• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Connected Ride Navigator - Issues?

collingsbob

One of the You-Tubers that I follow (@EuropeanMotorcycleTours) posted a video recently about his removal of the mount & wiring for the GPS because he was tired of the issues he was encountering with the Connected Ride Navigator..
To Whit:
They have issues with the app you can’t download maps and the way it connects if you ever been in the side of the road messing with nav 5 and 6 trying to get connected you know what I mean.
And:
Issues with the device connecting to the phone to bike…

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Mine works great.

It does not connect to the bike using bluetooth and all connections like phone and cardo have to go through the CRN.

I added a SIM card to it on a cheap monthly prepaid plan to get live traffic updates on it. Not required but nice to have.

Wonderwheel connects via the nav prep and gives you full control of the CRN.

I think that relying on a cel signal for map updates might not be the best idea…and I think that importing tracks and routes is done differently than how Garmin does it.
I’ve got 45-60 days to decide on the Connected Ride Device…or the Garmin XT2…

I’ve got 45-60 days to decide on the Connected Ride Device…or the Garmin XT2…

A no-brainer for me: XT2. Between the limitations of Connected Ride device and/or cell phone adapter/app, and the well-known Nav VI reliability problems (which is a shame -- all of my previous generation BMW Navigators were rock-solid), it was easy to chose the larger, brighter, easier-to-read-in-the-sun display and faster performance of the new-generation XT2.

Sierra BMW has the Connected Ride Navigator for $801 the next three days.

BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Navigator

Head for the most beautiful locations in the world while always keeping the destination in your sights - the new BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Navigator connects every BMW with navigation preparation to the roads of the world.

The hardware and software of the new BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Navigator are compatible with all BMW motorcycles built from 2014 onwards (with restrictions), provided they have a multi-controller and if navigation preparation is already installed or has been retrofitted as part of the Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.

We have 25 units in stock today with another 200 on the way!

*Special Note: this is NOT a Garmin product.
Happy New Year to all the Beta Riders!

Save 10% on ANYTHING IN THE STORE.

Enter code
RIDEBETA at checkout.

*Excludes all motorcycles. Offer ends 01/01/2024 at 11:59pm (PST). While supplies last. Some Restrictions may apply. FREE shipping on orders over $50 in the US Lower 48.

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/c...zRGR0Mz/information?channel=buy_button&ew_m=f

I bought a NAV VI about six months ago, shortly after purchasing my bike. I'm not impressed. For starters, I see it as being simply an overpriced Nuvi. The things that I disliked about Nuvi 10+ years ago remain. While driving, it tells you, "ABC Road Ahead". But it doesn't tell you how FAR ahead. It could be 100 feet or it could be 2 miles. The other thing that really p***es me off: The lack of battery capacity. I hadn't used it in about a month. And it was at least half charged the last time I put it away. I went for a ride yesterday and the darn thing wouldn't power up. Low battery. When it's connected in the cradle, it should be able to operate - in my opinion - regardless of battery status. After all, isn't it receiving power from the bike?

Oh well. It's sort of like my Cardo speaker/intercom. I'm not impressed with it, either. I'll likely sell the NAV - at a tremendous loss - at the same time that I sell the Cardo. Live and learn.

BTW: Anybody interested in either one? I'll make you a good deal on both.

Last edited:
I bought a NAV VI about six months ago, shortly after purchasing my bike. I'm not impressed. For starters, I see it as being simply an overpriced Nuvi. The things that I disliked about Nuvi 10+ years ago remain. While driving, it tells you, "ABC Road Ahead". But it doesn't tell you how FAR ahead. It could be 100 feet or it could be 2 miles. The other thing that really p***es me off: The lack of battery capacity. I hadn't used it in about a month. And it was at least half charged the last time I put it away. I went for a ride yesterday and the darn thing wouldn't power up. Low battery. When it's connected in the cradle, it should be able to operate - in my opinion - regardless of battery status. After all, isn't it receiving power from the bike?

Oh well. It's sort of like my Cardo speaker/intercom. I'm not impressed with it, either. I'll likely sell the NAV - at a tremendous loss - at the same time that I sell the Cardo. Live and learn.

BTW: Anybody interested in either one? I'll make you a good deal on both.
PLEASE REMEMBER-
There is no WTB or WTS here on the main forum as there is no cleanup and someone may see something like this years from now and not realize it. We have the Marketplace for used or needed gear.
TIA
The Mod Team.

Sierra BMW has the Connected Ride Navigator for $801 the next three days.

BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Navigator

Head for the most beautiful locations in the world while always keeping the destination in your sights - the new BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Navigator connects every BMW with navigation preparation to the roads of the world.

The hardware and software of the new BMW Motorrad ConnectedRide Navigator are compatible with all BMW motorcycles built from 2014 onwards (with restrictions), provided they have a multi-controller and if navigation preparation is already installed or has been retrofitted as part of the Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.

We have 25 units in stock today with another 200 on the way!

*Special Note: this is NOT a Garmin product.
Happy New Year to all the Beta Riders!

Save 10% on ANYTHING IN THE STORE.

Enter code RIDEBETA at checkout.

*Excludes all motorcycles. Offer ends 01/01/2024 at 11:59pm (PST). While supplies last. Some Restrictions may apply. FREE shipping on orders over $50 in the US Lower 48.

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/c...zRGR0Mz/information?channel=buy_button&ew_m=f

Does the CRN work with RT/GT bikes, or are all the weasel words there to exclude those?

I think it depends on what year. You have to have the navigation prep package which I think went away on RTs when they got the wide TFT.
On the bmw website, the RT and K16 with nav prep are compatible but on Sierra BMW's website, it's not. Someone on an FB group had his dealer order it and it doesn't fit.

From Sierra BMW's website:
Screenshot_20240114_114046_Chrome.jpg

On the bmw website, the RT and K16 with nav prep are compatible but on Sierra BMW's website, it's not. Someone on an FB group had his dealer order it and it doesn't fit.

From Sierra BMW's website:
View attachment 96387
Makes sense that it doesn't work with the in-dash nav dock, as I've assumed. I can't imagine how it would fit. The connector on the back of the CRN has to be off-center to fit in the open cradle, but that would place the CRN off-center in the RT/GT dash, and there just isn't room for it to be off to the side (and it'd look terrible).

Back