• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

You guys will hate me for this!

We talked trading in my RT on this used one with 12,000 miles, but they want a bit more than what I see on NADA, and they are a bit low on the trade value. I have a color matched top case, the spendy one, like $1600 new, handle bar risers, engine guard with highway pegs and they wouldn't give me a penny more. If I trade I will strip the bike and sell on the market place here.

I have found most anything that looks like a plus- accessory wise, gets a meh from a dealer during a trade….BUT- someone looking to buy the well accessorized bike, the dealer really promotes them.

Piecing out a bikes accessories is a lot of work and yields more money but it seems one earns it.

Nice that you liked the Goldwing. :thumb

OM

Thanks for posting. Gives me something to think about.

I wonder about adjusting to the DCT, but then it took awhile to get used to the shift-assist on the RT, now I wonder how I got along without it. I spent a lot of $ making the RT rideable, too. Bar backs, floor boards, quiet windshield, RDL seat, low Sargent seat for shorter rides 2-up so that I feel confident at stops, top case, tip-over bars.

Just like HD high dollar, BMW bust my wallet upgrades start to run into some money. Still, as OM pointed out, a lot of time and energy involved in parting out all those tidbits, and at this stage of life time is the more precious commodity. We're heading to the mountains tomorrow, but when we get back I think we'll go to the Honda shop and see what's shaking.

It's a big decision, and I love the RT, if it just weren't so tall and top heavy. I wonder about lowered suspension, but that might bring about too many other issues.

I wonder about adjusting to the DCT, but then it took awhile to get used to the shift-assist on the RT, now I wonder how I got along without it. I spent a lot of $ making the RT rideable, too. Bar backs, floor boards, quiet windshield, RDL seat, low Sargent seat for shorter rides 2-up so that I feel confident at stops, top case, tip-over bars.

Just like HD high dollar, BMW bust my wallet upgrades start to run into some money. Still, as OM pointed out, a lot of time and energy involved in parting out all those tidbits, and at this stage of life time is the more precious commodity. We're heading to the mountains tomorrow, but when we get back I think we'll go to the Honda shop and see what's shaking.

It's a big decision, and I love the RT, if it just weren't so tall and top heavy. I wonder about lowered suspension, but that might bring about too many other issues.

Well, to be fair, you did try to turn an RT that doesn’t fit you into a Wing and that isn’t ever gonna be cheap.

As for stripping the accessories, A couple hours will get a lot done as far as getting parts off the bike. Much faster to remove than to install! But then there is the pictures and listing the items, then dealing with crazy people!

I've not ridden the new GW, does it sit that much lower?

On the GW, with the suspension adjusted all the way up I can flat foot with my knees bent. Plus it carries the weight low so it is nothing to pick it off the side stand.

Well, mama and I put about 200 miles on the RT today. We are about 99% sure the RT will be sold and we will buy a 'Wing. We are in no hurry, I will probably park the RT and strip it of the accessories this winter and list it here and on Fakebook and see what happens. If it doesn't sell until spring, no big deal. It isn't like Fargo has great riding the next five months!

I will post on the group when anything changes.

Well, mama and I put about 200 miles on the RT today. We are about 99% sure the RT will be sold and we will buy a 'Wing. We are in no hurry, I will probably park the RT and strip it of the accessories this winter and list it here and on Fakebook and see what happens. If it doesn't sell until spring, no big deal. It isn't like Fargo has great riding the next five months!

I will post on the group when anything changes.

A buddy of mine just sold his R1250GS in about 2 hours. The stop sale order is your friend.

Help me out. Have we decided we hate PoorUB, or not.

PartingShots-1-1100x782.jpg

:wave

OM

Well, I need to update! A month ago my wife and i took a GW for a test ride. A dealer had a used 2021 that we were considering. We put about 20 miles on it, a bit of city and the rest out on a mix of winding country two lane and some divided highway. Funny, but my wife liked the bike before, but was reluctant to spend the money, but after the ride she was all in!

We talked abut buying the bike out right or trading the RT and I wasn't comfortable with either. So we thanked the salesman for his time, and left.

We were in the Minneapolis area for a couple days and we had some free time so I was looking on the internet and found a dealer that had some GWs in stock. We get there and they had a few 2023 DCT models in stock. The best part? They were trying to move them out at $4,100 off list. They didn't really want to trade as their offer showed that, but with my wife's insistence we bought a red DCT straight out, so the RT is getting ready to be sold.

The best part it was $500 higher than the used 2021 we looked at a couple weeks earlier. We were not prepared to ride it or haul it home, (crap, it is winter here already!), so we are running down next Tuesday to pick it up.

I haven't even ridden it yet and might not get to for a few months. We got a bit of snow the last couple days. Oh well, I get all wither to get it set up for next spring.

Well, I need to update! A month ago my wife and i took a GW for a test ride. A dealer had a used 2021 that we were considering. We put about 20 miles on it, a bit of city and the rest out on a mix of winding country two lane and some divided highway. Funny, but my wife liked the bike before, but was reluctant to spend the money, but after the ride she was all in!

We talked abut buying the bike out right or trading the RT and I wasn't comfortable with either.so we thanked the salesman for his time, and left.

We were in the Minneapolis area for a couple days and we had some free time so I was looking on the internet and found a dealer that had some GWs in stock. We get there and they had a few 2023 DCT models in stock. The best part? They were trying to move them out at $4,100 off list. They didn't really want to trade as their offer showed that, but with my wife's insistence we bought a red DCT straight out, so the RT is getting ready to be sold.

The best part it was $500 higher than the used 2021 we looked at a couple weeks earlier. We were not prepared to ride it or haul it home, (crap, it is winter here already!), so we are running down next Tuesday to pick it up.

I haven't even ridden it yet and might not get to for a few months. We got a bit of snow the last couple days. Oh well, I get all wither to get it set up for next spring.

Nice!
Congratulations!
Try to keep us updated on how it works out for you.

OM

Well, it is official, The R1200RT is sold. My BMW days are over, onto a Goldwing group!:)

I did get a couple hundred miles on the 'Wing before the snow hit. If we have a mild winter, maybe a few more.

It was a great bike, I will miss it. The guy that bought the RT has a Honda ST1100 with 130,000 miles on it. He said he is thinking seriously of a four corners ride, so it sounds like he will get some use out of it. He was a like a 60 year kid with a new toy!

Well, it is official, The R1200RT is sold. My BMW days are over, onto a Goldwing group!:)

I did get a couple hundred miles on the 'Wing before the snow hit. If we have a mild winter, maybe a few more.

It was a great bike, I will miss it. The guy that bought the RT has a Honda ST1100 with 130,000 miles on it. He said he is thinking seriously of a four corners ride, so it sounds like he will get some use out of it. He was a like a 60 year kid with a new toy!

The beauty of a GW in Fargo...you can run a studded snow on the rear in winter and a passenger tread in summer...at about $68/tire. Congrats on the find and sale.

Back