• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Twenty Years Ago, Today

JIMSHAW

Ambassador at Large
Twenty years ago, something changed that was more pivotal than most of us remember. Those of us who cling to the German motorcycles may have felt this just a little more strongly. About this date, the Berlin Wall began to come down. The foundations of a regime that was so corrupt that it had to wall in its citizens, finally crumbled so badly that the wall could not sustain itself. Pressures of human concern and spirit joined against the constraints of bad government to bring down the wall, both figuratively and actually. The world hasnÔÇÖt been the same.

By an accident of fate, I was in Berlin during this period. Over five hundred engineers and management of the worldÔÇÖs airlines gathered in West Berlin for our yearly meeting to solve problems of aircraft avionics. None of us suspected weÔÇÖd be watching, just outside our hotel and conference rooms, the death throes of a terminal regime. Yet, here we were.

To give just one experience of the fear and repression on the other side of that wall, I cite a little tale of a very real experience. For several years, one of my projects was advanced test gear for JAT, the Yugoslavian air carrier. I had made many visits to Belgrade, completed the contract, and the equipment exceeded JATÔÇÖs expectations. I had befriended several engineers at the airline. I had been vetted by YugoslaviaÔÇÖs equivalent of the KGB, as being sufficiently neutral in the project to be trusted. I often entertained the management and engineering staff in their city, and they, me. Certain of them seemed to have prophetic understanding of just how valuable it might be to have a friend in the West.

As a welcoming part of the conference in (then) West Berlin, the City invited all five hundred of us to a huge reception in a great stone palace. The Champagne and Riesling flowed and the hors dÔÇÖoeuvres were excellent. There was an air of expectancy, because of political rumblings from the East. I socialized with many friends there, but the two Yugoslavians seemed attached to me. The Mayor of West Berlin addressed us in English, the language of aviation. In the middle of his oration, I looked around for my Serbian and Croatian companions, but they had disappeared. I saw them standing in the shadow of an exit portal looking positively ashen. I walked over to them, and asked what was going on?

The fear in their eyes was intense. WhatÔÇÖs the deal? ItÔÇÖs just a speech. One of them spoke softly, so as not to be heard but by his companion and me: ÔÇ£You donÔÇÖt fully understand, Jim, what it means to live and work in Yugoslavia,ÔÇØ he said. ÔÇ£If someone were to see us here when such things are being said, if someone just saw our photograph here for this event, our lives and our careers would be ruined. Forever.ÔÇØ

It is too easy for westerners to not understand this, to not feel their terror. It has taken me years to try to embrace it. Sure, I knew my every move was watched when I was in Yugoslavia. I knew, because these guys confided it, that some of the attendees of the meetings we had were their intelligence police. I expected that every contact was reported, and my hotel room was surely bugged. But ÔÇô I could board a flight home, and once again be relaxed and comfortable in my homeland. These guys could not. Ever. And so, this is how I first felt the real oppression, the fear.

Quite spontaneously, the wall started to open up. The East German army and police unloaded their weapons, and shouted greetings from the top of the wall. They flirted with the West German girls. Every evening, we boycotted the conference hospitality suites and entertainment in favor of walking to the Brandenburg Gate, the epicenter of all the expectations. High towers had been hastily erected to give clear views to television cameras and photographers. The Gate remained closed until well after much of the wall came down, fearing citizens might be injured in the crush to rush into East Berlin, and vice versa.

The Sunday after, I was hiking along a section of the wall. British soldiers patrolled an open section. It became 4 oÔÇÖclock. They offered everyone a share of their tea, and we drank from aluminum and tin cups. I joined them, even though I donÔÇÖt much care for tea. It was a momentous time, and we all felt some need of camaraderie. I honestly believe I can still taste the metallic flavor of that brew, and it is a warm memory.

Toward dusk, I was again hiking along the wall, when I came up on a local man hammering away at one of the most picturesque sections of the wall. East of it was another wall, and in between was the ÔÇÿkilling zone,ÔÇÖ where real people had been shot to death trying to cross the boundary. Someone had long ago painted graffiti everywhere. In huge letters, it said, ÔÇ£Blood is thicker than concrete.ÔÇØ

On that day, many were hammering at the wall on the Western side. It was constructed of what military engineers call ÔÇÿbunker concrete.ÔÇÖ The aggregate is granite, and the concrete is vibrated to make it as hard and strong as concrete can get. Everywhere else, the hammerers were mostly destroying their hammers. The fellow I walked up to was a bit wiser. He had a geologistÔÇÖs hammer, which did a much better job. We couldnÔÇÖt speak to each other, other than by looks and gestures. He gestured, ÔÇ£Do you want a piece?ÔÇØ I nodded pretty vigorously. He hauled off and knocked a substantial hunk from the surface, complete with the graffiti paint. He presented it to me, rather as a priest might present the communion, respectfully and almost prayerfully. I thanked him in English, and we shook hands.

I still have that chunk of the wall, somewhere around here. I havenÔÇÖt seen it for a while. But, in my bedroom hang two large photos of that fellow, his hammer, and that section of the wall that he and other free men tore down. And I am proud, and mindful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snsdDb7KDkg&NR=1

Jim

Attachments

• Berlin Wall b-w.jpg
    Berlin Wall b-w.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Great memory of a crazy time. Thanks for sharing it with us. A good reminder, too, of the coming Veteran's Day, and to thank a Vet. here for the freedom we have and the fact that we don't have to cower in a corner and hope we are not seen with the wrong group, or heard to say something the "state" doesn't agree with.

What a wonderful story Jim. How incredibly lucky you were to have been in Berlin at that time. Thanks for sharing it.

I was working at a daily metropolitan newspaper at the time. Although it was half a world away, the events surrounding the death throes of Soviet-style Communism were stunning. When the crowds finally began pouring through the wall into West Berlin, I remember everyone in the newsroom glued to the television sets and to the wire services scarcely believing that the world had fundamentally changed.

Was in the military, training for Soviet tanks to come pouring through the Fulda Gap. What a sense of relief and hopefullness surrounded that time. How wonderful it must have been to have seen it first hand. Thanks for the memories.

Thanks for sharing that story with us Jim. You were lucky to be a part of that history and have a perspective that most Americans will never have.

:clap

Thanks for sharing. The ex and I spent a month in Europe that following June and happened to be in Berlin the day they officially closed Checkpoint Charlie. By that time, there wasn't much of the wall left, but the highlight of my trip was "renting" a sledgehammer and getting my own chunks off of what was left.

Leipzig

I had no idea about the importance of the peaceful protests in Leipzig leading up to the fall of the wall, until a couple of years ago when I was visiting in the area. I wandered into St. Nicholas Church and came face to face with Desmond Tutu! The officials were explaining about the Monday demonstrations at the church and it was being translated into English for Bishop Tutu's benefit, so I lucked into a great history lesson and a meeting with fame.

Holly

Originally Posted by lkchris
And I was doing technical writing for the maintenance of the nuclear artillery shells you were going to use!

I was flying around West Germany in a UH-60 providing security when the nuc arty rounds were moved for maintenance or other reasons. Glad we got out of that business.

I remember being in West Berlin in 1969, looking over the wall at the guard towers and dog runs. I knew I was being watched and the feeling was very eerie. Seeing the barricades at the Brandenburg Gate was so sad.
Fast forward, 2005, I had the pleasure of visiting Berlin, after the reunification. It was hard to distinguish the differnece betwee the east and the west. It was so refreshing. What a great achievement. And what an experience seeing the two Germanys.

Back