• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

You guys will hate me for this!

But I am seriously considering trading my 2018 R1200RT in for a new Goldwing.

I sat on one the other day and really like the feel of it. The seat height is lower, the seat doesn't slope forward, I like the seating position better. I am not a big fan of the sport touring seating position, but I have dealt with it for five years. My wife likes the rear seat better. Also with the lower seat height the GW feels so much lighter. I downloaded the owner's manual and have been looking it over and like the audio and Bluetooth intercom set up. Honda was nice enough to have the Bluetooth work with any brand of head sets, unlike the RT.

I might see about taking one for a test ride later this week.
My dad just picked up a 2007 R1250RT moving from riding GW's for the last 40 years. The GW is just getting too heavy for him to be able to safely control. great bikes though and he still absolutely loves them.

My dad just picked up a 2007 R1250RT moving from riding GW's for the last 40 years. The GW is just getting too heavy for him to be able to safely control. great bikes though and he still absolutely loves them.

Minor correction John; if it's a 2007, it would be an R1200RT. The 1250's didn't show up until 2018.

And welcome to the forum.

First thing I thought of when I got on a new Goldwing is how light it felt. IMO, the RT feels significantly heavier. The Goldwing has so much of the weight down low. For example, the fuel tank is under the seat. the engine has very little of it extending above the heads.

I got off the RT to a Goldwing for the same reason your dad went from a Goldwing to an RT!

I didn't want another motorcycle that runs in the 900 pound area, but I was getting tired of the RT seat height and riding position, plus my wife rides with me most of the time. This last summer I put on about 10,000 miles and I will bet she was on back for 9,500 miles. She was done with the RT seating position too. After our long trip last summer she told me she was done riding long distances. We talked and decided to try a motorcycle with a more relaxed seating position, so the Goldwing showed up. We have another 5,000 mile trip planned for this summer so we will see!

Last edited:
First thing I thought of when I got on a new Goldwing is how light it felt. IMO, the RT feels significantly heavier. The Goldwing has so much of the weight down low. For example, the fuel tank is under the seat. the engine has very little of it extending above the heads.

I got off the RT to a Goldwing for the same reason your dad went from a Goldwing to an RT!

I didn't want another motorcycle that runs in the 900 pound area, but I was getting tired of the RT seat height and riding position, plus my wife rides with me most of the time. This last summer I put on about 10,000 miles and I will bet she was on back for 9,500 miles. She was done with the RT seating position too. After our long trip last summer she told me she was done riding long distances. We talked and decided to try a motorcycle with a more relaxed seating position, so the Goldwing showed up. We have another 5,000 mile trip planned for this summer so we will see!
It is always interesting how a persons riding style can affect how they feel the bike under them. His major problems were getting the GW off the side stand and slow speed maneuverability. A great deal is also dependent on the year and design of that particular bike.

We did a 5500 mile tour this past July and I watched many times as my dad struggled to get the GW off the side stand. He is and always will be a major fan of the older GW's, but even more so of being on two wheels, so he will do what he feels necessary to ensure he can continue riding.

His wife never rides with him, so that always makes a difference in how a bike feels to a rider as well.

It is always interesting how a persons riding style can affect how they feel the bike under them. His major problems were getting the GW off the side stand and slow speed maneuverability. A great deal is also dependent on the year and design of that particular bike.

We did a 5500 mile tour this past July and I watched many times as my dad struggled to get the GW off the side stand. He is and always will be a major fan of the older GW's, but even more so of being on two wheels, so he will do what he feels necessary to ensure he can continue riding.

His wife never rides with him, so that always makes a difference in how a bike feels to a rider as well.
Perhaps it is the previous model GW. I have a 2023 and I think it handles like a mini bike. I don't have many miles on it, but I like it better than my RT I had as far as getting it off the side stand and slow speed maneuvering. Also, I had a 2018 RT. I am not sure how they compare to the 2007 your pop had.

When I picked up the bike at the dealer they would not load it into my pickup, claimed insurance reasons. So I need to get on a bike I have just a few miles of riding experience, ride it into their back lot, pull a tight u-turn, ride it up a loading ramp and into my pickup! Also it is a DCT so I was unfamiliar with how the bike would react running up the ramp. Needless to say I was a bit nervous, but it went just fine.

Perhaps it is the previous model GW. I have a 2023 and I think it handles like a mini bike. I don't have many miles on it, but I like it better than my RT I had as far as getting it off the side stand and slow speed maneuvering. Also, I had a 2018 RT. I am not sure how they compare to the 2007 your pop had.

When I picked up the bike at the dealer they would not load it into my pickup, claimed insurance reasons. So I need to get on a bike I have just a few miles of riding experience, ride it into their back lot, pull a tight u-turn, ride it up a loading ramp and into my pickup! Also it is a DCT so I was unfamiliar with how the bike would react running up the ramp. Needless to say I was a bit nervous, but it went just fine.
Yep, dad's GW is a 2002, so much different than the 2023. He is retired, so no way was he going to put himself out to move into such a new bike. That is why he ended up with the 2007 RT. He is in Illinois, so he is itching to get a good day to ride.

Holy crap that would have had me renting a trailer.

But I am seriously considering trading my 2018 R1200RT in for a new Goldwing.

