• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 R1200GS - Throttle-Body Replacement Guidance

dcslowman

For the reasons documented in gory detail in this post on AdvRider, I need to replace (at least) the right side throttle-body module on my 2015 R1200GS. Hoping someone here has done this before and can offer some guidance on the following:

1. Is it required or recommended that the throttle body modules be replaced in pairs? [I hope not, considering the cost :-o]
  2. I've found a few used modules from various internet sources, although particularly considering the labor involved in doing this replacement I really want to be confident that any used one I buy is in good shape. Are these a known wear item, such that a used module off a high-mileage bike is likely to be suspect?
  3. From the BMW manual, the replacement job looks to be pretty straight-forward, although I've been fooled before by seemingly simple factory repair instructions. I haven't yet found any online videos for this repair for the LC GS model - anyone aware of one I might have missed, or otherwise have any important lessons-learned from the job?
  4. Once I've replaced the throttle body module, will the ECU automatically recognize it, or is there additional work required to make this happen? If so, can I do it with my GS911 or will this be a dealer-only activity?
  5. Anything else I should be aware of in moving forward with this repair?

TIA for any guidance.

Dave

For the reasons documented in gory detail in this post on AdvRider, I need to replace (at least) the right side throttle-body module on my 2015 R1200GS. Hoping someone here has done this before and can offer some guidance on the following:

1. Is it required or recommended that the throttle body modules be replaced in pairs? [I hope not, considering the cost :-o]
  2. I've found a few used modules from various internet sources, although particularly considering the labor involved in doing this replacement I really want to be confident that any used one I buy is in good shape. Are these a known wear item, such that a used module off a high-mileage bike is likely to be suspect?
  3. From the BMW manual, the replacement job looks to be pretty straight-forward, although I've been fooled before by seemingly simple factory repair instructions. I haven't yet found any online videos for this repair for the LC GS model - anyone aware of one I might have missed, or otherwise have any important lessons-learned from the job?
  4. Once I've replaced the throttle body module, will the ECU automatically recognize it, or is there additional work required to make this happen? If so, can I do it with my GS911 or will this be a dealer-only activity?
  5. Anything else I should be aware of in moving forward with this repair?

TIA for any guidance.

Dave

I have a 2016 RT, I replaced my right TB in April probably for the same code you are getting.
I bough extra clamps for the intake tubing, I did not need it. I also bought the special pliers from NAPA for the clamps that helped but they are a PIA to reinstall.
I only replaced the right TB and ran the sync and twist grip recalibration with the GS911. I think I also performed the idle balance (or whatever its called)

While reading the long thread on ADV rider I saw where one dealer was advised by BMW to take the connectors off the ECU and reseat to help clean the contacts.
I went one step further I took the connectors off the ECU and twist grip and applies Stabilant22 to the pins and sockets (can buy on Amazon, needs to be mixed with 99% alcohol). I also applied it to the connector and pins on the TB I replaced.

Just got back form a 7,000 mile trip out west no issues.

Not a bad job just take your time

https://www.amazon.com/Stabilant-5ml-Kit-Makes-30ml/dp/B001E50GQS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1PHTD4B96M6OU&keywords=stabilant+22&qid=1691949547&sprefix=stabillant22%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Thanks for that info & link. I have actually found a couple of used ones from low-mileage bikes, at reasonable prices (around $185). And I can get a new one from my local dealer at a 15% discount (i.e., about $730). Now I'm just trying to decide whether there's a compelling reason to buy new.

Dave

Bing https://www.bingcarburetor.com/throttlebodies.html#/ also sells complete throttle bodies; maybe they have a good used one or a new one might be cheaper than the dealer...

Ask Bing if they go thru 'em - and rebuild if/as necessary - before they sell 'em...

Back