• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'15 R1200RT after-action comments

Interesting perspective. I can't say that you're wrong about any of it, but it probably depends on your past experiences, your expectations, and the particular example you're riding. I bought a 2014 RTW earlier this year and I've been in love since then.

A couple of general notes of agreement: the side stand can be hard to locate. I always buy a pad extender for my bikes, having had a Honda CX500 Turbo sink into some blacktop a long time ago. I opted for the Ilium works side stand "foot enlarger," which also ads a tang that makes locating and deploying the sidestand easier:

47537500030-100.jpg

I don't have a lot of trouble getting my RT onto the center stand, but it would be nice to have a handle to grab on to. Wunderlich makes one, but the cost is pushing $200, so it's somewhat far down on my list of gotta have items. I'm a reasonably large guy--about 6'1" and 15.7 stones (figure it out), so that probably helps with wrestling the beast onto the center stand.

The computer? No complaints, only the observation that it's easy to spend too much time with your nose in the cockpit. I'm trying to be more conscientious about making adjustments only when at a standstill, unless I'm on a clear, straight section of road.

However, the area where I have a much different impression is in the engine and overall drivetrain. I suppose that there is some vibration is you're lugging it under 3,000 rpm, but when I've felt that, I've just taken it as a sign that I should be downshifting. The engine is much more lively above 3,000 rpm anyway, so the only time I run it below that engine speed is if I'm just lollygagging along, without any sense of urgency. However, even at lower rpms, I find the engine very tractable. I'd note, though, that my last three motorcycles have been BMW boxers, so maybe I've just adapted to engine characteristics that someone coming from a multi might find objectionable.

Generally, I ride with the throttle in Dynamic mode. As the OP noted, I initially found it pretty twitchy. In fact, the first time I rode in Dynamic mode, I did a pretty good--albeit inadvertant--wheelie. It didn't take too many miles until I found I had fully adapted to it.

Ultimately, I can't disagree with your impressions. They are, after all, your impressions. But, I find the RT to be a stellar motorcycle.

I don't have any issue getting the bike on the center stand either.
I'm 5,9 and 180#.
I just grab the handlebar and the passenger grab bar, then step on the center stand.
If you ever owned a Kawi Concours 1000, you know that was a hard bike to get on a center stand.
The RT is easy when you compare.

I too believe that the OP had issues with that particular bike. That is unfortunate.
I find that too often rentals, mostly tours rentals, aren't kept in the best of shape.

I don't have any issue getting the bike on the center stand either.

What about getting it off the center stand? Some days, the center stand on my RS seems to be locked in to position. As an example, after fitting some bags, the Wolfman folks at the MOA Rally had to help me get my bike off the center stand. By myself, I could only manage the skid the bike across the floor.

I agree with those that point out one is either a boxer person or not. If you are not, that vibration might drive you crazy. If you are (I am) it's a pleasant sort of connection to the machine. I rode a k1600 and although impressed did not feel a connection to it.

Having said that, a week of tight switchbacks and I'd wish I was on my fj-09. That's the motor and weight I'd want for stuff that tight. But for longer and more open stuff I find the FJ-09 less enjoyable than even my old r11rt. Even in normal sort of twisties my r11rt is pretty capable (although more work) and my understanding is the new rt is much better yet.

That's the joy of multiple bikes, I guess.

After all the comentaries I had to go back and re-read the OP.

I am gonna now guess, the OP is a very experienced riders and the kind of bike that would serve that type of skillful twistie riding would be crotch-rocket.

I never understood why people want to race around public roads on sports-touring bikes. I suppose it's some kind of compromise I don't really see.

I have heard of very good riders hauling arses through Deals Gap even on Goldwings, certainly on K16, etc.

If I got off on hot-rodding through twisted, I would opt for a crotchrocket ON a track; where the surface is more consistent and the machine is made for the purpose at hand...and one can develop/enhance such skills.

Aggressive twisties riding on public roads with touring bikes puts the citizenry and rider at risk and compromise performance due to the bikes limitations in this arena.

You can run into unexpected myriad of catastrophic factors: an oil spot, moss, a pedestrian, an animal, a rock, an object, a hicker, a change of grip on road...I have known folks that have crashed due to one of these circumstances doing just that.

I am not sure that putting down an RT throttle performance makes any sense if you are using this bike to race.

It's just my thoughts, I ain't telling anyone what to do.

The only time I wish I was sitting on a different bike is when I am on a long Interstate haul, then I wish I had a Goldwing.

What about getting it off the center stand? Some days, the center stand on my RS seems to be locked in to position. As an example, after fitting some bags, the Wolfman folks at the MOA Rally had to help me get my bike off the center stand. By myself, I could only manage the skid the bike across the floor.
I've seen others just sit on the bike and rock it forward. Me, I rock the bike backwards and then pull it. Just to give it a swing and go.

I've seen others just sit on the bike and rock it forward. Me, I rock the bike backwards and then pull it. Just to give it a swing and go.

Mine rocks up on the stand fairly easily. Typically, I provide a bit of a lift by grabbing the passenger foot peg bracket. Getting it off the stand is where the challenge occurs, at times.

Considering that my DESA seems to be one of the lesser performers, I assume the suspension is packing down when I maneuver the bike (un-powered) into it's parking spot between the nose of the car, the back wall of the garage and the 15" thickness planer......

