• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is that thingamajig?

glwestcott

Just finished servicing my 2100 R1100RT and can't find my Clymer's so thought I would ask a question of our esteemed group.

When you take the valve cover off on one of the heads, there is a plastic piece - about an inch or so wide, tall, and thick, that sits toward the forward lower end of the head. It apparently is just pushed into place.

My question - What the heck is it and what is it there for?

Just finished servicing my 2100 R1100RT and can't find my Clymer's so thought I would ask a question of our esteemed group.

When you take the valve cover off on one of the heads, there is a plastic piece - about an inch or so wide, tall, and thick, that sits toward the forward lower end of the head. It apparently is just pushed into place.

My question - What the heck is it and what is it there for?

vibration damper, keeps the valve cover from shaking around, i think

it's refered to as a "rubber buffer" in the parts fiche

Thanks, Bubba! I had noticed this thing before and wondered, but never took the time to look it up. Figured there would be someone here who would know. If I ever run into you on the road, remind you I owe you one of these - :beer

Thanks, Bubba! I had noticed this thing before and wondered, but never took the time to look it up. Figured there would be someone here who would know. If I ever run into you on the road, remind you I owe you one of these - :beer

haha, hold that thought, i'd hate to have one of the tech gurus come in here and tell you something different. i'm saying that based on what it seems to do. it has no oil passage ways, no moving components and seems to follow the curve of the head cover, so i'm taking a leap of faith and saying it acts to isolate the cover somewhat.

but if i'm right i'll still take that beer:thumb

Bubba is pretty much right. It reduces valve train noise, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything if it went missing.

Jim :brow

That's now two of them things :drink . 'Course it helps that were on opposite sides of the country! Although I will be in Jacksonville Beach, Florida for the blues festival April 6-8 this year. Won't be on my bike, but if you guys want to take a run south, I'll pay off. I'll be the bald guy that's had one too many...

Back