• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

V-Strom to BMW conversions!

I'll change the topic a bit to "Who has a V Strom and also has a BMW". I bought a V strom after owning my first RT. Actually we have had 3 of them. I will say the DL 650 has the best powerplant in that category. The first generation 1000 had some issues that kept it from being what it should have been. The 2014 and up DL 1000 has solved most of those issues. Either size V Strom can be comfortable for 800+ mile days. Actually the ergonomics are better on the v Strom than the RT for me. Both V Stroms have less vibration than the RT's. V Stroms are do everything bikes that are easy to maintain, reliable, have anything you want in farkles, and a great value.

But, they are what they are. They lack certain things that you get when you pay the price for a BMW RT ( or GS ). Obviously it seems unfair to compare a V Strom to an RT for comfort in many ways, the RT has so much better wind protection to start with. The brakes, suspension are where the BMW makes the V Strom seem cheap. Add in the electronic wizardry, factory luggage, etc and the RT becomes the better travel bike. My 2012 DL 650 isn't getting many miles now that the new RT is in the garage. But it still is more fun to ride on back roads, rough roads, and for exploring whatever road you want to turn onto. YOu could also say that about a GS, but I won't pay 20+ thousand dollars for a bike to beat around off pavement. That is where the all around value of the V Strom comes from, good enough to be competent, cheap enough to not care as much about.

I was shopping for an F650 in 2012, and fell hard for the 2012 Vstrom Adventure. The F650 was $11K+ without bags, etc. Bought the V-Strom Adv for $9500 complete with bags, windscreen, engine guards, and luggage rack.... Still have the BMW R12GS, and have since traded a DR 650 and an R1100RTP for and F800GS (no accessories). Like them all!!!!

I have both:

2000 650 V Strom
1994 K75
1995 K75RTP
2003 R1150R
2001 F650 - bad engine not fixed yet.

About a year after the engine in the F650 seized I stumbled upon the V Strom when its owner called trying to sell Voni a pickup truck. His price was about 1/3 what a comparable F650 would have been so I bought it. I like it. Everybody thinks it's Voni's due to it its color. :) I rode one in New Zealand a few years ago and so I was at least a bit familiar with what I was buying. The 650 V Strom's big negative compared to an F650 single is fuel mileage. It gets 40-42 most of the time. My F650 got 50-55. Not a big deal banging around locally but it adds up on a month or two long trip.

Last edited:
I did. I first had an SV650, then a DL650 and then upgraded to the liter strom. I had that bike for 4 years and then moved over to a GS. The stroms were nice bikes, but the GS was better. I wouldn't go back. The new DL-1000's look okay, but on closer inspection appear to be cheaply made and turned me off. Now I have a 2016 GSW and love it. :thumb

I made the move from a 07 VStrom 1000 to a 09 BMW GS1200 several years ago. The VStrom was a great all around bike, never a problem. I found the GS to be a bit more stable and brake much better...especially two up. "Personally"....I feel BMW really steps up their game when it comes to the overall build quality of the RT and the GS1200's. I haven't looked around very much at the new bikes that are offered today, although a Triumph 800 Tiger did catch my eye back in the spring. I was impressed with the bike, just not the way it rode. I ended up upgrading from my 09 GS to a 13 GSW.

The Lexus is built better, handles about the same, has a much better interior, and costs much less to maintain. Items 1 and 4 are related. Items 2 and 3 are subjective. Personal experience on both brands. I guess My Mileage Did Vary. :laugh

Sorry for the derail....

Since you can't (really) get a manual transmission in a Bimmer anymore..........you're right. Might as well go for the one with the best reliability.

I made the move from a 07 VStrom 1000 to a 09 BMW GS1200 several years ago. The VStrom was a great all around bike, never a problem. I found the GS to be a bit more stable and brake much better...especially two up. "Personally"....I feel BMW really steps up their game when it comes to the overall build quality of the RT and the GS1200's. I haven't looked around very much at the new bikes that are offered today, although a Triumph 800 Tiger did catch my eye back in the spring. I was impressed with the bike, just not the way it rode. I ended up upgrading from my 09 GS to a 13 GSW.
Welcome to the forum!
Any questions, just ask.
Gary

I went the opposite direction. I have a R12RT and bought a DL650 to replace it. First ride on the DL and it was clear, it isn't a BMW. That isn't a slam against the DL. I can get it serviced anywhere, less expensive to maintain and it didn't cost nearly as much as the RT. It also doesn't have the ride, protection or confidence inspiring characteristics of the RT.

It could be my only motorcycle if I really only wanted one. But, I kept the RT and now I get the stink eye from the wife since I started parking the DL on her side of the garage.

I had a 2008 DL1000 and made the move to a 2011 RT. Biggest reasons for the switch were the desire for the creature comforts on the RT, and the brakes. The brakes on the VStrom were terrible, at least for me. Pressing the rear pedal on the strom was typically nothing....nothing....nothing....LOCK. Kept you on your toes. Comfort and maintenance wise though, it was a great bike and the torque from that engine was great. The RT was just better all around and with a barn door windshield, I was enveloped in total silence when riding.

However, the draw to explore the unpaved path made me switch to a 2014 GSA. I did test out a number of other bikes but still wanted the BMW creature comforts and the GSA has about 70% of the wind protection of the RT. Was very happy with both bike moves.

2012 V-Strom 650 --> 2013 1200 GSW

My first bike was a 2012 V-Strom 650 and rode it for about a year. Had about 3000 miles on it and picked it up for about $5600.00 dollars used. The V-Strom was a great bike and loved riding it and would recommend it to anyone thinking about getting one.

One of the main reasons I made the jump to the GS was I wanted to add basically all the goodies that the GS already had (Center stand, heated grips, GPS, cruise control, three hard cases and rack system to hold cases, crash bars, TPMS and ESA, shift assisted, etc...) if I tried to add all this to the V-Strom it would basically increase the cost of the bike so much that I would be getting close to the cost of the GS which I paid $16,500 for used with 12,000 miles and still would be missing some additional things that the GS has. Plus I really enjoy having 1200 cc instead of 650, I got to say when you crack open the GS oh man does it go...... :)

I do miss the weigh difference but it really isn't that much of a big deal for me, once I get moving don't notice the weight as much. Also I am 6 feet 4 inches so flat footing either bike was never an issue.

Last edited:
I am a fairly new rider, and a 14 DL650 was my first non trail bike. After a year and a half moved to a 15 RT for creature comforts and no chain, and an appreciation for the engineering in the RT. So far so good other than the right side mirror glass falling off at mile 169. No complaints on the VSTROM, and no troubles at all with it while I had it.

Back