• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why boxer engine now that it's liquid cooled?

Generally speaking, adventure bikes are the SUV's of motorcycling.

Correct. And some are the "mall crawlers" of motorcycling. Lights, knobbies, crash bars, bark busters, etc....and not a speck of mud on the bike.

I am a big guy, so I fit better in SUVs and on ADV bikes, but I prefer driving and riding smaller vehicles.

I do love my boxers.

IMG_1174.jpg

I had a 2012 camhead GS, sold it and bought a 16RS. Few months later I purposely looked for and bought another camhead [ 2011 RT ]. I liked the idea the camheads were the culmination of 75 years of development, tweeks and advancements.

The camhead ticks all the boxes for me, yet the 16RS is a great motor with what seems like more giddy up.

My biggest ADV bike is only 400 lbs and it goes offroad very nicely! I have no interest in a GS that's not an airhead.
IMG_8025-XL.jpg

Well you could buy a Harley and have a cylinder head in your crotch and an exhaust pipe running down your leg. Boxer configuration puts these as far away from rider as possible.

And, with BMW there will probably never be a need for an excessive engine heat class action suit.

And, with BMW there will never be a need to deactivate a cylinder because of excessive heat in one cylinder.

Then, there's the low center of gravity thing, which is significant.

I don't know how you guys do it. I am 5'10", 32'" inseam. Several times I have tried to sit on a late model GS at the dealer. I couldn't even throw my leg over it. I got on like you would on a horse, side stand down, left foot on the peg, hop up and over. Once on with my weight on the seat I could barely tippy toe it. I asked the salesman if the seat was in the low position, it was. There was not way I could ride one with the wife on back and a weeks worth the luggage. I know they advertise a 32" seat height, but I know I can't do it! Plus I never go off road, other than a bit of gravel once in a while and my RT handles it just fine.

I have tried pretty much all the larger adventure bikes and I can not toss a leg over any of them.

I think it’s in large part what you grew up with. For me, that was tall dirt bikes like Bultaco and the Combat Wombat where touching the ground at a standstill meant you’d fallen off. At 5-9 with a 29” inseam I ride a standard height 2018 GSA. I mount it the way you described and have perfected the use of tippy toes, though through practice have mastered the art of stopping for several seconds with my feet on the pegs.

At 5-9 with a 29” inseam I ride a standard height 2018 GSA. I mount it the way you described and have perfected the use of tippy toes

At 6'5" with a 36" inseam...what is this "tippy toes" thing you speak of?

I am very familiar with the "bash your shins on the cylinders" syndrome though.

...... with a 29” inseam I ride a standard height 2018 GSA. I mount it the way you described and have perfected the use of tippy toes, though through practice have mastered the art of stopping for several seconds with my feet on the pegs.

I am impressed with how easily I can maneuver my (new to me) 1200 GSA at speeds close to a standstill. My outgoing ride, a '78 Honda 750, does not do that as gracefully.

My inseam is similar to yours.

I am a BMW motorcycle salesperson, and I think it is wonderful that BMW offers so many different models and drivetrains.

BMW makes a motorcycle to suit your lifestyle and riding preference. Want an airhead (ok and oil), buy an R9T or R18. Want a pure sport bike? Buy an S1000RR. Want an adventure bike? Buy a GS. Want a naked bike? Buy an R. Want a scooter? Buy a C400GT. Want electric? CE04 or CE02. Want a starter bike, or one that you can ride as you get older? Buy a 310!

Harley? They want you to suit your life around their outdated motorcycles.

Instead of looking a the negative.....have gratitude that BMW is constantly upgrading the safety, technology and looks of their bikes, as well as introducing new models!

I am a BMW motorcycle salesperson, and I think it is wonderful that BMW offers so many different models and drivetrains.

BMW makes a motorcycle to suit your lifestyle and riding preference. Want an airhead (ok and oil), buy an R9T or R18. Want a pure sport bike? Buy an S1000RR. Want an adventure bike? Buy a GS. Want a naked bike? Buy an R. Want a scooter? Buy a C400GT. Want electric? CE04 or CE02. Want a starter bike, or one that you can ride as you get older? Buy a 310!

