• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Turn Signal Relay Fried?

dodge1chevy2

I noticed a couple of days ago that the left turn signal indicator bulb on the dash of my '82 R65LS was dead. The turn signals (both left and right) worked fine. So, thinking that the indicator bulb was toast, I pulled off the faring and instrument cover today in order to diagnose the problem. This is probably where my lack of electrical "expertise" failed me. I left the connectors for the turn signal bulbs disconnected, turned on the ignition, and watched the turn signal indicator lamps. Well, it turns out that both connectors for the right turn signal were touching and the indicator bulb was blinking rapidly! I turned off the ignition and connected both the right and left bulbs to the connectors. Now, neither turn signal bulg nor indicator bulb worked. The bike started fine and headlight and tail light work fine.

So, did I toast the turn signal relay or destroy some other electrical component? My Clymer manual does not even indicate where the relay is located?

A search of real.com did not give a part number for the turn signal indicator bulb. Any suggestions where I can find this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

rickt

Remove the fuel tank. Underneath you will see (if it is still the original part, anyway) a "largish" silver "box" with red tape around its base to seal it. This is the voltage regulator. Just in front of it (towards the headlight) you will see the Ignition control module mounted on its aluminum heatsink. On the "back" side of the voltage regulator (moving towards tail-light) you should see either a blue or black rectangular box , this would be the turn signal relay. Continuing
toward the tailight is another "box", this is the starter relay and the original is also silver in color.

The bulbs are a fairly normal type and if you bring one into an automotive supply store they can get you some more.

You might want to check your fuses before you start replacing relays, though I *think* that the tail light and turn signals were on the same fuse, and you said your tail light was still working. Anyhow, pull the
toolbox that sits over the battery out and look under the rear of where the fuel tank would be, and you will see the fuses - can't recall offhand which is which, but you can check them.

If your 82 is like a 79 I worked on, the fuses are located just aft of the side cover on the right side of the bike in a black plastic housing with a finger screw cover. Loosen the screw, open the cover and you'll find two 8 amp fuses. Check them both. Replace as needed.

Testing the Relay

I searched my three airhead manuals (factory, Clymer, & Haynes) for assistance on trouble-shooting the turn signal relay. Haven't even found directions on where it is located. Thanks to boxermaf for the instructions!

Is there a relatively simple procedure for determining if the relay is still good? I have the test gear, but not the knowledge or experience to properly evaluate the electrical gear. I hope to get back to the bike this weekend.

Thanks,
rickt

There's a pretty extensive discussion of relays here http://www.airheads.org/content/view/159/98/. Generally, testing consists of applying power across the input connectors and listening for the click as the relay contacts work. You could also put an ohmeter across the output terminals and ensure there's a path once the relay contacts mate.

Good News & Thank You

After a bit of searching, I did locate the fuse box (below the rear of the tank) and lo and behold one of the fuses was blown. A very thoughtful PO had left a tin of 8A fuses with the bike and the replacement returned things to normal. Even stranger was the fact that the indicator lamp for the left turn signal (the culprit that perpetuated this entire event) now works. I coated the bulb leads with dielectric grease and tomorrow I will put the plastic pieces back together. Finding an electrical problem that has apparently self-corrected sort of scares me!

In any case I appreciate the good advice that saved me certain pain as well as the cost of a replacement relay.

rickt

Back