• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What kind of connection do you have?

What kind of connection do you have?

• I dunno. I surf at work. :dunno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a cable modem

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • I have DSL

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • I have dial up

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • I have a satellite connection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
wanderer said:
Having only had cable for less than a month, I'm not ashamed to flaunt it. I NOW feel dial up is like riding the Iron Butt on a Moped. :brow Sorry I just couldn't resist. :stick

For me, a persistent connection like DSL or cable allows the computer to act like a useful information appliance instead of a stand alone processing gizmo. Most of the information I want is out there in the web, not on my desktop and a high speed connection makes it easy to gather that information easily and quickly.

Some of the applications I'm required to use for work are web based, so I have to have a high speed connection to work.

I was fortunate to switch from dial up to cable modem about two years ago. Now the only problem I'm having is while shopping for a new house, I won't even look at it unless it has high-speed cable available. It'd be like going back to an R65 after riding a K1200 all year. I'm just not ready to slow down that much! :wave

JetDoc said:
I was fortunate to switch from dial up to cable modem about two years ago. Now the only problem I'm having is while shopping for a new house, I won't even look at it unless it has high-speed cable available. It'd be like going back to an R65 after riding a K1200 all year. I'm just not ready to slow down that much! :wave
That's exactly right. I had DSL for about 6 months before moving to a house far enough out in the sticks that there was no DSL, no cable... I paid a fortune to have meager 128kb ISDN service, but I just couldn't face dial up again.

I already dish out $620 a year for the full cable TV package to watch sub standard programming. I'll be damned to pay double that for cable TV and high-speed internet. Besides, as it stands now, I can't read as fast as my dial-up can download.

I've got better things to do with $620 extra dollars.

Interesting survey. I suspect that the results will be skewed in favor of DLS etc. because those of us who are limited to dial up don't have the patience to do much surfing.

Our local P.U.D. has been installing DSL lines around the county, but it's a considerable expense, and all the folks who aren't into computers are suspicious it's just a boondoggle. Due to the distances involved, it's questionable whether PUD will be able to get its investments back. And since they are trying to recoup their installation costs, they can't provide service at a reasonable price.

I work out of my home, so there is no "office" to use for communications. We have Dish Network, and I know I could get faster downloading via the antenna, but that doesn't solve my problem of uploading large files. I get by with burning CDs and mailing them by the US snail service.

So, as a computer user, I'm stuck in the "Honda 70" age. But as a motorcyclist I have lots of great roads to ride without having to spend time threading my way through city traffic to get there. And as a homeowner, I'm remote from cable lines, but that also means I have lots of clearance from neighbors. I could throw a rock in any direction, and wouldn't be able to hit anyone. I wouldn't mind having all this elbow room and DSL too, but my priority at this point in life is for elbow room.

pmdave :wave

pmdave said:
I work out of my home, so there is no "office" to use for communications. We have Dish Network, and I know I could get faster downloading via the antenna, but that doesn't solve my problem of uploading large files. I get by with burning CDs and mailing them by the US snail service.
When I started working in the computer biz, we used to joke that nothing has the bandwidth of a delivery truck full of mag tapes.

So, as a computer user, I'm stuck in the "Honda 70" age. But as a motorcyclist I have lots of great roads to ride without having to spend time threading my way through city traffic to get there. And as a homeowner, I'm remote from cable lines, but that also means I have lots of clearance from neighbors. I could throw a rock in any direction, and wouldn't be able to hit anyone. I wouldn't mind having all this elbow room and DSL too, but my priority at this point in life is for elbow room.
Well, I understand what you're saying completely. I guess I'm lucky to have line of sight to Mt. Loma Prieta (yes, that's the one lying over the epicenter of the 1989 World Series Quake), and therefore can get a radio link. You ought to see if there's someone providing this service in your area. You might be interested to know that rain has no effect on the bandwidth. ;-)

Slow Connection

I have cable modem. I generally look into 2 other BMW sites before logging on to the BMWMOA Forum. It's really slow compared to the other sites. Not only initially getting in, but also in accessing the different threads. Don't know what the problem is, but this site is much slower than others.

Cable Modem here...

I've got a cable modem for home use, and standard network/ethernet to probably some REALLY big pipes. It's pretty fast, but needs to be.

At home, I've set up a wireless network (very secure, by the way), which works great. I can sit in the family room in the recliner, laptop in hand, doing whatever I want. In the summer, I can sit outside on the deck, too, if I wish.

We're not sure. Sometimes, it crawls and other times, it flies. There doesn't seem to be any kind of correlation with the number of users or anything else either, which is leaving us a little mystified.

Back