sent a long, detailed problem report to the Motorrad Connected team begging for help.

Five minutes after sending the email I had a twinkling of inspiration… the only thing I hadn’t tried was logging out of the app then logging back in. Why should that matter… I had already logged in when I downloaded and re-installed the app in my desperation? The app would not let me log out… curious. I shut down the phone, then rebooted. Went back to the app and this time was allowed to log out. Logged back in with my username/email and password. Boom, the app was back in play.

I turned on the bike, launched the app — the synchronization routine began, and the app was connected within about 20 seconds. As soon as this first layer of synchronization engaged the “starting map mode” sequence began, now requiring only 5 seconds to put the maps up on the TFT display. I waited for it to crash, but it didn’t. I next tried the “torture test” — using the multicontroller to turn off map mode in the Navigation screen, then turning it back on — IT WORKED flawlessly!

So that’s my adventure… so simple, but not necessarily obvious. Further testing to come…

Hope this helps someone struggling with similar issues

Why am I Always Asked to Join the WiFi on the Motorrad App?

Every time I start my 2023 K1600B I have to cajole the app into starting map mode. Even after riding for hours, stopping for a meal, and restarting, I have to try and get the map mode to work. Today I kept getting the error “unable to join network.” I am using my iPhone 12 Pro Max with the most current iOS. IMHO, once the connection to the bike is made, it should work. I read through some other posts about making sure I don’t have a private WiFi and this setting has never been on. Am I missing something?

Why am I Always Asked to Join the WiFi on the Motorrad App?

Every time I start my 2023 K1600B I have to cajole the app into starting map mode. Even after riding for hours, stopping for a meal, and restarting, I have to try and get the map mode to work. Today I kept getting the error “unable to join network.” I am using my iPhone 12 Pro Max with the most current iOS. IMHO, once the connection to the bike is made, it should work. I read through some other posts about making sure I don’t have a private WiFi and this setting has never been on. Am I missing something?
No- this is yet another issue plaguing IOS. It's not your phone- it's BMW's clown show software team. I bet your iPhone auto connects to every other damn WIFI out there without issue, yeah? So don't drive yourself up the wall trying to fix it on your end.

I've attached a pdf of a quick connect process and general wisdom geared towards getting up and running, Navigating the quirky stuff, and also to help set expectations so [new owners especially] can control what they can, and not sweat the rest.

Attachments

• tft connection and tips.pdf
    156.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back