• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ear Plugs

You might want to look into "S-Plug" earphones. I use them just to listen to music on the road and they do a good job. If your com unit can accept a standard 1/8 inch plug then you are set.

I don't have any experience trying to use any communication device on the bike. I suspect the advice of using good ear plugs and then turning up the volume for helmet speakers is sound.

This tactic successfully has blown my speakers out twice - I still haven't found a solution that both works for my ear canals, square head etc AND allows me to hear my communication device. As others have said here, experimentation is expensive!

This tactic successfully has blown my speakers out twice - I still haven't found a solution that both works for my ear canals, square head etc AND allows me to hear my communication device. As others have said here, experimentation is expensive!

What kind of speakers are you blowing? This has worked great for my Sena SMH10.

Up until now communicators made by Collet Communications (now defunct Canadian brand that served both the motorcycle and snowmobile market). I bought two sets of spare speakers when they were doing their out of business blow out sale. I liked them because they reserved frequencies for different brands of bikes and never found any channel clutter with a 2km range to boot. Looks like I may have to upgrade to something like the Sena however outfitting two bikes/helmets gets pricey.

Up until now communicators made by Collet Communications (now defunct Canadian brand that served both the motorcycle and snowmobile market). I bought two sets of spare speakers when they were doing their out of business blow out sale. I liked them because they reserved frequencies for different brands of bikes and never found any channel clutter with a 2km range to boot. Looks like I may have to upgrade to something like the Sena however outfitting two bikes/helmets gets pricey.

Now that is funny!!

Lee Parks ear plugs are tops in my book

I've used them for years and they filter out the noise, but allow certain frequencies through. He also sells his version of the S Plug headphones. They can't be beat in my book. They block out all the extraneous noise and allow me to hear my I-Phone with only one block/square of volume. That's pretty impressive.

You might want to look into "S-Plug" earphones. I use them just to listen to music on the road and they do a good job. If your com unit can accept a standard 1/8 inch plug then you are set.

These are the best I've used. Short, stout cords, so easy to keep untangled. Very durable, and all day comfortable.

These are the best I've used. Short, stout cords, so easy to keep untangled. Very durable, and all day comfortable.

I believe the 'S' plug is what Lee Parks markets. I agree, best by far. Sometimes I don't even plug them into a music source. Just use them as a plug with the ear cords acting as 'retainers'

I'd agree with the Sena any ear plugs would still allow for clear sound. I personally prefer custom made plugs as they fit perfectly and do not continue to expand and put pressure on my ears which causes pain after long hours on the bike. However the best foam type earplugs in have found are http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/laser-lite

I've heard that after a while (years?), custom made/fit earplugs lose their fit as the ear changes shape slightly or for some other reason. Any feedback from anyone on this from someone who has had them for a long time? Hesitant to spend that much money for something that might not work after 2-5 years. I can buy a lot of disposables or even S Plugs/Lee Parks plugs over that period for that money.

I've heard that after a while (years?), custom made/fit earplugs lose their fit as the ear changes shape slightly or for some other reason. Any feedback from anyone on this from someone who has had them for a long time? Hesitant to spend that much money for something that might not work after 2-5 years. I can buy a lot of disposables or even S Plugs/Lee Parks plugs over that period for that money.
Yes they do. After few years. But really, is $40 to $60 every three to five years really an expense worth being concerned about when considering the comfort and the offsetting expense of disposable earplugs over the same period of time?

Wasn't in my book.

If you just want to protect your hearing, as opposed to listening to music, etc. I believe custom plugs are definitely worth a try. I have two pairs - the most recent about five years old, the other pair over 10 years old. Both pair are still excellent for chain sawing, shotgun shooting, and other noisy stuff. The left earplug of each pair works perfectly on the bike. The right earplug of each pair tends to dislodge, either when I don the helmet or a bit later, despite great care in how I put on the helmet. They have done this since they were new. Just the shape of my right ear canal. Have gone back to a disposable plug for my right ear when riding.

The advantage of custom over disposable ear plugs (when you find ones that fit your ear) is that they are quick and simple to insert once you get the technic down. The disposables can expand too fast in hot weather and never really seat. In cold weather, it can take a half minute for the plug to expand as you hold it in place. I've seen several experienced riders who just do a one-handed poke in of the disposables and my bet is that they are getting very little hearing protection.

I've read several threads on this topic and what is Crystal Clear is that our ears differ (in my case, my left from my right) and you will have to experiment to find the best solution for YOU. For the convenience and time saving versus money saving, I believe custom earplugs are worth a try. If they work in both of your ears, you will never look back - if like me, you can somehow avoid losing them. (Get them in white or a bright color, as sometime you will surely drop one.)

