• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Vibration between 40 and 50 mph on 2014 1200GS

DMacNeil23

DMacNeil23
I have a 2014 BMW 1200GS with around 14000 miles. The bike has been great in every condition. However, I have a vibration - kind a vroom sound which I feel in the back of the bike. It mostly happens between 40 and 50 mph and I can feel it mostly with the clutch in and coasting. I can feel it under power but not all the time. The vibration happens for a couple of seconds intermittently. The local shop hasn't had any great ideas. Any suggestions?

More data:
Anakee 3's front and back, balanced with proper inflation
Rear brake pads replaced at 12000 miles - Seemed odd, I don't ride the rear brake
Sensation happens in cold and warm weather
Seems more pronounced when coasting down a hill
The bike is completely standard. No mods.
Again this vibration is intermittent

What do you think? Anyone else have this

Welcome to the forum! Click and Clack would ask you to make the sound if you were on the radio! :) Hopefully some of the two-wheeled gurus will be along to help out.

Intermittent. Well that rules out your Anakee's, I would think. Only thing left then is somewhere in the driveline / universal joints / FD bearings.....

I have a 2014 BMW 1200GS with around 14000 miles. The bike has been great in every condition. However, I have a vibration - kind a vroom sound which I feel in the back of the bike. It mostly happens between 40 and 50 mph and I can feel it mostly with the clutch in and coasting. I can feel it under power but not all the time. The vibration happens for a couple of seconds intermittently. The local shop hasn't had any great ideas. Any suggestions?

More data:
Anakee 3's front and back, balanced with proper inflation
Rear brake pads replaced at 12000 miles - Seemed odd, I don't ride the rear brake
Sensation happens in cold and warm weather
Seems more pronounced when coasting down a hill
The bike is completely standard. No mods.
Again this vibration is intermittent

What do you think? Anyone else have this
So you hear the vibration or feel the vibration or both?

Do I hear or feel the vibration

Excellent question. I feel the vibration. I wear a Schuberth full face so I may not catch the sound. Will experiment with another helmet.

Also, I checked to see if the kickstand or center stand or any other parts were loose and could cause an intermittent vibration. Nothing seems to be out of order. Also, took off my Varios to see if that could be the issue. Not change.

I am inclined to think it is in the final drive. Definitely feel the vibration in the back of the bike. Tried a variety of gears 3rd 4th and 5th and still felt the vroom occassionally.

Incidentally, this has been going on for 4000 miles! Apparently not a fatal issue.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Don't necessarily rule out a tire. A tire can be perfectly balanced and still cause an intermittent vibration or a vibration at a certain speed. That tire could have excessive road force causing this. You can balance a square but that doesn't mean it will roll smooth. That tire may be out of round or have a spot in the sidewall that is softer/stiffer than the rest of the tire.

Perhaps you could run the rear tire at 45psi and then at say 35psi to see if there's any difference in the vibration you feel - might rule out/in the tire itself.

My belief is you have a driveshaft Universal joint problem. Your dealer ought to be more proactive in checking this. It seems not to vibrate when loaded but to vibrate some when coasting, and even more when the wheel is driving the engine. This screams universal joint to me.

Air pressure Adjustments

Interesting suggestion. The problem seemed to start when the dealer "balanced" the tire and wheel.

I will make the air pressure adjustments and see what may be up.

I am planning a trip in May to the Appalachians in which I will go approximately 3400 miles. I don't want to have any uncertainty. The trip will trigger my 18000 mile service check and the Anakee on the rear won't make the entire trip. What suggestions do you guys have for mid trip visits for your service checks? Do you try to find a local dealer and make a stop or go over the mileage? I am inclined to find a local dealer in Atlanta.

Don

I had a similar situation with new tires on my old weeStrom. The noise went away once the sharp edges on the tread were worn off. Still under warranty? Wait a while...

Any time a problem/sound/vibration/misfire, ( insert problem here ) happens after a service, tire replacement, or just general maintenance, there is a good chance something was done during the event that is the source! From something as innocent as knocking off a vacuum line while fitting an air filter, to not installing a wheel spacer correctly and so on. Tires for instance can act differently at the same speed on different road surfaces. Is your GS a wire wheel model? I would check that the spokes are all tight. Carefully inspect the tire for feathering and cupping. Don't automatically assume it is in the rear of the bike.

Same thing happened to me when my 2015 RT had around 3000 miles. First I thought it was the final drive. I ruled that one out after doing some tests and then shifted the attention to the rear shock. Took it to the dealer and after various attempts they were able to feel it because as you said it was intermittent. They said it was the rear shock. I took it back home for a weekend ride while they told me they were investigating with the headquarters in Germany because they were clueless. For some reason the problem disappeared during that weekend. I called them back on Monday to let them know and they told me that they were ready to replace the shock.
Ha! I said that I would let them know if it happened again. I am 10k miles now and hasn't come back. Weird.

Dave

Final Drive or Universal

My belief is you have a driveshaft Universal joint problem. Your dealer ought to be more proactive in checking this. It seems not to vibrate when loaded but to vibrate some when coasting, and even more when the wheel is driving the engine. This screams universal joint to me.

So the problem finally got much worse. Very strong and disturbing vibration when I let off the throttle while going above 40 mph. Also, horrible clunking sound from rear end when the bike was coasting slowly with clutch engaged. Took the bike in to the dealer Friday. They will be inspecting the final drive and universal joint.

Taking it in made me pucker up a little. The trip is a 15 mile freeway drive. Had visions of a failed universal while riding on the freeway.

More soon!

It's not the final drive

The BMW mechanic checked out the final drive and u-joints. Nothing.

I want to take these guys on a two up spin and let them feel the vibration. It's distinct and disturbing

Asked the shop to check the rear shock.

Really don't want this problem to cause a failure while tooling around west Texas or at highway speeds.

The BMW mechanic checked out the final drive and u-joints. Nothing.

I want to take these guys on a two up spin and let them feel the vibration. It's distinct and disturbing

Asked the shop to check the rear shock.

Really don't want this problem to cause a failure while tooling around west Texas or at highway speeds.

I actually had the mechanic and salesperson ride it and they say it's normal

Back