• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200GS Garmin GPS 2820 Powering on and off - Canbus issue?

Grover

ShinySideUp
Recently I added a Garmin 2820 to the bike using the GARMIN StreetPilot 2820 GPS DATA BMW Amplifier Harness Kit Cable. This attaches just below the handlebars to a white pin connector. The GPS powered up and I was ecstatic. The GPS then powered off after about three minutes, stayed off for a few minutes, and then came back on. Never really long enough to get a fix. I restored the GPS to defaults while it was on quickly and it stayed on. Turned the bike off and the same thing started all over again. The Garmin is fully updated. I did not have this problem when it was directly connected to the battery on my RT, but I no longer have that wiring harness. This is a BMW part I am using to connect the GPS to the amplifier cable. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this issue?
Thank you!

My guess would be a bad connection or faulty cable

Mine is connected to the GPS cable (CANBus) in front of the bike.
On the same cable I have: GPS (Zumo 350LM),TPMS(Steelmate P-90) & phone USB charger.

No issues

The GPS power is wired in parallel to the auxiliary outlet on your GS..

So - to figure out if it's a short or an open causing the problem, hook something up to the auxiliary outlet (a BMW spotlite would be ideal - came with a BMW connector even..) and then turn the bike on.

If the spotlight goes out when the GPS powers off - the circuit thinks it saw a short and shut itself off. I rather doubt this is the case since you mentioned it coming back on by itself.. usually to clear the power you have to cycle the key.

If the spotlight stays on and the GPS turns off - start looking for the bad connection. Make sure the connector on the back of the GPS is clean and oil-free. Check that the plug into the wiring harness is fully inserted and locked in place by the catch.

HTH, it certainly should work, I used a 2720 for a number of years on my '07 R1200R with the same setup, then later a NAV-III.

Checked the issue after your post

The GPS power is wired in parallel to the auxiliary outlet on your GS..

So - to figure out if it's a short or an open causing the problem, hook something up to the auxiliary outlet (a BMW spotlite would be ideal - came with a BMW connector even..) and then turn the bike on.

If the spotlight goes out when the GPS powers off - the circuit thinks it saw a short and shut itself off. I rather doubt this is the case since you mentioned it coming back on by itself.. usually to clear the power you have to cycle the key.

If the spotlight stays on and the GPS turns off - start looking for the bad connection. Make sure the connector on the back of the GPS is clean and oil-free. Check that the plug into the wiring harness is fully inserted and locked in place by the catch.

HTH, it certainly should work, I used a 2720 for a number of years on my '07 R1200R with the same setup, then later a NAV-III.

Thank you for the reply. I was out of town on vacation and finally had the time to troubleshoot when I returned last week.

Interestingly enough, I discovered while following your instructions, that the power to the GPS only cuts off while the engine is running. I turned on the GPS while the bike ignition was on, no motor running, and no problem. Right after I started the engine, the power cut off again. While motor was running, I unplugged the GPS, plugged it back in, and no GPS power. I turned off the motor, plugged the GPS back in....power to the GPS!

Does that ring any possible bells as to the reason?

Thanks again.

Is there anything else connected to that circuit? Something that might be jarred or moved by the engine running? It isn't normal behavior for sure..

Nothing that I know of. I'm wondering if there is some kind of software issue perhaps? The wire to the GPS was never used prior to connecting it to the Garmin. Perhaps there is a setting I don't know about. A mystery....

Nothing that I know of. I'm wondering if there is some kind of software issue perhaps? The wire to the GPS was never used prior to connecting it to the Garmin. Perhaps there is a setting I don't know about. A mystery....

After running my GPS (ZUMO 350LM) for 4 years with no issues, It's starting to disconnect/reconnect from the power source by itself.
I've read on other forums that the Garmin cable can become bad after a few years and loose connections.
I've ordered a new cable and will replace mine.
Hopefully that will solve my problem. If not, then the problem is with the GPS unit itself which is more serious.

I had that same problem with my StreetPilot. The brass contacts on the end that slide into the GPS get weak and don't make good contact, especially when vibrating a lot. I ordered a new one from EBay and was shipped one that was already kaput. Sent it back for a full refund and changed vendors which solved the problem.

I had that same problem with my StreetPilot. The brass contacts on the end that slide into the GPS get weak and don't make good contact, especially when vibrating a lot. I ordered a new one from EBay and was shipped one that was already kaput. Sent it back for a full refund and changed vendors which solved the problem.

Got a new cable for my Zumo 350LM

Problem solved

Short memories guys.

Several Garmins are well know to have battery spring contacts that are a bit on the soft side (also a common issue on many German cars with those cheap leaf spring bulb contacts). Open your Garmin, clean contacts with a pencil eraser, bend for better contact and reassemble. Bet your problem goes away.

I've personally fixed 2 of these for friends with the same problem and one for myself.

Short memories guys.

Several Garmins are well know to have battery spring contacts that are a bit on the soft side (also a common issue on many German cars with those cheap leaf spring bulb contacts). Open your Garmin, clean contacts with a pencil eraser, bend for better contact and reassemble. Bet your problem goes away.

I've personally fixed 2 of these for friends with the same problem and one for myself.

AFAIK The Garmin Zumo 350 is sealed (waterproof) and cannot be opened. It doesn't look like the contacts are on any kind of spring either.

Follow up

I had a look at my Zumo 350LM and it can be opened. There are screws in the back. The contacts are not on springs though.
I think that the contacts on the cradle wear off after a few years and make the connection more erratic.

Here was my fix

This is a bit late to the discussion but for what it's worth... My Garmin started doing the same thing this past year after 4 or 5 years. I ordered a new cable which didn't solve the problem. I found a fix though... There is a plate on the mounting bracket the Garmin snaps into. I guess it's designed to hold the plug from working loose while riding. I wedged a little folded paper between the plug and plastic bracket, problem solved! I guess the wiring socket on Garmin is a bit worn and the power connection flashes on and off. With the paper wedge it makes a more firm connection. I'm going to glue a little piece of black foam onto the bracket for a better fix that I don't need to think about. My guess is that the connection may go bad at some point but I bet I'll get a few more years with this fix.

I had a 2820 for a long time, but the limited memory space and the increasing file size of the maps constrained its use. Garmin gave me a lower price model if I returned the 2820 to them. I did and sold that for $150 and bought a Nav V new for $640. I sure did like that 2820. Nothing fancy, a very solid unit which worked well.

Back