• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

adaptiv headlight

bandman

Has anyone heard anything about the 2017 R1200RT coming with the adaptive headlight that the K1600 comes with? I thought that I heard the new light will either come on the new RT or maybe even as an option. Anyone hear anything?

Adding the adaptive headlight would require a change in the bodywork and there has been no mention of that for 2017, or even beyond that date. I think it would have been on the RT in 2014 if BMW ever intended to put it on a boxer. Now, something like the lean angle activated lights on the Multistrada would be simpler (and cheaper) to add. I'd be happy if BMW would just replace the halogen bulbs with decent LEDs.

lights

Thanks everyone. Now I can go back and tell the Guy who told me this to go by a Ducati or better still, a Slingshot.LOL

adding the adaptive headlight would require a change in the bodywork and there has been no mention of that for 2017, or even beyond that date. I think it would have been on the rt in 2014 if bmw ever intended to put it on a boxer. Now, something like the lean angle activated lights on the multistrada would be simpler (and cheaper) to add. I'd be happy if bmw would just replace the halogen bulbs with decent leds.

amen!

Adding the adaptive headlight would require a change in the bodywork and there has been no mention of that for 2017, or even beyond that date. I think it would have been on the RT in 2014 if BMW ever intended to put it on a boxer. Now, something like the lean angle activated lights on the Multistrada would be simpler (and cheaper) to add. I'd be happy if BMW would just replace the halogen bulbs with decent LEDs.

Someone from BMW told me that the adaptive headlight simply would not fit into the RT's headlamp nacelle. I call B.S. on that as, it seems to me, that if BMW wanted to make it fit they most certainly could. The RT's nacelle appears to be as large, if not larger, than that of the GT.
I had the opportunity to ride the GT for a couple of days - it was a loaner while my RT was in for service - and the adaptive headlight was fantastic, worked like a charm. BMW is always going on about safety and I really don't see why the adaptive headlight is not offered on the RT as an option at the very least. I'm pretty sure that BMW sells more RT's than GT's so it makes sense for them if they truly care about rider safety. Offer it on all models I say. If they gave me that option I'd put my order in tomorrow. As it is I am just waiting to see what happens and hoping that my 2010 RT continues to run as it always has: like a finely tuned German machine.

So the middle model in the range should have all the features and options as the top model?

Not normal in the automotive business.

lights

After having this great light on my GTL, a friend was asking about maybe the new light could be offered on the RT. I thought I read that it was going to be offered. I was wrong but a great company like BMW should offer this JUST FOR RIDER SAFETY. I feel like the ADAPTIv light is just that good. Come on BMW, get with it. Why not take a truly fantastic bike like the new R1200RT and make it even better and safer.

So the middle model in the range should have all the features and options as the top model?

Not normal in the automotive business.

Yes. The headlight works and is an excellent safety feature. Only the top model should have the best safety options?

ISTR that BMW said they didn't want to do the adaptive headlight on the RT because (1) it would diminish the K16's exclusivity and (2) it would raise the RT price point to nearly that of the K16, so would kill RT sales. I had a K16 and frankly wasn't that impressed with the adaptive headlight. Yes it was cool to see it work when leaning but overall brightness didn't compare to my 2012 RT (RIP). The LED headlights on my '16 GSA give far better illumination and I think it would make sense for BMW to put them on the RT as well. Doing the supplemental LEDs like the Multistrada would be a big, worthwhile improvement too IMO.

Back