• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yet another ABSII question

chrismiii

R1100RT,K75,Burgman650
Does anyone know how many times you can reset and ABSII computer?
I have a 2000 R1100RT with the voltage modification which I installed a few years ago. It uses the field lead from the alternator to supply the voltage with the relay in the circuit just as everyone else has done which has been posted for years. I had the misfortune of a Hall sensor going south last November while in Big Springs AR. far a rally. I had Little Rock BMW replace my sensor for me since I was away from my tools and supplies. They did a nice job ÔÇô or so I thought however when the tech was done and the test driver brought it around for me he indicated the ABS was faulting. Since my wallet was dry after the $700+ charge & I was short on and time I told them to let it go at the time. I figured it was just a quick reset anyway. I did it quickly in their lot and was on my way back to Chicago that afternoon and night. I parked the bike for winter until early March when I rode it quickly down to Knoxville due to relocation. As I just started out the ABS faulted right away. I elected to continue with the lights flashing beijng short on time. I just kept turning off the ABS switch every 4.5 minutes. This was not a fun ride. I finally reset it later and have done so several times since this spring. It would reset and would test fine and normal. It would cycle the pumps as it should and the lights would stay out, however just about every time when it was cold or starting out it would again show a fault. I would again go though the reset procedure. Due to my long journey to Redmond coming up I decided to peel the Tupperware & tank off and investigate. To my surprise I found the field lead disconnected from the alternator. They had to remove the alternator to replace the Hall sensor and they apparently forgot to reattach it. So the ABS never had the voltage check until I finally reattached the lead. However now that I have reconnected it will not reset anymore and IÔÇÖm a guessing the computer has a limited number of resets until it needs to be recoded to the bike. My long winded question is; does anyone know if this is the case? Since it has been reset so many times again I am assuming they have built in a limit until it has to be recoded and reinitialized with the shop test equipment. If anyone can bring some insight I would appreciate it very much.
See you at Redmond!

Back