• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

whatta u think its worth?

eastbay

I've tried to do a little research, but the prices are all over the place, and sometimes it's hard to find actual selling prices. I'm more familiar with later model BMW's. Had mostly K75's and oilheads, but I had an airhead many moons ago. It seems like some models like the S and GS are pricier than the nakeds. I currently have a 2000R1100RT. I'm interested in this 1986 R80 as it's a neighbors, so I can walk to see it. I just rehabbed a K11LT that had sat for years with water in the tank, so I know what's involved in one that's been sitting. I picked the K up cheap, as it was a non runner. I know It's a BIG RISK buying a non runner, no way to check out a LOT of things. This is a little less risky, as it's a neighbor who wouldn't outright lie to me. With a manual and utubes I can do wrenching. I've never had to do major stuff like valves, pistons, trannies, but have done fork seals, fuel pumps, brakes,and some electric gremlins. I like the simplicity of this bike, and the size. I haven't actually seen it yet, but will if it stops raining long enough. I think we had 5 inches last night! I'm scared of anything newer than the 11 I have, as there is no dealer where I live so it would be a major hassle if I got in over my head with a newer one. I would advise my neighbor that he would get a lot more if he would get it running, and have an easier sell. With all the potential issues of a non runner, I figure half of what a runner is worth, depending on the model and condition. That's just me.
So , whatta you think? I know it's subjective, but I've been out of airheads for a while and I don't know their market.
https://panamacity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/panama-city-1986-bmw-r80/7387416706.html

Would be nice to see the other side of the bike. Does that valve cover look like it's on the wrong side? :scratch Seems like the price isn't too bad.

High

If the bike is a non runner, the price is too high. Half of what he has listed is fair. Sorry to be cruel but just because it is a BMW means nothing in the long run. I would question the mileage a lot, a 25K bike should not look like this one, unless the guy really rode it hard and if he did, the price is too high.

Sadly, there are lot of people who price bikes way higher than what they are worth and it can be very hard to get a good and fair deal. Good luck what ever you do. St.

If the bike is a non runner, the price is too high. Half of what he has listed is fair. Sorry to be cruel but just because it is a BMW means nothing in the long run. I would question the mileage a lot, a 25K bike should not look like this one, unless the guy really rode it hard and if he did, the price is too high.

Sadly, there are lot of people who price bikes way higher than what they are worth and it can be very hard to get a good and fair deal. Good luck what ever you do. St.
Thanks, That's what I was thinking too. I don't want to insult him, but I was thinking half too. Like I said, I would advise him to get it running if he wants to get close to his asking price.

See if

It can't hurt to see if he will compromise on the price or work. Maybe even give you a warranty or return policy, anything can happen if two people are reasonable. Offering half would be a good start and depending upon the seller's attitude you could go from there.

Sadly with the airhead riders population aging out, there are a lot of them selling nice bikes for reasonable prices. Only problem is when the reasonable priced bike is 500 miles away. If you don't buy this one, one will come along. Good luck. St.

If it were running, this bike would be a condition 4 per the Vintage Motorcycle Price guide and worth $3000. Maybe you can work with the seller and help him get it running. If it were just put away and got dirty, some fresh gas and a battery might do the trick. Then go from there.

I always question a bike when, according to the seller, it's only an $80.00 battery away from running. Note they did say needs some TLC however, what does that really mean? I'd tell them put a battery in it or your at half what they're asking...if they go for the half, then do you really wonder?

It's difficult to tell cosmetics from a puter pic. A 35 year old bike will age even when garaged based on the climate so I am not surprised to see the paint on the valve covers flaked. As far as actual miles foot peg rubber wear is a better indicator.

If parked without the gas being drained gas you can be certain the carbs will need some rehab. Could require a cleaning or a rebuild. I would get power to the bike, jump it, and see if it turns over and if the electrics all work. Check the gas tank for rust and the age and condition of the tires. Add what you find needs repair to the cost of resuscitating the bike.

It is far cheaper to find a pristine bike and pay a higher price than to restore one. $2900 is not a bargain in the condition described. He is your neighbor so some friendly negotiation is in order. Some people are not based in reality and get pissed when confronted. Assuming things check out I would not want to pay more than $2K and closer to $1500.

