• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Your MC Insurance Cost???

kantuckid

I just got my renewal and my bike insurance went up $50 on the year, so I am raising the question as to how much others are paying? I realize that rates vary widely from region to region and state to state, plus other factors such as value of bike and riders demographics. One of my adult sons as an e.g., got his bill the other day for the insurance on his 07 Tacoma and it went from $400+ to $900+ and a call told him it was the one "45 in a 35" ticket he got a few months back!He changed companies this week and more than cut it in half.
I have been with American Modern out of Cinn,OH for several years. They write insurance under other names too. I am 66 and have ridden since 1963. The policy is for my 03 R1150R with no previous claims and 2 speeding tickets in past 2 years(both on books are under 15 MPH over-am I not a good boy!) The levels are set at Coverage A-bodily injury25,000,50k,10k,25k,50k & Coverage B-medical1,000 &Coverage C-Comprehensive Damage & Physical Damage/ collision both @ $500 deductible & endorsements for safety apparel,pedestrian @ 10k & UM 10k,25k,50k.The policy was $227 last year and now they are asking $277.In comparing the various parts of the policy, each part went up some amount. Is written for my home in eastern KY.
In the past I have tried other sources and they were always much higher. My home & auto insurance is with KY Farm Bureau-they do not offer MC insurance.
What say you about your MC insurance?

$650 a year for an airhead that they probably value at about $42 dollars:thumb

but that's down about 75 bucks from last year.

Last edited:
Full coverage on bike, 2000 R1100RT w/no medical coverage (covered under our medical).$250 ded $184. per year thatÔÇÖs up about$20 from last year.

Had been under American Family for years when I called my agent to insure my
K100 he said "Friend you know your 100% sure to have an accident on that bike" Pi--ed me off so bad I went elsewhere for insurance. :fight

Kansas

I just got off the toll free line from Progressive and got a quote of $660 for same coverage thru American Modern @$277 for next year. She was conversational and said that she just quoted over$6k on a crotch rocket a few minutes ago! She was surprised that mine was that much less, saying she usually hears the opposite when making quotes. My coverages are minimal except for the physical damage to apparel & bike. One large item on comparison is that Progressive will not let you decline PIP-personal injury protection, whereas American Modern will allow me to. I am 66 and on Medicare(Humana Advantage plan until Obama does away with it, which he says he wants to do). I would be paying twice for that type coverage as I already have medical insurance. For me to go from a $500 deductible to $1k saves me very little-say $5 yearly. I am paying a little over $500 yearly/each for my 08 BMW car and 2010 Tundra. When you consider the value they are far more valuable than my bike, but of course more likely on the odds for the bike to be in an accident.
I just got a call from the agent and I can add bike tow up to $300 for $8 yearly so that seems to make sense-I'm not sure why it wasn't on there already.

I just got off the phone with Progressive, too. I canceled my policy and went with Markel.

Progressive (sent there by USAA) lowballed the original quote by failing to include uninsured motorist coverage. They generally annoyed me (including nagging for payment even though the policy was paid in full) until I left.

As we talked about coverages the Progressive rep found all kinds of excuses to explain the difference in cost, including that Markel has not been insuring motorcycles long enough to be qualified to assess risk. Right.

When I told her I was leaving she said they would charge a $30 cancellation fee! Nice. Oh, did I tell you they'll eventually send me a refund check even though I paid in full instantly with a debit card?

Anyway, Markel quoted $115 less for the same (very minimal) coverage. 50/100/25 liability, 50/100/25 UI, 2500 medical, 500 deductible comp/coll. $517 on my 2009 R1200RT.

now, I do not insure the bike itself but for the other liability at 1mil it costs me $130 per year. Two bikes for $220. - Bob

$650 Full coverage 08 GT, but we only get to ride 6 months of the year here:banghead

Geico... Which I was a little fearful of but in a hurry to insure to get on the road the weekend I bought the bike.

when i first moved to the city they offered me coverage at 2400 dollars for my 99 R11S.:banghead

i think i should start saying i garage, like tessler, forgot to mention that last year.:scratch

when i first moved to the city they offered me coverage at 2400 dollars for my 99 R11S.:banghead

i think i should start saying i garage, like tessler, forgot to mention that last year.:scratch

Maybe I'm spoiled a bit up here. Sounds like there are 'issues' with coverage in NYC. Why would mine be so much cheaper? NYC is not likely to be more temperate in climate than here. I could ride most of the year also. What is it that makes your rates so high?? - Bob

1,680 per year full coverage.
3 bikes
01 k1200lt
04 r1150rt
07 r1200gs..

I havent been able to get it any cheaper either.........

maybe I need to get rid of some bikes

$1400 a year for two bikes. Liability is $1 million and it includes fire and theft, but the bikes themselves are only covered for collision if someone runs over or into me. I envy your insurance rates south of the border. :ca

theft would be a big one, as would be my age and unmarried status, although both those are beginning to change, hahha. i do have a less than perfect driving record with 3 speeding tickets in the last five years (all in a 1 yr period about 5 yrs ago) although my MSF instructor status does afford me a bit of a discount.

About $350 per year full coverage on a 2002 GS, Geico...in Orange County NY

2003 R1200CLC and 1986 R80RT--$100,000/300,000 liability limits, $100 deductible comprehensive and $250 deductible collision costs me a total of $238.00 per year through Progressive. There are advantages to being in the sticks of Virginia and no violations or accidents.

2004 F-150, 2008 Impala, 2001 Escape and 2004 Flagstaff 25' travel trailer--$500,000 single limit liability coverage with $500 deductible on both comprehensive and collision on all costs me a total of $810 per year through Erie Insurance.

Ken

Back