• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What do you carry in your tank bag?

E-ZPass transponder
air gauge
ear plugs - lots of foam and other types
money for other tolls
printed map sections to fit in clear top section of tank bag - I print these out prior to a trip showing the whole trip, in sections
spray cleaner and small cloth for face shield/glasses
snacks
I used to carry a bottle of water in tank bag but now use a half-gallon jug mounted in place of right passenger foot peg
small camera

Harry

SWMotec City Bag on my GS Adv

Main Compartment
  • Cell Phone/Pack Talk Charger/Powerpack & associated cables
  • Spare Gloves
  • Acetometiphen 500 MG
  • Tire Gauge
  • The Oil Filler Cap Gizmo
  • Registration/Insurance Card/
  • Rain Cover
  • Helmet Visor cleaning kit(All Kleer and two small microfiber towels)
  • Church Key
  • Pen
  • HiLiter
  • Multi-Tool
  • LED Light AAA
I can carry a 16 oz water bottle if needed

Left Side Pocket
  • Helmet/Jacket security cable and padlock

Right side pocket
  • Ear Plugs
  • Chapstick

Less is more as well.

I have carried less and less in my tank bags as well. Don't think I have used the expansion on either of the last two bags I've owned. Currently, I leave the registration and other papers in the right saddle bag. In the tank bag
-Change purse with money for tolls. Pocket for bills and change in the main part. Works great for tolls.
-Sare glasses
-Ibuprofen
-water
-Glass/shield cleaner
-Helmet Hook
-Lock and cable
-Medical Card
-Charge Cable
-Camera

Tank Bag Contents

I ride an R1250GS and usually have my Atacama soft luggage mounted so there's always an abundance of space but, none the less, I do usually travel with a tank bag because that's far more convenient to access for small stuff and water. In my case, I actually have two tank bags -- one small and one large -- and I will switch from one to the other depending on the trip or need. As for the common contents in each, it's much of the stuff listed here:

- ear plugs
- sunglasses
- multi-tool
- kickstand pad
- jack knife
- visor cleaner and microfiber towel
- water or energy drink

When I carry my large tank bag, it's usually because I want adequate capacity to tuck a long-sleeved compression shirt in that I might be wearing (as things warm up or cool down). The smaller one (or better yet none) is more convenient as it remains out of the way and doesn't obstruct the view to the instrument cluster.

Kent

I listened to an EMT a couple of years ago doing a presentation to a riding group and he strongly recommended that we carry our wallets and cell phones on ourselves in a jacket or pants pocket. Reason being if we are separated from our bikes for whatever reason (solo crash, accident with another vehicle or animal, medical condition, etc) if we can we have the cell phone we can use to call for help or if emergency personal come they can usually determine quicker who we are vs wondering where to find our identification. Now I always carry my wallet and cell phone in my jacket pockets.

I concur. Wallet/money/phone are in my jacket pocket and attached to me. The tank bag gets items I may need to access quickly, items like my rain gear, extra gloves go into there. Sometimes a camera. All are items that if they get stolen from the unsecured tank bag, I can replace on the road and continue with my journey.

Yes, my cell phone is in my jacket pocket. Still with original SE ... new one may be too large.

There's an IOS app called ICE ... in case of emergency, which I have on my cellphone. Contains contact information, medications, allergies, etc.

There are a few basics always in my tank bag: small cased notebook, pens, well-hidden spare key, Anonymous book, sunglasses/case, sidestand plate, hearing aid case, mini flashlight, comb, small essentials first aid kit.
I have stuffed more in for specific excursions, but what is listed above is what I have with me on the bike every time I roll down the drive.
There are also a few things I always keep in jacket pockets.

I carry a tank bag to have a mount for map holder.
A lot of rider buds do not but seem to hover over my big picture map when we stop:wave

As far as contents, it has power, so chargers, minor first-aid, a power bar or two, extra glasses and some minor tools including a Leatherman tool which same folks always like to borrow from. H’s bag has a bag of Skittles and lipstick :laugh

My 11S has a trunk for tire kit, hat and my keys... only bike w/ out a tank bag in our fleet

Yes, my cell phone is in my jacket pocket. Still with original SE ... new one may be too large.

There's an IOS app called ICE ... in case of emergency, which I have on my cellphone. Contains contact information, medications, allergies, etc.

The new SE ain't an SE...…...

I forgot to mention in my post, besides what I show in the picture I carry a camera in the bag and use a map holder that attaches to the top.

Not in my tank bag but hidden under my seat I carry a extra key and $100.00 cash

Nic, both of my bikes have the seat locked. I hope that if you should misplace your main key, you have access to the area under your seat. :dunno

In my case I keep flat spare keys, one per boot, under each boot's insole.

Route sheet, in transparent holder
Tire patch kit, pump and gauge
Side stand pad
Water bottle & energy bar
Microfiber cloth
Baseball cap - to deal with helmet head when off the bike
My 'girlfriend' Holga, who accompanies me everywhere (a very inexpensive Chinese medium format film camera)

Yeah, small waterproof camera that is attached to retractable wire so I can let go if need be like the time 2 guys were racing coming straight at me in my lane. Dude went around outside of me on my right and ended up clipping his buddy on the way back into his lane and put his car into a pond killing one of his passengers. If I had panicked and done the instinctive pull right I'd probably be dead now. But my camera was fine dangling by its leash.

And my Swiss Army knife that is only used for cutting vegetables.

Back