• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vintage here I come

R

RandallIsland

I've been dying to post over here. I thought I'd have to wait a few more years with my '85 K100, but that was until tonight...

The word on the street is that there's a low mileage 1970 BMW, you know "...the one with the cylinder heads that stick out the side" up for sale.
I'm going there this weekend to take a look.

So a few questions:

a) What kind, exactly, are you willing to guess and wager, absolutely nothing, is it?

b) When they say "it won't turn over" does it make you cringe or grin?

c) What should I be looking for as good signs?

d) What would make you think twice before even becoming involved?

e) I'm already planning on the first ever to me BMW cafe bike. What to look for?
:lurk :lurk :lurk

1970 would have to be an early /5 short swingarm version. Maybe a toaster tank? Those are valued thou smaller than the blank tank, esp. if it still has the side panels which were also chromed to match the tank.

won't turn over? as in wouldn't start? dead battery or bad starter? or engine does not budge when you push on the kicker as in frozen engine, which could be bad news and lots of time and money since you won't be able to tell why its stuck.

On the other hand, if the engine is not frozen I look at other things like rust, condition of interior of gas tank, is it complete, i.e. lights turn signals, side panels (triangular panels below the seat that hide the battery) front end not bent. etc. general condition.
When I got my last /5 in 99 it didn't turn over as in just didn't start, but the engine was not frozen and it didn't phase me after seeing that it was complete and in fairly good shape for having sat. I replaced points, plugs, plug wires, condenser, and cleaned up the carbs inside and out and she fired right up.
obviously you take a certain risk with these ventures but the rewards are worth it once you ride it. its a piece of history and you will always get folks coming up and talking, its like riding a conversation piece! Hope it works out and if so, post pics.

RM

A toaster?! You really think so?!
God Bunny!
I'm so figgin' exited at this prospect!
You should see me .. all twisted up like a little school girl in her first big crush. :dance

A toaster?! You really think so?!
God Bunny!
I'm so figgin' exited at this prospect!
You should see me .. all twisted up like a little school girl in her first big crush. :dance

I said "COULD" be, they came out with both model tanks then but I think they dropped the toaster in 72?

I had a toaster for my first BMW, its the one i posted with the picture of me and my then GF (one of the very few lady riders at the time, BMW no less!) back in the mid 70's.

RM

And until you spell my name right I get two! :stick

This is a great link! ... Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! :thumb

I done been properly whipped! :lol;

I should have looked there as i am a member, even though I don't have my /5 any more. And say since you are in NY you should come to the Festival of Fives I put on in June (13-15) at Seneca Rocks WV. There are knowledgeable folks who show up and some really sweet /5's, usually we have one of each of the colors they come in over the years they were made, we could show you tons of stuff on maintenence items. These bikes are a breeze to work on.

heres links to info on it

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=22944&highlight=Fof

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=5888&highlight=Fof

and a bike lift, /5 style ( I just love this shot!)

Bike%2520Lift.jpg

now answer me this. how many ribs on the stock /5 front slider gatters 11 or 13? :lol

when you know that answer you are true /5 airhead!:dance

RM

The only thing that would throw me off of a deal like that would be the price. If it doesn't turn over the price couldn't be too high, right? The most common cause of a stuck motor is extended exposure to the elements allowing a carb to fill with water and eventually a piston ring getting rusty in a bore. If this be the case, it is difficult, but not impossible to get it freed up. The carb will be ruined, and you might need a cylinder barrel and associated parts and gaskets. Keep that in mind and go steal that bike. ;)

if it wont turn over, I wouldn't pay more than that of a parts bike.
If it isn't a runner and won't tun over you have to assume the worst.

The most common cause of a stuck motor is extended exposure to the elements allowing a carb to fill with water and eventually a piston ring getting rusty in a bore. If this be the case, it is difficult, but not impossible to get it freed up.

I'll post pics when I see it, for sure, but to my knowledge it's been sitting in a basement (granted a NY higher humidity one) for the past 30 years. So in terms of elements, we'll just have to see, I think. But it has had a roof over its head.
Where's the prayer icon?

ribs

I done been properly whipped! :lol;

I should have looked there as i am a member, even though I don't have my /5 any more. And say since you are in NY you should come to the Festival of Fives I put on in June (13-15) at Seneca Rocks WV. There are knowledgeable folks who show up and some really sweet /5's, usually we have one of each of the colors they come in over the years they were made, we could show you tons of stuff on maintenence items. These bikes are a breeze to work on.

heres links to info on it

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=22944&highlight=Fof

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=5888&highlight=Fof

and a bike lift, /5 style ( I just love this shot!)

Bike%2520Lift.jpg

now answer me this. how many ribs on the stock /5 front slider gatters 11 or 13? :lol

when you know that answer you are true /5 airhead!:dance

RM

Friedle

There it went...

_xy-1416331_1

_xy-1416332_1

_xy-1416333_1

The bike was pristine for its age. Note the year on the inspection sticker.

Unfortunately though, the asking price was realistically off by a complete digit in the guys head, so I declined to spend 10 Gs this morning on it. :violin

If anyone is interested though, he'll be happy to soak up your cash.

10 G's??? Man that guy must be nuts! and that's no 1970 as we found out since it has a toaster tank. And maybe its just the angle the shot was taken but it looks to me like the front wheel is turned more than the normal stop, so maybe the stop tab is broken off which would lead me to think it could have been in an accident? Just guessing here but it does look odd.

RM

Man, that is 2X the price of a perfectly functioning, low mileage toaster, and 10 X the price of a neglected, won't turn over toaster, but it is only 3X the sum of the parts. Did you step on the kick starter?, is the motor really stuck? Cool bike, but there is at least a thousand dollars to make it right. And, the fact that it is a 600 doesn't help. The seller is dreaming. Fear not, it will still be available after he has run it through e-bay 3 or 4 times.

10 G's??? Man that guy must be nuts! and that's no 1970 as we found out since it has a toaster tank. And maybe its just the angle the shot was taken but it looks to me like the front wheel is turned more than the normal stop, so maybe the stop tab is broken off which would lead me to think it could have been in an accident? Just guessing here but it does look odd.

RM

It was produced in 1972. Friedle was with me, riding his own 1970 BTW, and he too was amazed at the good condition of the bike. We tried the kickstarter though, and it was indeed not turning over, so condition or otherwise this is a project bike. I think the angle of the steering column might just be an optical illusion. There was no evidence anywhere of it being wrecked. He still said he had the original tool kit, and with the front turn signals in the saddlebag, I tend to believe this bike is no lemon. I should have shot the odometer: it read 5000-6000. Come to think of it, I should have shot more, but at the point I thought it was going in the pickup truck.
Alas...

I'll just keep looking. :thumb

Back