• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

04 R1150 RT highway peg recomendation?

sawman91

Hi,
New to the MOA, looking for some advice to add highway pegs to my 04 R1150RT (twin spark). I see that Wunderlich has a crash bar that would make a suitable place to mount pegs, but it does require some cutting of plastics. Apparently other crash bars will not fit due to dual spark? Any experience with the Hawk brackets, or the "Elf" pegs? Is mounting to the cylinder head area sturdy?
thoughts & suggestions appreciated.
Bill

elf pegs work for me

I have elf pegs on my 1100RT and have no complaints. I had to replace one peg after the bike fell onto an extended peg; that was done very quickly by the firm, with my easy installation. They are also easy to extend while seated, and collapse toward the head when not used.

You guys aren't worried that the Elf or Sparky pegs could cause damage if the bike went down ? Bogdan - concerned in Colorado

You guys aren't worried that the Elf or Sparky pegs could cause damage if the bike went down ? Bogdan - concerned in Colorado

H has had them on her 1100 and now her 1150 and 12R. If the bike ever goes horizontal at speed other things will be destroyed so never a big concern.

A parking lot sidestand fail rarely gets that far over...hasn't the rare times it has anyways:whistle

We don't dwell on stuff we don't want happening...been working for us for years:thumb

removing connector to install pegs

OK, I have a set of Sparky pegs, they seem to be very sturdy and look nice. The instructions did say to remove the connector between lead wire and plug that attaches to coil/plug. Maybe I am too worried over nothing, but won't this affect the durability of the connection long term? Obviously you need to be careful removing the plug in the future because the wires would pull out easier. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks,

Elf pegs

I have the Elf pegs on my 2002 R1150RT-P. I recommend them to others. Their positioning is, at least for me, perfect in terms of how I fit on the bike with my feet on the Elf pegs.

Yes, I did drop the bike once, and broke off the right peg. The manufacturer was willing to sell me just one peg, so I didn't have to replace both when I only broke one. Still, I believe the Elf peg to be the most elegant and ergonomically correct option.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1535

Sawman - Yes that connector is pretty fragile. Be gentle when releasing the little plastic locking tab, and don't spread it more than absolutely necessary. Repeated demating/matings may also cause the female side of the pins to spread open, causing intermittent (and irritating) ignition problems. The factory realizes this, so harness repair kits are available at the dealer.

Back