• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Zumo 550 /xm antenna location 2009 R1200RT

wppatin

Kajun-Flyer
I searched zumo 550 threads for locating the XM antenna and not found very much info. I would like to keep a clean and uncluttered install ... clean shelf on instrument panel ... as such I will mount the Zumo on a RAM MOUNT 1.5" arm on a handlebar center mount purchase from "JACKFROST" found on another forum, BMW Sport Touring Forum. Will run my iphone thru the Zumo and will more than likely Bluetooth into a Vemar Jiano helmet.

The only other thing I might possibly install is a BMW J&M CB. Is it possible to install the XM within the fairing and get a signal. I guess I'm just looking to see what you guys have done and what has worked and what has not worked.

Thanks ... Wayne :bikes
2009 R1200RT 2003 R1100S
Sargent Seats
Bakup
BarBacks
Ilum Highway Pegs

This is how i set mine up when i had my RT

This is a Gadget guy mount www.gadgetguy.net - not affiliated just like his products

DSC03601.jpg

This is where I put the XM Antenna - no reception issues and I don't clutter the handlebar or front area with a static device

DSC03321.jpg

Different Angle
DSC03322.jpg

Going to move my XM down below today. I really like the gagetguy's mount. I'll add it to the list....:bikes (but I need more money)

I've put the puck a few places on my bikes. Best reception was on top of the top box.

I installed my on a Ram ball mount attached to a stem in the mirror hole:

831029116_vWoFw-M.jpg

831029073_ZrAgK-M.jpg

831028966_qWKA7-M.jpg

831029004_aAi9A-M.jpg

831028921_2Uq2q-M.jpg

This allows me to switch the xm antenna from the RT to the GS.

Last edited:
XM antenna location

I had my XM antenna mounted above my dash and wanted to hide it. I moved it below to the fairing frame below the headlight assembly and my reception really suffered. It was always searching for a signal. I moved it back up top and all is well. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Hmm. I tried a few locations on my RT. Tried with both the Zumo and the GPSMAP 478. Even here in the NM desert, I found the only location that came even close to a decent signal - one the didn't drop and hunt - was on the dash.

xm13.JPG

xm12.JPG

XM Antenna on the left, GPS center, V-1 and SPOT on right. Since there is a mention of the J&M system, the second shot includes it. It's mounted on the clutch reservoir.

Back