• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is this?

lstamp

I bought my first BMW , a 2005 R1200RT in Oct 2014 and am spending my winter tidying up a few odds and ends. I found what looks to be a elec power distribution (block) system. It seems to me to to be non standard OEM. I am not sure how to use it if I can at all. Can anyone identify it, and if so, tell me what it is and how to use it. I suspect there were proprietary wiring plugs that might have run to accessories? I'll see if I can add a photo.
Lew
Mystery Item.JPG

Have a peek here- https://www.google.com/search?q=blu...TLYzjsATm4YGoBQ&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1391&bih=666
as it looks like one of the Blue Sea fuse blocks. From the picture it looks like a block for positive and a block for negative- you would just need to insert a "blade" type fuse to make the circuit live, if I have interpreted the pictures right. Not really a big fan of fusing the negative side but with a meter you should be able to confirm quite a bit.
OM

Blue Sea

Thanks. I suspected the blade fuse thing. But the negative was a puzzler. I am amazed given its marine pedigree you figured it out. Do you know, is negative fusing common in marine electronics. The bike came to me from coastal Florida. I think I am going to look for a new system. Any suggestions?
Lew

Didn't look at the Blue Sea page, wondering about switched vs. unswitched outputs? Yeah, fusing a ground????

Get a good multi meter and check every connecting point including the fuse sockets for +12v and then for ground. I suspect it was originally set up to have three constant-on circuits and three key-on-only circuits but only thorough testing will tell for sure.

It looks like the bike had a bunch of accessories that were on the bike but removed before sale/trade.

Last edited:
Thanks. I suspected the blade fuse thing. But the negative was a puzzler. I am amazed given its marine pedigree you figured it out. Do you know, is negative fusing common in marine electronics. The bike came to me from coastal Florida. I think I am going to look for a new system. Any suggestions?
Lew
:thumb
I'm not a fan of negative fusing when it comes to DC for a number of reasons but everyone has their own way. I am a fan of "home runs" to the battery terminals especially on anything running a system that may be like the BMW Can-Bus. I have found that it is easy for the Can-Bus to "pick up" a transient DC input/signal and appear to be running fine and not doing what it is supposed to do. I may not be correct on the Blue Sea but it's a good guess.
I like to use marine grade wire and connectors when I do a "specialty" wiring job as if is say Ancor, I know the quality. Once you do some poking around with a meter you will have a good idea what is what and I think that set-up will work. The biggest thing is to protect any live terminals from shorting out on other metal. The spade fuse connections can stay as they are but I would use dielectric grease on the blades to keep the possibility of corrosion down.
OM

Whats this fuse block for 2005 R1200rt

There was no cover to protect the terminal. That is a problem. Thanks all
Lew

Lew

Rowe electronics PDM 60

Fusing the negative side on a bike is not a good plan at all. The purpose of the fuse is not to protect the device in the circuit, it is to protect the wiring and the bike. If there is excess current draw the fuse will blow before the wiring can be damaged by heat or start a fire. Having the fuse on the negative side does nothing to protect against a short on the positive side of the circuit. The fuse should be in the circuit nearest the positive side of the battery. Alternatively, a master fuse or fused link can be used at the battery in the main power feed to a remote mounted fuse block which will then fuse the individual circuits. The main lead from the battery to the fuse block is then protected in case of a short.

I suspect that on a boat, fusing the negative side will work as they probably do not use a chassis grounding system like automotive and motorcycles.

I suspect that on a boat, fusing the negative side will work as they probably do not use a chassis grounding system like automotive and motorcycles.

Our fiberglass-hulled 40' Dufour sailboat had a negative buss bar (actually a cable) running fore and aft. Don't know if that is "common" practice or not.

Not Negative...

The link led me to a bunch of images. One of them showed clearly a section of fused connections on the positive lead from the battery. At the other end of the block, there was an area for connection to the negative lead. No indication that there was an intent to fuse the negative lead.

Boats do have grounding wires or straps around the hull - but they are for lightning strikes and corrosion protection (typically they are tied to a ground plate on the hull or a keel bolt), not grounding the electrical system. There's usually a system similar to cars for pos and neg wiring: fuses or breakers on the pos, a bus bar on the neg. with all the grounds tied to it.

Back