• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'17 F700GS - spacers front axle

guenner

I had just finished installing the front wheel when I saw in the '2016 Haynes Repair Manual' page 6-23 this picture:

View attachment Front axle spacer.bmp

The text underneath the picture said:

'15.7c Note the direction of fitting of the axle spacer in the hub left side'

According to the BMW parts fiche, the 16mm spacer with a lip is for the right side.

I had this spacer always installed on the right side with the lip pointing to the wheel with the lip under the dust seal.

I tried to put the spacer in, like in the picture, and it didn't look right to me.

Q: Which is the correct way to put the spacers in?

Thanks!

Mine is on the left (clutch) side.

On the F700GS the spacer with a lip is 16mm long, while the lip on the other side is 11mm long.

I measured the distance between the inside of the rotors and the outside of the fork legs and the way I have it it shows the same number for either side (+/- 0.2mm).

The parts fiche for the F800GS shows a spacer with a lip on the left side.

Confused!

Last edited:
On the F700GS the spacer with a lip is 16mm long, while the lip on the other side is 11mm long.

I measured the distance between the inside of the rotators and the outside of the fork legs and the way I have it it shows the same number for either side (+/- 0.2mm).

The parts fiche for the F800GS shows a spacer with a lip on the left side.

Confused!

Whose left/right? I think that causes confusion for a lot of people.

F800GS specific - Throttle fork leg uses the axel to cover the bearing seal. Clutch fork leg uses the smaller diameter of the spacer to cover that bearing seal. The larger diameter of the axel spacer should be against the fork leg.

Here are pictures specific to the F800: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?99246-F-Twins-Tech-F800GS-Front-Wheel-Removal

The cast front wheels are very different on the F650/700 as it does appear that the larger diameter part of the throttle-side spacer goes closest to the wheel (from what I am noticing in the Max parts fiche). I'll update with the REPRom when I'm home.

Last edited:
Back