I sat on one the other day and really like the feel of it. The seat height is lower, the seat doesn't slope forward, I like the seating position better. I am not a big fan of the sport touring seating position, but I have dealt with it for five years. My wife likes the rear seat better. Also with the lower seat height the GW feels so much lighter. I downloaded the owner's manual and have been looking it over and like the audio and Bluetooth intercom set up. Honda was nice enough to have the Bluetooth work with any brand of head sets, unlike the RT.

I might see about taking one for a test ride later this week.
We all have to admit to aging at some point! Can't wait to hear. I have friends that swear by them, but HD folks give them even more grief than they give to us!

We all have to admit to aging at some point! Can't wait to hear. I have friends that swear by them, but HD folks give them even more grief than they give to us!
Well, a few on my Harley riding friends know and of course I am getting a friendly ration of crap. I have one friend that has had a 1200 GW, and a 1500 GW when I was riding Harleys, so I an getting crap from him too!

I added a trailer hitch and repainted my Unigo trailer, added some driving lights I had on the BMW, luggage rack and some other minor items.

The Unigo repaint is a cheap job. It was bright red that closely matched the RT, it looked weird behind the Goldwing. I wasn't going to bother with color matched paint, but I found Rustoleum burgundy that is close, at 80 MPH I doubt anyone will notice. It is a solid color enamel, no metal flake. I gave it a few coats of burgundy, and a few coats of clear. I was surprised how well it turned out, and even more so after a light sanding and buffing it out. I have about $100 into the re-paint.

Attachments

• Goldwing and Unigo.jpg
    Goldwing and Unigo.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 48
Well, a few on my Harley riding friends know and of course I am getting a friendly ration of crap. I have one friend that has had a 1200 GW, and a 1500 GW when I was riding Harleys, so I an getting crap from him too!

I added a trailer hitch and repainted my Unigo trailer, added some driving lights I had on the BMW, luggage rack and some other minor items.

The Unigo repaint is a cheap job. It was bright red that closely matched the RT, it looked weird behind the Goldwing. I wasn't going to bother with color matched paint, but I found Rustoleum burgundy that is close, at 80 MPH I doubt anyone will notice. It is a solid color enamel, no metal flake. I gave it a few coats of burgundy, and a few coats of clear. I was surprised how well it turned out, and even more so after a light sanding and buffing it out. I have about $100 into the re-paint.
That looks very good even when standing still. BTW, how many BTUs does that ”heater” put out? Wish I had that in my garage.

how many BTUs does that ”heater” put out? Wish I had that in my garage.
45,000 BTU, 80% Ruud furnace.

My "shop" is an oversized two car garage. 24 wide and 38 feet deep. I would rather have a three stall as I have to back out a vehicle to get the bike out. but I do have a nice work area wrapped around the back walls. Room enough for a lift table and much more.
Best part about the furnace is I have air conditioning too! Even in North Dakota it can get miserable up here in the summer. It isn't unusual to see 95F and nearly humidity so it is nice to work in the cool shop. Every so often we may see 100F+ plus, and with the near 100% humidity, so it isn't always the frozen north. Also, the years when the mosquitoes are thick I can lock them outside!

I have the HVAC on a WiFi thermostat with a schedule. I keep it about 55 in the winter but can take my phone and set the temperature through an app. Some times I am out there every day, then I just take a minute and program in the warmer or cooler set point, just during the daytime, depending on the time of the year.

Last edited:
Had a 2010 GW and loved it for the long distance rides. I think you'll really love riding the new GW. However I finally traded my GW for a 2018 RT as I felt we needed to get a lighter bike. Unfortunately the RT, even with a low seat, was too tall for my 29" inseam and felt top heavy. I was getting the RT serviced at the dealer and they had a 1250 RS there that was part of the upcoming BMW demo days set up. Threw a leg over it and I was sold. I could practically flat foot it and it felt significantly lighter. Wanted an Austin Yellow one so did some searching and in a couple of months we had it in the garage. IMHO the GW is hands down the best touring bike anywhere. BTW, my HD riding friends would regularly tell me that "holy crap that GW is fast"

Had a 2010 GW and loved it for the long distance rides.
A buddy just bought a 2008 GW. I have ridden both and feel the latest generation is a "lighter" handling bike. He hasn't ridden mine, but he has sat on both and says mine feels noticeably lighter.

It was kind of funny. He has ridden Goldwings in the past. I was with when he made the deal and used my truck and trailer to haul it home. Cold weather and icy streets required a trailer. He had me load it and unload it at his house. I have ridden his 2008, he hasn't yet! He didn't want his "first" ride to have an audience!

PXL_20240320_162848708.jpeg
Well, PoorUB, I've joined you. I still love my RT, and for solo riding it beats the GW, but at least 90% of my riding is 2-up, and after a couple hundred miles on this, I did the right thing. Sad thing is, dealers only offer about 40% of blue-book price for the base model RT on a trade in, which pretty much covers how much I put into various comfort measures and upgrades. Now I have two bikes. Hopefully that will resolve itself in more satisfactory terms.

Stebe/PoorUSB - why would we hate you for choosing the scooters that you like or suits your needs better than BMWs? Especially so when you are generally a two-up rider, and your passenger is more comfortable on a Wing.

Besides, you being here on a BMW forum and admitting you are riding a Wing gives us an easy target for our crap....:LOL:

Just ride safe on whatever you choose to ride - and of course - keep mama happy...

No argument from me. Here’s my ADV bike. DCT starship……

Attachments

• 20210711_063028.jpeg
    20210711_063028.jpeg
    837.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210719_054145.jpeg
    20210719_054145.jpeg
    549.2 KB · Views: 16
Back