• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

75/5 front axle spacer identification

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Still moving, another long story, putting Smurfette,the 75/5, together enough to roll into trailer. Had front wheel axle in forks and nut/washer. Guess I set spacer elsewhere and found this in general area.
Haven’t tried to wiggle in place as I am limited left hand use, part of moving story, so a challenge this morning
IMG_0274.jpg

Last edited:
Another approach

Can somebody show me a picture of the front axle spacer on a /5?
NLA and fiche drawing little help.

I found one on table in first post ( it looks way newer than what I expected on this model), the threads go thru but shaft not to install washer and nut. It does seem to be correct width

I am trying with one good hand and wiggling spacer trying to tap axle in place is maddening. Needing to get off lift and in trailer.

If I had the other bikes here, I could look at them :banghead

Couldn’t see enough detail in either links. If nothing else, tighten pinch bolt, flag tape on fork and axle and deal with it at new place.
I checked around table again but three Tupperware containers with rest of bike bits already loaded and I’m not feeling like searching before I leave.
Thanks guys :thumb

What material is it?

It looks like aluminum, if it is it may be a fork spring spacer. I will look at both my /5's tomorrow and get an idea of what it looks like and see if I can dig one up from my mountain of spares for a comparison.

Thanks, def aluminum and only one. I would expect same era patina as axle,nut, and washer :dunno

Steve -

Not sure what you mean by patina. I doubt there are any witness marks on the spacer. It should just sit between the top hat on the bearing and the inside of the fork leg. Here's what the spacer looks like on the disk (left) side of my /7.
AxleSpacer.jpg

Saying same look overall, old weathered in road use!

That’s the spacer, the aluminum one I found on table is 15mm and I think gap is 13.
The one I have looks like a Hexhead era part

IMG_0382.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

Back