• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100GS Transmission Install: Tiny parts on bolts, what are they for?

gotfog

I have the rebuilt transmission in my possession, and decided to mount it back to rear of engine tonight. It has been a few weeks since I removed it, and my notes are less than copious, so that now I am unsure as to how these tiny bits are to be aligned, and furthermore, what are they for?

First bit:
The bottom sets of bolts that hold the transmission to the engine block, had this black-strap thing mounted with these two bolts. Did I orient it correctly? And two, what does it do? What does the flange do, which is shown on the left, bent forward, from the lower left screw?
View attachment 61083

Second bit:
On the left side of the engine, when facing forward, the middle bolt had this little curl-thing on it, shown at the tip of the screwdriver. Is it oriented correctly, and what did it hold?
View attachment 61088

Third bit:
On the right side of the engine, when facing towards the front, the middle bolt again had a small pointed strap. I oriented it in a way that seemed to fit, so again, is it oriented correctly, and what does it do?
View attachment 61089

Thanks for taking the time with my puzzle, but I am striking out on the micro-fiche, manual, and service CD.

John(I used to know what they were for)

Last edited:
Third picture tiny clip

The tiny clip on the right side looks to be the clip that holds the O2 sensor wire in place. First picture could be of the clip that holds the starter cable or other higher voltage wire. Second picture would be "your guess is as good as mine but later today I'll look under my slow moving 850 R Scrambler project and see if it has the same bracket.

Ok someone else has pointed out to me the bottom bracket is reversed. It is in a Harris Video, the long one on Trans repair and removal. I have to fli it. Yes I think you are right about the right side as well.
Thanks.

The bottom "bar" needs to be flipped. It and the clip in the third photo guide the O2 sensor wire. I'm not sure on the U shaped one in the 2nd photo, and Voni just rode away on her R1100 so I can't go look.

Since that black bracket 's turned portion is on the starter motor side, does it help support the motor in any way? Can you see any marks around the holes to determine which side the bolts were on or marks that match the contour of the transmission.

The bottom "bar" needs to be flipped. It and the clip in the third photo guide the O2 sensor wire. I'm not sure on the U shaped one in the 2nd photo, and Voni just rode away on her R1100 so I can't go look.
Thanks Paul, you are right about the bottom bar and the O2 guide. I will figure out the left one eventually.

Since that black bracket 's turned portion is on the starter motor side, does it help support the motor in any way? Can you see any marks around the holes to determine which side the bolts were on or marks that match the contour of the transmission.

I found a reference that shows correct orientation in a Harris Video jagarra. I have to flip it. Thanks for the thoughts

Looks like you are squared away on rotating the bottom the bottom and both it and the the right clip being for the 02 wire. The one on the left has the carbon cannister purge line to the left throttle body nipple running through it unless you have removed the cannister and capped the nipple. In that case, I generally use it to route the TPS and ground wire heading to the left throttle body. I've also used to to secure a SAE plug from the battery for easy charging access.

Looks like you are squared away on rotating the bottom the bottom and both it and the the right clip being for the 02 wire. The one on the left has the carbon cannister purge line to the left throttle body nipple running through it unless you have removed the cannister and capped the nipple. In that case, I generally use it to route the TPS and ground wire heading to the left throttle body. I've also used to to secure a SAE plug from the battery for easy charging access.
Yes. That's it. Thanks rx.

Back