... I have two pairs - the most recent about five years old, the other pair over 10 years old. ...

Probably still don't work as good as you think. Your ears and nose continue to grow throughout your lifetime (ever notice all old men have big noses and big ears?) and any custom earplugs you have had for 10 years do not fit as well as they did when new. You've likely just gotten used to them.

That said, however, I also believe custom plugs are worth the extra cost. I just replace them more often than you do.

No one on this thread has mentioned the right way to insert foam earplugs - and this info is important; NO foam earplug is going to do its job if you just shove it in, as I've seen many riders do. Here is the drill: 1. moisten the earplug with your mouth to help it slide in, 2. roll up the earplug to make it as narrow as possible, 3. reach over the top of your head with your right hand (for the left earplug, vice versa for the right earplug) and pull up on the top of your ear. This opens up the ear canal. 4. slide the earplug deeply into you ear and hold it in place with your index finger until it has fully expanded and NOT pushed itself partly out. 5. Very carefully put on your helmet so you don't dislodge either ear plug. 6. Perform the "stomp test." If heavy steps sound a lot like a bass drum in your head, the earplugs are doing their job and you are good to go. If not, remove the helmet and start over.

I would recommend reversing number 1 and 2 above. I completely "roll" the ear plug first, then lightly moisten it to aid in insertion.

I've had 3 or 4 custom plugs made. Two of them were done at M/C shows, each by different company, but both using the foam in the ear injection molded stuff. Both of these styles were quite large, and fit flush with the outside of the ear canal. Both pair were easily dislodged, and both transmitted noise from the helmet into the ear. Absolutely worthless. I also had 2 pair made by an Audiologist's office. These fit deep inside the ear canal, much like ear buds and worked quite well. I could wear them all day long without discomfort, and when you put them in, you got "the world disappears" sound. Could still hear the stuff you needed to hear, but made wind noise vanish. Still like the S Plugs for an off the shelf solution.

Off the shelf

No noise Ear plugs. Fabulous.
No noise-earplugs.com

Interesting concept that really works and is very comfortable.
Best regards

Royce (#33) it may be true that my ears have grown over the years. Never thought to measure them. But the ear canals seem to have stayed the same. (Not saying they don't change for some people.)

rdalland (#34) I believe moistening disposable plugs is important. Not sure it matters whether you do it before or after rolling them. Forgot I had posted that epistle on how to insert disposable plugs. BTW, I believe the "stomp test" is important, no matter what type of ear plugs you use. Here it is again: insert your ear plugs, CAREFULLY pull on your helmet - pulling out hard on the chin straps to slide the helmet past your ears - then take a few marching steps. The sound in your head should resemble a bass drum, way different than slightly muffled foot falls. Few things more annoying than to pull out on the highway and realize one or both of your ear plugs are not doing their job.

whiteligtning (#35) You are yet another example of how no one ear plug solution works for everyone, and glad the ones the audiologist made for you do the trick. Maybe I will go that route myself. Was inspired to insert my newer right custom earplug and check in the bathroom mirror. Marked the exterior part which stood out a fraction with a Sharpie then cut off a fraction of an inch with a razor blade knife. Then pulled on my helmet and performed the "stomp test." All was well - but the real test waits on riding weather, probably another two months.

rdalland (#34) I believe moistening disposable plugs is important. Not sure it matters whether you do it before or after rolling them.

I have never moistened them beforehand, it just seems to me that messaging saliva into the foam earplug is not something I want to do. It is a sponge after all. Also, moisture shortens the life of the disposable ear plugs that I use. I try to get as many uses as I can from a set of earplugs. I buy them by the box so I always have plenty of fresh ear plugs with me when needed.

I opt for "the world disappears" confirmation of the proper insertion of the ear plug. I look goofy enough reaching over my head to insert the ear plugs, stomping around afterward - not gonna happen. :)

YMMV

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5nGO0qNTCd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I've had 3 or 4 custom plugs made. Two of them were done at M/C shows, each by different company, but both using the foam in the ear injection molded stuff. Both of these styles were quite large, and fit flush with the outside of the ear canal. Both pair were easily dislodged, and both transmitted noise from the helmet into the ear. Absolutely worthless.

Unfortunately, the same pricey results for me. :banghead

'train like you fight'

Marked the exterior part which stood out a fraction with a Sharpie then cut off a fraction of an inch with a razor blade knife.

We were always told to 'train like you fight', so first you should have had a couple-o-beers', then marked it and cut it off. Of course the alternative would be to remove the ear plug first, but that wouldn't meet the standard, nor probably have the same results. :)

Back