• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What A Surprise Hit!

Paul_F

RK Ryder
The ABS lights have lately been indicating that it was time for a new Odyessey battery. My records showed it was five years old and the price with tax had been $193.00 Cdn. Showed up at the same supplier yesterday and discovered the new price was $385 Cdn, before tax! Noticing my shock, he gave me the business card of a competitor who sold me the Odyessey for only $325, with tax.

I know we are in inflationary times but WOW!

Wonder what other surprises await. :)

Amazon charged me $115 USD for my Odyssey PC680, January 2012. (Still starts strong)

Amazon offers it today at $136.65, list price $152.04.

Many other vendors offer it in the $125-$150 range.

Google says 1 United States Dollar currently equals 1.30 Canadian Dollar.

The previous Odyssey in my K lasted seven years. :thumb

I did check the web and Amazon.ca but the prices were similar. Next week I'll be making a 2000 km trip to Winnipeg and having no desire to be stranded in northern Ontario, l bought the battery.:cry

Amazon charged me $115 USD for my Odyssey PC680, January 2012. (Still starts strong)

Just bought one for my bike at Autozone off the shelf for 190 USD or so. I think a lot of vendors are gouging where possible in the smoke screen of overall inflation :)

$385 or roughly $300 US dollars for a battery? Does the seller perform other "favors" for you too for that price?

I bought a battery for my RT a year ago for $110 US dollars, I looked and the same vendor has them for under $150 today.

Haven’t gotten around to installing the new battery yet. I have some faint thought of having to do something with the throttle after installing a new battery. If there is something to be done after the install on a Oilhead, and if so, what exactly is it?

Not all oilheads are created equal in this regard. The R1100 with the Motronic 2.2 doesn't need any throttle recalibration after battery disconnect. The R1150 with its Motronic 2.4, OTOH, should have the TPS relearn procedure done. Key on (but don't start), run throttle to wide open then back to closed, then repeat, then key off.

Even without doing this, the Motronic will eventually learn the throttle end points. This just speeds up the process.

Not all oilheads are created equal in this regard. The R1100 with the Motronic 2.2 doesn't need any throttle recalibration after battery disconnect. The R1150 with its Motronic 2.4, OTOH, should have the TPS relearn procedure done. Key on (but don't start), run throttle to wide open then back to closed, then repeat, then key off.

Even without doing this, the Motronic will eventually learn the throttle end points. This just speeds up the process.

Thank you Roger. :thumb

Paul

Back