I want an ICE motorcycle that weighs no more than 425 lbs and makes 75 hp.

Or... an electric *motorcycle*.

Why?

Like asking why HD still runs the V-Twin. They are moving to water cooled and my bet is they stay with the V-Twin, much like BMW stays with the boxer, until the electric revolution kicks in. And even then I can see the future electric bikes cashing in on the engine design to look like the old ICE motors. Does Triumph still put the fake plastic looking carbs on their Bonnies? Tradition is something hard to deviate from....

Why the Boxer?

I love my boxers. Both of them Oil cooled and water cooled. They have soul. They feel different, sound different, look different and contribute to my happiness! Low center of gravity, mine have been solid performers. Stay ahead of the maintenance.

And I have the Big A$$ yellow lights on my GSA. I've seen cars going to pull out in front of me stop, I think because of those lights. The smaller white add on's for my RT, they pull out. Good to have all the help we can get.

Jerry

Over the years

Over the years I have looked like an explosion of the Vanson, Aerostich, Klim and Shoei stores in my riding apparel. But in three accidents, that bunch of gear saved me a lot of damage. I am looking now at a Stadler Jacket to replace my cut up Aerostich but no one sells them locally or in the US. St.

My Klim Adventure suit's Gore Tex has lost it's waterproof capabilities. I'm pretty sad about that at that most premium price point. I'm thinking Aerostich as a replacement as I really wouldn't want to pay the price of what they go for now.

But back to Boxers I agree one of the biggest things about all of mine is that they all have soul as stated by previous people. I think that's one of the reasons Japanese bikes don't stir any emotion in me and therefore I own none.

None of the newer BMW's stir much emotion in me either. Good thing my relationship with the local BMW dealer is done: now I never have to buy one.:ha

My Klim Adventure suit's Gore Tex has lost it's waterproof capabilities. I'm pretty sad about that at that most premium price point. I'm thinking Aerostich as a replacement as I really wouldn't want to pay the price of what they go for now.

But back to Boxers I agree one of the biggest things about all of mine is that they all have soul as stated by previous people. I think that's one of the reasons Japanese bikes don't stir any emotion in me and therefore I own none.

None of the newer BMW's stir much emotion in me either. Good thing my relationship with the local BMW dealer is done: now I never have to buy one.:ha

Agreed.
2-3 years back, I rode my buddies Honda ncx something from the dealer to his house.
In 58 years of riding I have never had my ass on any bike that had less soul.
It was like riding a refrigerator.

I've found that when Klim says their gear is "guaranteed to keep you dry," they don't really mean it. I got rid of the Velocity jacket and Carlsbad pants I had and replaced them with an Aerostich R-3 Light one-piece for commuting and a Darien Light jacket and AD-1 pants for when the ride is the destination. The Klim gear leaked like a sieve through the ventilation zippers that were well placed to allow air to enter when opened, but equally poorly placed to allow water to be forced through when closed.

Not quite 2 months and 2000 miles into a relationship with my 2023 R1250RS, I'm finding it to be a very smooth and capable road eater. It's well planted, handles better than I thought such a heavy bike would, and it can definitely shift. It may be lacking a bit of soul, but that's why I'll never get rid of my 2013 Triumph Street Triple R.

Agreed.
2-3 years back, I rode my buddies Honda ncx something from the dealer to his house.
In 58 years of riding I have never had my ass on any bike that had less soul.
It was like riding a refrigerator.

In my own 58 years of riding, after 700k miles and 40 different motorcycles, I’m still not sure what “soul” in a bike is. They are machines, tools to get you there and back.

They were all different, though. Some vibrated and some didn’t. Some had good brakes and suspension, others were marginal in one or both. Some were fast, some only just fast enough . Some were reliable, others not so much. Some were easy to maintain, others just frustrating. I enjoyed them all, for a while anyway …

A shaft driven boxer drivetrain has always made sense to me, which included an r60, r80, and r1200. But the best boxer drivetrain in my personal experience was a gl1100, which IMHO was even better than a later gl1800.

Smooth, quiet, reliable, and easy to maintain motorcycles have always been my favorite rides, though. Is that maybe the equivalent to the “soul” other riders refer to?

Back