• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headlight Visibility 2023 RT

Motor32

Motor32
Hey Guys,

I wanted to add some visibility to the front of my RT (I don't ride at night). I bought from Lamin-X a headlight film for the RT in green (other colors available) for around $30.00, and customized the film for only the center part of the headlight (it comes as one piece for the entire headlight and two more pieces for the turn signals). It also may stop some small rocks from taking out the plastic headlight, maybe.

Steve

https://lamin-x.com/bmw-r1250rt-2021-headlight-covers.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CZRMV5?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

IMG_4680 (1).jpg

IMG_4682 (1).jpg

70234258514__6FDA62CF-1D70-45F6-A33A-70348E104323 (1).jpg

IMG_4685 (1).jpg

Be aware you may get pulled over because of it. What does your country say about lighting colors on vehicles?

Most states have only two restrictions on lighting. No red or blue lights [ or covers making them that color ] on low/high beam or aux lighting.

When I bought the GS, the rigid aux lights had green covers from the previous owner. Rode with them for a few months, but preferred the amber covers and swapped them out feeling the green wasn't enough contrast for visibility. Never got stopped for the green aux light covers.

In Arizona it’s next to impossible to get pulled over for just about anything. I’ll roll the dice on these yellowish lights.

Steve

I have a friend that put green lights in the grill of his car. The lights themselves are not visible, but the green reflection shows up well. He gets pulled over frequently because of them, gets hassled and a fix it warning ticket.

I forgot to mention, on my RT I have fog lights on the engine guard with amber lenses. They are bright as hell. Bright enough to wash out the headlights at night. People still pull out in front of me.

California doesn't permit changes to the headlight color: from the Vehicle Code, Division 12 (Equipment of Vehicles), Chapter 2 (Lighting Equipment), Article 15 (Light Restrictions and Mounting), Section 25950:

This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:
(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:
(irrelevant blah blah snipped)

I found Nothing excluding civilian motorcycles from this.

California doesn't permit changes to the headlight color: from the Vehicle Code, Division 12 (Equipment of Vehicles), Chapter 2 (Lighting Equipment), Article 15 (Light Restrictions and Mounting), Section 25950:

This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:
(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:
(irrelevant blah blah snipped)

I found Nothing excluding civilian motorcycles from this.

That is correct.

Saw a GS up in the canyons this afternoon with Rigid lights using green lens covers. From behind coming up on us, they didn't look green until he was nearly on us. Really bright even with the lens on. I know what he had, I had the same makers lights with green covers on my GS. The green covers were on it when I bought it, I swapped those lens' out for amber, the green didn't throw light as far as amber/yellows at night.

I've not seen anyone on the road with different colored low/high beams with the exception of some of those sport bikes that like to do 100 in a 45.

Back