• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

We Finally Made theBig Time. Travel Ban

PGlaves

Due to multiple inches of snow, hurricane force winds, and blizzard conditions we finally made the big time. The Governor of Rhode Island has temporarily banned travel by motorcycle, to wit:

""I am implementing a travel ban for motor vehicles on the State’s roadways from 8 AM — 8 PM and a travel ban for all tractor-trailers and motorcycles, except those carrying emergency supplies, 6 AM — 11:59 PM Saturday 1/29," Dan McKee, the governor of Rhode Island, said in a tweet Saturday."

Would a six pack be considered an emergency supply? I certainly think so.

Always reassuring to see a deep thinker in a lofty elected office.

RI is special. You would know if you tried to negotiate Route 1. At least the dreaded “motorcycles must carry chains” edict wasn’t implemented.
Taxachusetts was just keeping tractor-trailers off the road for the period, ending at 06:00 today. Most areas received around 2 feet of fluffy snow.
OM

Wow there wasn't a ban when I was stationed in Newport when we got 36" of snow during a Nor'easter. Sometime in '03-'06. Rhode Ilanders must've gotten soft since then!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Due to multiple inches of snow, hurricane force winds, and blizzard conditions we finally made the big time. The Governor of Rhode Island has temporarily banned travel by motorcycle, to wit:

""I am implementing a travel ban for motor vehicles on the State’s roadways from 8 AM — 8 PM and a travel ban for all tractor-trailers and motorcycles, except those carrying emergency supplies, 6 AM — 11:59 PM Saturday 1/29," Dan McKee, the governor of Rhode Island, said in a tweet Saturday."

I see you read the Babylon Bee too. Gotta be...please....

Emergency services are taxed to the max right now. He is trying to keep folks off the road. Hospitals already have too many people due to Covid. If you have common sense, use it.

Get in an accident now, and you will wait a while for help. When you get to the emergency room you may not get in for a while.

E.

Last edited:
If I read this correctly he's saying you are only allowed to ride your motorcycle in this blizzard between the hours of midnight and 6:00am. Good to know. Bundle up, folks! :D

I remember one of the RI television station reporters was reporting on a motorcycle accident. While the report could well have been scripted, they thought the fact that the motorcycle rider was not wearing their seatbelt was important to mention. :hungover
OM

I remember one of the RI television station reporters was reporting on a motorcycle accident. While the report could well have been scripted, they thought the fact that the motorcycle rider was not wearing their seatbelt was important to mention. :hungover
OM

I bet she had a nice smile though. :banghead

Emergency services are taxed to the max right now. He is trying to keep folks off the road. Hospitals already have too many people due to Covid. If you have common sense, use it.

Get in an accident now, and you will wait a while for help. When you get to the emergency room you may not get in for a while.

E.

Could be. :dunno

I suspect it’s due to a tractor-trailers real possibility of jack-knifing and stopping up the road setting road clearing operations way back. Most of the time it takes a fair sized wrecker to straighten out a TT once the tractor goes past 180 degrees. This makes the road closed for at least two hours……with traffic and snow piling up.
Motorcycles can usually squeeze through :ha
OM

Did you just look at any bridge and figured thats how you get to Rhode Island?

I never said Newport wasn't in Rhode Island! You answered a question asking if one needed a boat or to cross a bridge to get to RI. And you responded with the Pell bridge, which made it sound like you need to cross that to get to RI.

BTW, Newport isn't the only town on Aquidneck Island and there are 2 other bridges accessing it. You also need to cross Jamestown Island before getting to the Pell bridge.

Did you just look at any bridge and figured thats how you get to Rhode Island?

I never said Newport wasn't in Rhode Island! You answered a question asking if one needed a boat or to cross a bridge to get to RI. And you responded with the Pell bridge, which made it sound like you need to cross that to get to RI.

BTW, Newport isn't the only town on Aquidneck Island and there are 2 other bridges accessing it. You also need to cross Jamestown Island before getting to the Pell bridge.

I did a couple years of bodyguard work during the summers for clients on mansion row off Belvue Ave.. Spent a lot of time on vessels in Newport Harbor at times when they'd hold parties on their yachts.

"That is not a bridge to Rhode Island" == ah yes, it's a bridge that takes you to Newport, RI actually os it is a bridge to RI, Newport, RI to be precise. How you read my post is irrelevant. :dunno

Back