Rode an R100RS for 25 years ... yes, the Hexhead, Camhead, and now maybe the Wethead motors are NOT low speed torque monsters and basically have nothing below 4K rpm. My 1100S is and does, but is rough as a cob in comparison. Really need a balance shaft in a boxer twin larger than maybe 800cc.

Current issue of MCN has an HD test where they can't believe and complain profusely that the motor won't get to 6K rpm. BMWs are NOT HDs, and the world is a better place for that. Funny thing is that you can go to the HD website and not find a horsepower figure. MCN has tested the 1700cc HD motor and found it to make 75 HP. If you compare that to the 1200cc Wethead at 125hp, you can easily expect the latter to not be a torque monster. It's simply apples/oranges, and if you want to put-put, the BMW isn't for you.

Rode an R100RS for 25 years ... yes, the Hexhead, Camhead, and now maybe the Wethead motors are NOT low speed torque monsters and basically have nothing below 4K rpm.

But, if you ride them below 4K, the DESA (road mode) is reasonably compliant, in my experience on my RS.........but ramps up to "hard as a rock" status at higher RPM's.

Basically..........BMW screwed a decent engine and chassis design with a techno-gee whiz shock that's a very inconsistent performer and limited options for replacement.

What about getting it off the center stand?
By myself, I could only manage the skid the bike across the floor.

When our R1200RSs were new they would slide on the garage floor when trying to get them off the centerstand.
It was not a problem on the rougher driveway concrete.
For awhile when I parked on the garage floor concrete, I would place a scrap of vinyl flooring under the centerstand.
After a couple trips I forgot to place the vinyl under the centerstand and was surprised the bike came off the centerstand without sliding.
Now that the centerstand feet are roughed up from parking on rough concrete I not longer have a problem with either bike.

When our R1200RSs were new they would slide on the garage floor when trying to get them off the centerstand.
It was not a problem on the rougher driveway concrete.
For awhile when I parked on the garage floor concrete, I would place a scrap of vinyl flooring under the centerstand.
After a couple trips I forgot to place the vinyl under the centerstand and was surprised the bike came off the centerstand without sliding.
Now that the centerstand feet are roughed up from parking on rough concrete I not longer have a problem with either bike.

I'm hoping that will be the cure.

Much like time and wear has honed me to the precision beast that I am..............

The side stand is a disaster looking to happen. Trying to get it down, I popped into 1st a couple of times. Anticipating this, I had the clutch in and the front brake set. But imagine doing this with neither set. Ugly, ugly, ugly....

I leave the bike in gear and use my heel to hook the button on the sidestand (between shifter and footpeg) to flip it down and kill the engine - easy peasy. So I always have the clutch pulled in and the front brake on. I always try to park on level ground or with the front wheel pointing uphill. Essentially use first gear and gravity to supplement the sidestand to keep it from moving in either direction. I know others including the OP park their bikes in neutral trusting the sidestand alone to keep it stationary but cannot for the life of me understand why.

At 5'8" and 160 lbs, I also have no trouble getting my 2015 R1200RT on the center stand. I will typically use my weight to help, rather than trying to actually lift the bike. As I push the center stand down, I'll use the passenger grab bar and shift my weight towards the rear tire...the bike easily rises up on the stand.

As mentioned earlier, I also keep the bike in gear and deploy the side stand, effectively killing the engine and confirming the stand is down (I also visually check it just out of habit). If I'm going to put the bike on the center stand (i.e. in my garage), I'll put it back in neutral to make the process of rocking it back on the center stand easier.

At 5'8" and 160 lbs, I also have no trouble getting my 2015 R1200RT on the center stand. I will typically use my weight to help, rather than trying to actually lift the bike. As I push the center stand down, I'll use the passenger grab bar and shift my weight towards the rear tire...the bike easily rises up on the stand.

As mentioned earlier, I also keep the bike in gear and deploy the side stand, effectively killing the engine and confirming the stand is down (I also visually check it just out of habit). If I'm going to put the bike on the center stand (i.e. in my garage), I'll put it back in neutral to make the process of rocking it back on the center stand easier.
Yep. Getting a bike on the center stand is all technique. Has nothing to do with your or the bikes weight. I'm 5 foot 9 and weigh 140 and I got my 2007 and 2014 RT on the center stand no issue. Now I put my 750 pound K16GT on its center stand same thing no issue....I don't even need to pull up on the passenger handle, I just use it for stability.

Everyone's entitled

Read through this thread and, like many others, feel the OP was expressing his honest riding opinions. to each his own. I have two RT's - a 14 Wetted and an 01 Oilhead. Neither bike loves RPM's below 3k but really respond in the middle of the range 3.5 and up. They 'luff' at low RPM's.

I just rode 2600 miles back and forth to Colorado and throughout the state on the 14. Many many passes and twisties. Lots of interstate both ways. Love the '14 RT no matter the situation:). It's a very smooth machine. Haven't owned a K bike but may look one day.

As for the R1200RT Centerstand, not a problem (6'2" 210#), but damn, try my Dakar F650. It is a beast. I believe I have only once been able to get it there without help. She's very tall.

good post and good discussion.

Back