• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1989 R100RT Charging Voltage and AC Ripple

Scarletswirl

Disclaimer: Before posting this, I looked into Snowbum's electrical articles to see if I could find the answer there. If it is, I missed it, sorry Bob!

Premise: I have installed a 600W Omega system on my '89 R100RT. This involves a higher output alternator, an adjustable regulator, and a much more robust diode board. I also installed an Odyssey 925L battery. After about 1000 miles on it, the system has given me no problems. Until I did a long trip to the Tail of the Dragon, with a total of 1200 miles, many of which on highways at 65-75 mph.

Here are the symptoms: Analog voltage gauge starts very low, less than 12, progressively moves up past 15 (red zone) and camps out there. On occasion, the needle goes erratic and pegs high. All this I initially attributed to a bad volt meter (they do fail, and this is 30+ years old...). Initially, I thought I might have set the VR too high.

In spite of this, the bike started every morning without issue, although one time, just after starting it, I used may horn and realized it wouldn't work with the bike at idle (voltage too low). Other than that, no apparent problems.

After I got home, I tested the volt gauge (off the bike) against a variable voltage source and noted that, while it reads a bit low around 12 volts, overall it tracks fine. Could it be that the bearing and dampening system are kaput?

I also tested the battery with two different testers, one of which also analyzes the charging system. Both told me the battery was OK, with a voltage in excess of 12.8 volts and more than 400 CCA (rating is 330). However, when I tested it again the following day, both told me the battery had less than 90 CCA and needed replacement (!). Without any charging in between, I tested it again today, and wouldn't you know it, both of them say it's a good battery. Cold started the bike and it started with no hesitation. However, the tester that checks the charging system also told me that the ripple is 1.3 volt.

I checked my other Airhead, which has an identical setup, and the ripple is around 0.4 volt.

Questions:
1. What should the ripple be? In other words, what is an acceptable value? 0.4 seems already a bit high, but maybe OK, 1.3 sounds excessive to me, but I'm no expert.
2. If the ripple is excessive, what can I do to smooth it out? (Change Voltage Regulator? Change Diode Board? Add a capacitor somewhere?)
3. Has anyone else experienced these weird symptoms? (Erratic voltage gauge and difficult to assess battery health)

Thanks for any input,
Marc

Marc -

Not much on the forum about ripple, other than the occasional Grateful Dead reference!! I also checked the Airheads email archives and don't find too much on ripple. Oak did mention that there is some in the system, as you note, but too much can present problems for today's newer batteries...I guess they don't tolerate the wave of voltages all that well.

Clearly there is something wrong with the recent installation or components. I don't have much to offer, but I would be contacting the sellers of the equipment for their troubleshooting steps.

The stock BMW voltmeter is an indicator, not a reliable diagnostic tool.

use a high quality DVM (Fluke, etc.) and check your voltage at the battery with the bike running. Compare that to voltage at the battery with bike not running.

Not running expect to see about 12.7vdc with a healthy battery. Running, expect about 13.8 - 14.4vdc, depending on your voltage regulator.

You're over-thinking it as it sounds like you don't have any issues. IMHO of course.

R100RT ripple

Totally agree that the VM on the dash is just there to 'give an idea' of what's going on. But yes, I did check the system with a high quality DVM (Fluke 87) and the voltages I reported were the ones recorded by the DVM.

I also agree that the system MAY be working properly, but the issue with the ripple and with the inconsistent response of the battery testers still concern me.

Marc

Back