• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Highway pegs without crash bars (R1250 RS, but probably other bikes too)

Kindjal

Kindjal
I'm riding a 2020 R1250 RS but I'm guessing this question might be apropos of any of our R bikes. Has anyone found a way to mount highway foot pegs without crash bars? I am imagining there must be some way to make use of the same bolt that one would use to attach the crash bars, but use it to attach foot rests, under the cylinder heads. Has anyone seen this done, or any other way to mount highway pegs without crash bars?

Have not seen any highway pegs on the Wetheads but there are foot pegs that I have seen for Oil heads ... pre-2014.

There are Burton Biggs Pegs and a very similar Hawks Talon Pegs for the R1100 and R1150's and these for the pre-water cooled 1200's https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/ilium-works-highway-pegs-r1200rt---2010-2013

and the closed thing I know of are the Illium Works products
https://www.iliumworks.com/HIGHWAY_...,35,88,84,59,100,17,7,97,66,28,108,109,26,112

I could not find Burton Biggs pegs or Hawks Talon pegs anywhere. Maybe on eBay. But pretty much without some form of crash bars you may be out of luck.

Thanks for the response and the links. Sort of disappointing. Seems unlikely I’m the only one who’d want such a product.

Over the years I have seen guys ask for highway pegs and like I know a few small guys producing them but 1) a lot of BMW guys are not "highway peg" users 2) the boxer motor does not lend itself to easy mounting of highway pegs and 3) especially on the RS that is a somewhat sporty model not a lot of requests. BUT ... I suspect if you can find something that fits ANY R1250 it would work on the RS. Good luck.

For a number of years different folks were selling "highway pegs" that mounted on/with valve cover bolts. These mountings were fragile and sometimes failed. I have not seen any lately.

For a number of years different folks were selling "highway pegs" that mounted on/with valve cover bolts. These mountings were fragile and sometimes failed. I have not seen any lately.

Yep ... those were the Burton Biggs or Hawks Talon mounts. Have not seen any lately. Sierra BMW used to sell them but no longer.

I had been thinking of adding highway pegs (no crash bars) to my R1100RT, not for my feet, but to add an additional set of lights. However after reading Paul’s post above, it would seem that even a parking lot tip over would damage the valve cover bolts.

Guess I’ll abandon that idea.

With the upper body leaning forward I would think it uncomfortable to have your legs in a forward position on a RS.
If you think that position will work for you, highway pegs mounted to crash bars would be the only option.

I’m 6’3” and the RS is moderately cramped for me after a couple hours. I’ll be experimenting with a seat and lower pegs and was just trying to imagine other ways of moving my feet around and changing leg positions for longer rides. I don’t know if it would work or not but I don’t really want crash bars. I’ll likely add the MachineArt Moto guards instead.

I’m 6’3” and the RS is moderately cramped for me after a couple hours. I’ll be experimenting with a seat and lower pegs and was just trying to imagine other ways of moving my feet around and changing leg positions for longer rides. I don’t know if it would work or not but I don’t really want crash bars. I’ll likely add the MachineArt Moto guards instead.

We ordered our new bikes with the Sport seat. It's the tallest stock seat and it gives us a little more leg room. Both of us have 34" inseam.
Another seat that's taller than the standard RS seat is a Wunderlich in the Tall option.
https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_R1200_R1250_R_RS_AKTIVKOMFORT_Seats

MachineArtMoto is a good choice for head protectors. We have those on both bikes.

Back