My .02 YMMV

$1500 for a non-runner. you take a lot of chances buying a non-running bike. you would be taking all the risk so the price should reflect that.

Pictures

I remember a friend went to look at a boat he saw for sale on Craigslist. Pictures and description made it sound like a cream puff. Turns out on arrival, the pictures had been taken ten years earlier with a lot of hard bad use in between. St.

I remember a friend went to look at a boat he saw for sale on Craigslist. Pictures and description made it sound like a cream puff. Turns out on arrival, the pictures had been taken ten years earlier with a lot of hard bad use in between. St.

Definition: Boat - a hole in the water to pour money into.

The two happiest days of a boat owner: The day he bought the boat and the day he sold the boat.:blush

You could offer him a deal. Let you have a day or so to see if you can get it running. If you can, then make him an offer based on the asking price as a starting point. If you cannot get it running, then you can walk or make him a much lower offer.

Yes Paul

Yes, Paul, I know the feeling 100%. Did both. Loved the boat when I had it, surprisingly it didn't cost me a whole lot to keep it running good so the part about throwing money into it may be a bit harsh. Still, the happiest two days part is true.

Maybe when I can't get a leg over a bike, I will go back to a fishing boat but only if I don't have to tow it anywhere. The towing, launching, backing it in and out of my driveway/down the ramps, were the things that killed my love of boating. St.

While I do agree with the definition of BOAT (Bring Out Another Thousand), I wouldn't say the two days are the happiest by any means. My wife and I lived aboard and cruised our sailboat for 8 years -- the happiest days by far were those spent in the Bahamas and the Caribbean -- should sound pretty familiar to motorcycles and riding. Selling it certainly wasn't a happy day -- we'd bought a larger boat with (naturally) much larger problems -- and I still remember seeing our former, well-sorted sailboat motor effortlessly out of the harbor while I was trying to get a Yanmar running on our "new" boat.

But back on topic, if you want a project, projects can be rewarding, just don't expect dollars to make sense -- what you enjoy and what you like is the value. But yeah, no way I'd pay $2900 for a non-runner like that (assuming you asked for individual input...).

Biggest

The fastest way to throw money away is for an amateur to buy a "project" bike, with the intention of flipping it at the end of the restoration. While it can be done and money can be made, I have seen the majority of BMW flippers end up upside down at the end of the day. The ONLY three ways I would spend money now restoring a bike would be, one, it has sentimental value (which is why I spend way more money on my two airheads to keep running rather than scrap them). I am going to ride the bike to pieces and not sell it (again what is going on with my two bikes). And finally if the bike is a very rare example with a known high resale value.

In another post perhaps in another forum I told people at one time I toyed with restoring bikes only to find I could restore a bike to looking good but I could not bring myself to charge a top dollar because I KNEW, I was not a professional nor all that good of a mechanic. I could not in good conscience charge, and I will use the term loosely Concourse restoration price for my restoration yet, for me to make any kind of profit I would have to do so.

I love projects and I love working on my two bikes and perhaps if another bike came along I would restore it but, I am out of the game as far as selling. Right now, with the market and the riders of airheads aging out, more bikes will be coming on the market which won't need a lot of work to get on the road.

So, I write a bunch of stuff, the bottom line is what does the buyer want, and will the seller negotiate. The two things to remember to get a good deal. Enjoy the riding, for some of us, winter is around the corner. St.

Sail boat

LOL, you loved your sailboat because you didn't have to trailer it to and from the launch ramp, and back it int and out of your garage. Sorry you had the mechanical problems. I would love to try to live on a boat in that area. My wife wouldn't. Cheers, St.

LOL, you loved your sailboat because you didn't have to trailer it to and from the launch ramp, and back it int and out of your garage. Sorry you had the mechanical problems. I would love to try to live on a boat in that area. My wife wouldn't. Cheers, St.
off topic, but I have 2 boats, a 16.5 foot center console on a trailer and a 15 foot River Hawk on a ramp on my seawall. Guess which one I use?

Back