• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Air intake tube 78 r100/7

79woodsie

The hard plastic tube that goes from the air filter housing to the carb. Which end does the rubber adapter with two hose clamps go to, at the carb or or the filter housing. I have seen images with it both ways. Mine is at the carb. At the housing where the o-ring is, does the plastic tube fit over the o-ring and the single hose clamp directly on the tube or should there be a rubber fitting there as well. My plastic tube does not appear to be fully square at the air filter housing. It is not off much, but it is off. I know I have the left one on the left and the right on the right. It is not possible to have the tube round the wrong way is it?

Here's a picture of the right intake tube on my /7. As you seem to realize, there is a left and right and that's because the carbs are different distances from the clam shell housing because of the offset in the crankshaft. Yes, the tubes can be flipped around on each given side. I didn't realize that until one time many years ago, I was in St. Louis and happened to stop by the dealer. The service manager saw right away that I had them upside down. It's noticeable in that the intake tube wasn't turning straight into the carb inlet as it should be. If you're wondering if you have it right, try it both ways...only one way will look right.

At the housing the big rubber grommet fits over the housing...of course the housing will have a small o-ring which you should put some silicon grease on. Then the air intake tube fits into the opening of the rubber grommet.

Attachments

• IntakeTubeRight.jpg
    IntakeTubeRight.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 154
Here's a picture of the right intake tube on my /7. As you seem to realize, there is a left and right and that's because the carbs are different distances from the clam shell housing because of the offset in the crankshaft. Yes, the tubes can be flipped around on each given side. I didn't realize that until one time many years ago, I was in St. Louis and happened to stop by the dealer. The service manager saw right away that I had them upside down. It's noticeable in that the intake tube wasn't turning straight into the carb inlet as it should be. If you're wondering if you have it right, try it both ways...only one way will look right.

At the housing the big rubber grommet fits over the housing...of course the housing will have a small o-ring which you should put some silicon grease on. Then the air intake tube fits into the opening of the rubber grommet.

If your pic is correct, then mine are on wrong too!

I'm pretty confident mine are right. Basically the tube should exit the air filter housing in a direct line and the same for how it enters into the inlet of the carb. I've tried to illustrate that with this picture. When they're on wrong, it's quite evident that these alignments are not followed.

Attachments

• IntakeTubeRightAlign.jpg
    IntakeTubeRightAlign.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 130
Hey Kurt, my air tubes on my / 5 are the opposite, with the rubber sleeve at the carbs. I will try to post a pic tomorrow. My take is that the O-ring on the air box is there to seal up the intake tube on the air box flange, and the rubber sleeve belongs between the carb and the tube. I am confident that the intakes can be assembled either way. More to follow.

Last edited:
James -

If you trust RealOEM (or the other online stuff), then I'm doing it right...this is for my specific VIN...2 clamps at the airbox with the big rubber bushing, 1 clamp at the carb inlet.

Attachments

• CarbTubesR100_7.jpg
    CarbTubesR100_7.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 129
And here is the BMW parts fiche from BMW for my R90/6. At least in the case of the R90/6 it appears the rubber connector along with the two clamps attached to the carburetor. I consider this credible evidence in the case of my bike. Like said before, this also justifys the use of an O ring on the air cleaner housing.

Best to check the parts diagram for your specific model.

The key detail is to ensure the alignment of the tube with the air cleaner and carburetor is true to the alignment of both items as Kurt shows in his photo.

B0000360.png

I istalled them with the two hose clamps at the top. The only thing that that seems off to me is that the part number on the right side tube is to the outside whereas the left part number is to the inside which I would assume is correct.

g48ridn2 -

Interesting! Good point, too...I wonder what the reason for the change is for an R90/6 and the R100/7. They both have the same clam shell housing and both have CV carbs. I could see the difference if it was the slide carbs or Dell Ortos or something. Hmmm... :scratch

Only thing I can think of that is different is the crank case vent tubing is changed from /6 to /7, with the /6 and earlier motors venting into the right side carb tube only and the later having the longer hose system and dropping into both carbs. In these pictures we can see the placement on my /5 and my mono-shock RS.

105_3394.jpg105_3395.jpg

Note that the rubber sleeve must be installed at the top of the air tube on the late style, flat, air filter assembly. I think 79woodsie should go with the assembly order Kurt has described since it seems to work on Kurt's bike which is the same model and year. We want these things to be as correct as possible, y'know.

My '78 /7 only has the one drain into the right carb. So, that can't be the difference between the /6 and /7. I would agree that the flat filter arrangement changed things, though.

In your picture of the /5 arrangement, the 2 clamps at the bottom really look crammed in there with more than enough room for an additional clamp by the air filter. I wonder if someone had a "D'oh" moment at some point and moved things around. :dunno

Yeah, it's a pretty tight fit in there, and not the best picture by a long shot. Maybe the rubber sleeves are narrower on /5's. Hmmm....

I remember picking up a '78 R80/7 parts bike several years ago that had the long "y" hose routed for the crank case ventilation. Maybe the "78" model run was when the change-over occurred.

My '78 is a September 1977 build and I understand the major changes to meet EPA standards, etc., happened January 1978. So, I could possibly have a configuration that is more in line with the /6 bike in some ways.

I looked back to find a photo of my 78 Motorsport. This is what I found. It matches Kurt's photo.

Attachments

• Carb tube.jpg
    Carb tube.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 102
To be honest, I have always thought that Kurt's arrangement was wrong, however I could be wrong as well.

It does, however, seem to me that the two clamps and the rubber tubes should be at the carb end and the plastic end should go up and seal by the o-ring.

Anyway, that is how both of my airheads have been when I purchased them. A '74 R90/6 and my '78 R100/7.

Also, I had mine to a old bike repair shop a few months ago, and the two mechs have been working on airheads for years. Rubber tubes were installed to the carb end.

Hmmm.

Usually I really trust Kurt as he is very well studied and knowledgeable.

But...I am keeping mine the way I have had it!! Too bad Kurt, you lose this one!!! :dance

I had to look twice to confirm it - my 1974 R60/6 has the sleeve and two clamps at the carbs, my 1984 R100 has it the other way with two clamps and sleeve at the air box connection.

From BMW's factory shop manual printed in December 1977. Shows the clamps like in Kurt's photo, and mine.

Attachments

• page 13-72-1.jpg
    page 13-72-1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 77
Not sure we'll ever really know what's correct. This is from the link to the '78 brochures. It shows an R100S in the foreground with two clamps up by the air box while the R80/7 appears to have two clamps down by the carb.

78d.jpg

The R100RS has two clamps by the air box...can't see the R100/7. But one rule of thumb is to not trust what BMW shows in their photos...sometimes things are done cosmetically and only for the shoot.

We know that what works for you, you should keep doing! :thumb

Back