• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why boxer engine now that it's liquid cooled?

I have a G310GS that has "blown" two engines: one a misplaced valve keeper at 30,000 miles other a destroyed counter shaft bearing at 34,000 miles. I still like/love that bike. Pick your poison and have fun.

I had a bike like that. A Buell Ulysses. It was one of my favorite bikes I ever owned, but also the only bike that ever left me stranded on the side of the road...twice. And also ruined a track day. All the failures were due to the electrical system. Either the voltage regulator or stator.

It shook like a wet dog at idle...so much so that I'd have to stand up at stop lights to keep from getting a headache. But once underway...it was smooth as silk. Sounded great. Handled like a sport bike. Was a wheelie monster with that high torque motor and short wheelbase. The quirky brake was cool too and the preferred brake pads caused a "zzzzzzzzzzzzz" sound when you applied the brakes. There was no technology....no traction control. No ABS. The steep steering angle made it "flick" into corners. It was a stone axe in terms of engine design. Super easy to maintain. No valve adjustments. Just change the oil and primary fluid. The belt drive was a blessing and a curse. No lubrication, but I saw many that got damaged by debris getting stuck in the sprockets....but certainly easier to replace over lubing splines. The rear cylinder ran so hot it had a fan to cool it and when you shut off the bike the fan would be screaming to keep the rear cylinder from cooking itself. The frame was the fuel tank and the swingarm was the oil tank. It was such a great bike. It had a built in back rest that could be folded down to act as a luggage rack. Had the company not been shuttered by HD I might still be riding them.

Was it a perfect bike...uh...no. Not even close. But it was a bike that was so lovable. When you started it and let it idle in the driveway...it idled so rough...it would turn circles as you put on your gloves.....as if it was saying, "Let's go ride!!".

It handled so well, I took it to the track a few times. I was the only sport touring bike on the track most of the time, but seldom had any issues keeping up with the sport bike guys. Here I am, luggage racks installed and all, dragging a knee on the track on my Ulysses. It was a fantastic bike that radiated character. You had to learn to ride the bike like it wanted to be ridden versus how you wanted to ride it.

IOWA5718.jpeg

I have a G310GS that has "blown" two engines: one a misplaced valve keeper at 30,000 miles other a destroyed counter shaft bearing at 34,000 miles. I still like/love that bike. Pick your poison and have fun.

Do I remember correctly that both failures were covered under warranty?

The 3/36 warranty is something that purchasers of BMW motorcycles forget. It is a good benefit.

OM

The 3/36 warranty is something that purchasers of BMW motorcycles forget. It is a good benefit.

OM
Not as good as the 36 months unlimited mileage one it replaced.

OM

The first one was out of warranty but BMW covered it as goodwill. The second one was under the two-year warranty on replacement parts.

In many ways, I think the r80 line hit the “sweet spot” for a general use motorcycle. Big enough for the occasional cross-county tour, but light enough for routine in-town use. Fairly reliable and easy to maintain, if they had only been improved with a better charging system, FI, abs brakes, and a more robust transmission input shaft they might still sell well today. Although this is a boxer engine thread, I will mention the same might be said for the K75 line of bikes. They were good machines, too.

For my money, the K75's are still good bikes today. I have two in my motorpool and I enjoy the hell out of both of them. With modern suspension upgrades, tires, brake pads, etc. they ride and handle very well, and the best part is that I only put a wrench on them at the 6,000 and 12,000 mile services. Keep the clutch and rear drive splines lubed and the rest of the drive train - and fuel system - becomes a sealed unit. I work on bikes because I have to, not because I want to, so for me, a reliable bike demonstrates it's responsibility to make my happy riding. And I'll take that over character any day. :brow

K75

The K75 RS and naked are two non airhead bikes I would consider owning. A co worker had one and had 100,000 miles with nothing to do but put gas oil, occasional AF and tires on it. St.

Back