• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What do you carry in your tank bag?

ARMYMUTT

While sitting in my garage tonight I was contemplating packing for the rally. I realized that I had no idea what should go in my tank bag. Currently, it stores the lenses for my Clearwater lights when they are not in use and my ear plugs. On the road, my wallet goes into it. Ever since my meet up with a drunk driver shot my old one down the road, my cell phone in it's carrier goes inside with the power cable charging it as I go. That leaves a whole lot of space.

I admit that I am odd man out on this topic. When we travel my clothes go in my tank bag. Plus odds and ends in the two side pockets: knife, flashlight, bottle opener, Leatherman tool, etc. But the main compartment is my clothing. I have some additional clothes I stash with camping gear but everything I need in the motel or the tent clothing wise travels in the tank bag.

When I first started traveling by motorcycle in the 70s the only "luggage" I had was a tank bag. Old habits die hard and it has worked for almost 50 years.

I carry much less than I used to. I used to fill a large tank bag, but these days I half fill a small one. I had stuff in it that I had not used for years and stuff I needed but forgot I had. What I carry now that I can recall: 800mg ibuprofen, mini flashlight, multi-tool, case for glasses, ProMach tool, ear plugs, rain cover, spare batteries for our fobs and cover for GPS mount. All I can recall for now.

I have a smallish tank bag. In the left side pocket I have a small flash light, a side stand disc. I the right side pocket is the tank bag rain cover. In the center compartment I have my leatherman , windshield and face shield cleaning cloths, pen, tire pressure gauge, sun screen, asprin, real maps as needed, some snack (cashews), camera and often wallet and cell phone plus any other garbage I might wish. and a sandwich bag to put over the GPS in heavy rain

Back in the day, I had the massive tank bag, then a 10L expandable (that I never expanded) and now a 8L bag. Spare gloves, hat, the garage remote, ROK straps, bungie net, maglite, pocket knife, Rocky Design tire tool, toll change and a map

LupinBlue's comment reminded....a few Clif bars. Typically, aged past perfection

Last edited:
I use a small tank bag. Wallet, cell phone, eye glasses, gloves, earbuds. Sometimes I shove a water bottle in it too, but I can't zip it shut. I ride and RT so I have panniers and a top case to carry clothing.

Wallet and Cell Phone

I listened to an EMT a couple of years ago doing a presentation to a riding group and he strongly recommended that we carry our wallets and cell phones on ourselves in a jacket or pants pocket. Reason being if we are separated from our bikes for whatever reason (solo crash, accident with another vehicle or animal, medical condition, etc) if we can we have the cell phone we can use to call for help or if emergency personal come they can usually determine quicker who we are vs wondering where to find our identification. Now I always carry my wallet and cell phone in my jacket pockets.

Main compartment: Sunglasses, reading glasses, a small portfolio with legal docs like insurance card and registration, small flashlight, sundries, lip balm. And a bag of Werther's Original.
Side pocket: Sharpie marker, emergency device battery. Side stand foot thingy for soft pavement.

Agree with Darrell. Cell phone, wallet and inReach communicator, as well as medical card stay on my person.

Joe

I listened to an EMT a couple of years ago doing a presentation to a riding group and he strongly recommended that we carry our wallets and cell phones on ourselves in a jacket or pants pocket. Reason being if we are separated from our bikes for whatever reason (solo crash, accident with another vehicle or animal, medical condition, etc) if we can we have the cell phone we can use to call for help or if emergency personal come they can usually determine quicker who we are vs wondering where to find our identification. Now I always carry my wallet and cell phone in my jacket pockets.

Yup. I practice this religiously. Wallet and cell phone always on my person, not on bike.:thumb

Multi-tool, bug spray, eye-glass/shield cleaner, microfiber cloth, charger cables, phone battery power-pak, helmet carabiner/lock, kickstand pad, minor first aid (band aids and anti-bacterial), tube of hand lotion (to grease my hard ear-plugs pre-insertion lol), bear repellent- (till the Canadian border official confiscated it as a concealed weapon- a-hole idiot), pills (advil, zinc/potassium, ibuprofen), nicotine pouches, sunglasses, map in cover of bag, pen/note-pad,

Interesting. Seems like, if there is a trend here, it is for tank bags to be smaller and to carry less stuff as the rider gains experience (ages?) and accumulates miles. In my case that is certainly true. Twenty years ago I had a large, expandable tank bag that got smaller as the years/trips went by. Today I do not even own a tank bag. My two or three most recent trips (about a week long each) have been sans tank bag. Plus, my saddlebags/panniers have gotten smaller and less jammed with stuff. Now I mostly use only a small waterproof duffle bungeed across the rear seat.

I wonder what this says about old men and their stuff?

I'm running a Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag which I love and run on multiple bikes. https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-tank-bags/products/nomad-tank-bag

I used to run a smaller Wolfman Enduro but I really like the Nomad. They did a lot of research and planning to come up with the design which is totally unique to anything else out there.
IMG_3662-L.jpg

I carry charging stuff, multi tool. A side stand pad, sunglasses, reading glasses. Lens cleaning stuff, ear plugs, headlamp. Usually some snacks in there. A few other sundries. My iPad will fit in but then it's just too much. Like the post before mine I see tire gauge etc and a couple of pens that go in mine. I have the same pump but on this bike it lives in one of the rally boxes on the bike.

Same I generally carry my cell phone on my person. Wallet and passports on my person 100% of the time. I have 2 SPOT trackers, one I leave on my bike and one that is always on me.

I have a small to medium tank bag that is easy to remove and take with you - least others take it with them. Carry small essentials. You won't have room for a lot. Only you can decide what is essential.

E.

Last edited:
Geez, I have ...

Jumper cables
Tow strap
Tire air pump
Stop n Go kit
Spare bulb kit
Cruz tool rear wheel TORX wrench
Sidestand plate
2 D-cell Maglite
Case for non riding eyeglasses
Baseball cap
Room for removing clothing layers as temp rises
Anonymous book
Heated clothing controller
Baggie with sunscreen, ibuprofen, eye drops, etc.
First Aid kit

I used to carry tent peg hammer, but no longer tenting

A little less on R1100S

Last edited:
First aid kit
Toilet roll
Tire gauge
Glasses
Toolkit
Balaclava
Earplugs and spares
Eyeglass cleaner (good for faceshield)
Lock de-icer ( I use it to clean the contacts on the Nav V)
Webbbing loops (for attaching tie downs on the ferry)
Energy bar
Water
Sunblock
Spare meds
Plus:
Tire pump and plug kit, survival kit in tail bag

Medication
glasses
chargers
CamelBak
small kit (sunscreen, Blistex, wipes)
5 Hour energy
snacks
extra clips :)
I carry my cell phone on a mount on my bike. I put an old iPhone in my pocket with no SIM card. It can still dial 911 in an emergency.

The Nomad has a pocket on the bottom for a water bladder. I found this to be extremely handy on my last tour on my R65. I hate wearing backpacks while riding and will only go as far as a camelback on shorter dirt rides.

The Nomad has a pocket on the bottom for a water bladder. I found this to be extremely handy on my last tour on my R65. I hate wearing backpacks while riding and will only go as far as a camelback on shorter dirt rides.

I just ordered a Nomad and a Hood. I think I'll like the Nomad more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back