• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trying this 900GTP out…

motodan

Like all I’m not getting younger and my knees, hips and other connected parts have been looking for an easier path. So now have this Triumph. I do miss the shaft however, not the height, weight and bulk. Hopefully it will fill my final biking years with a little more comfort.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 243
Nothing wrong with chain-drive. It’s a good looking bike. Hopefully you will report back in a few thousand miles and give a report.

I sat on a Triumph some years back at the insistence of the salesman. He started it up so I could rev it a bit. It had so much torque that the bike would roll to the side for a bit. Pretty cool sensation really.
I don’t remember what model it was.
OM

My first ride was a Triumph Tiger. They have come a long ways since the seventies! Hope it is everything you need it to be for this season of life.

My wife's 900GT LRH has been trouble free. Several rattles from plastics but thats it . After 38K on my big 1200 Tiger I went to a BMW R1250RS .
the 900 is over 100 pounds lighter than my 1200 was . Nearly as quick to .

20201030_181129.jpg

Motodan:

As one born in the 1940s I, too, am considering moving to something lighter than my otherwise delightful '18 R1200RT.

How do you find the wind protection on the Tiger? I know it won't be the serene place my RT is, but I'd like to get most of my torso out of the hurricane.

Motodan:

As one born in the 1940s I, too, am considering moving to something lighter than my otherwise delightful '18 R1200RT.

How do you find the wind protection on the Tiger? I know it won't be the serene place my RT is, but I'd like to get most of my torso out of the hurricane.

Hi Bob, I am a huge fan of Madstad Windshield Systems, so knew I’d be adding one of those even before I first Road my GT. The stock shield is fine for relieving pressure on the chest and helmet buffeting was minimal however, the high wind noise took away from the ride. My above picture is Madstad’s dark tint 22” model.

Nothing wrong with chain-drive. It’s a good looking bike. Hopefully you will report back in a few thousand miles and give a report.

I sat on a Triumph some years back at the insistence of the salesman. He started it up so I could rev it a bit. It had so much torque that the bike would roll to the side for a bit. Pretty cool sensation really.
I don’t remember what model it was.
OM

That had to be a Rocket 3. It's the only Triumph with the engine mounted longitudinally. With almost 2.5l of triple engine, if you twist the throttle hard enough it just might flop on its side. ;)

That had to be a Rocket 3. It's the only Triumph with the engine mounted longitudinally. With almost 2.5l of triple engine, if you twist the throttle hard enough it just might flop on its side. ;)

Or whellie and dump you unceremoniously on your backside. :)

If only BMW made a similar-sized and styled bike...

A quick search of the Tiger 900 and the F850 GS resulted, IMO, similar bikes.

Tiger 900: 888cc's, 94 HP, 64 ft lb torque, 437 lbs dry weight, ±5.3 gallon tank
F850 GS: 853cc's, 90 HP, 63 ft lb torque, 480 lbs dry weight, ±4.0 gallon tank

The Tiger has ±55 MPG, but I couldn't find the MPG on BMW's website. A Google search indicated 57 MPG for the F850 GS, but I don't know how accurate that is.

These seem somewhat similar to me. You can get the GSA with a bigger tank, but it weighs about 500 lbs dry. I haven't ridden either bike, so I can't say how they ride.

Tiger 900: 888cc's, 94 HP, 64 ft lb torque, 437 lbs dry weight, ±5.3 gallon tank

The Tiger has ±55 MPG, but I couldn't find the MPG on BMW's website. A Google search indicated 57 MPG for the F850 GS, but I don't know how accurate that is.

These seem somewhat similar to me. You can get the GSA with a bigger tank, but it weighs about 500 lbs dry. I haven't ridden either bike, so I can't say how they ride.

I’m curious where the 43lb weight difference is coming from? It would be fun to roll both bikes onto a CAT scale…

Best,
DeVern

Or for the F800GS?

F800GS: 798cc's, 85 HP, 60 ft lb torque, 407 lbs dry weight, ±4.2 gallon tank (non adventure)

That Tiger does look beautiful!

Ah, your initial post had a bit of sarcasm. Sorry, that didn't come through to me in the post. My bad.

Actually, you did exactly what I'd hoped someone would do. Again, kudos to you, sir.

I did a 4,000km tour which included two riders who were each riding a BMW 850. They loved them and had no issue hangin' with the "big" bikes.

Actually, you did exactly what I'd hoped someone would do. Again, kudos to you, sir.

I did a 4,000km tour which included two riders who were each riding a BMW 850. They loved them and had no issue hangin' with the "big" bikes.

Hmmph...I thought the sarcasm was so thick, it wasn't looking for a response.

Many years ago, I test rode an F800ST. The engine was one of the reasons I didn't buy it and ended up getting a Suzuki SV650S. It was just too agricultural. Then I sold the SV and bought a 2013 Triumph Street Triple 675R. Over 10 years and 41k miles later I still have and will never not have that bike, unless it completely implodes under me. The engine is the main reason for this. For me, there's something about that triple engine. It seems the perfect combination of torque and horsepower, smoothness and raucousness.

I haven't ridden a parallel twin BMW since, so maybe they have gotten better. I am very much enjoying the boxer twin on my R1250RS.

I stopped at the Tiger 1050 and went straight to an RT. The only other bike I like is a F800GT which is in the garage, but belongs to the wife.

I’m curious where the 43lb weight difference is coming from? It would be fun to roll both bikes onto a CAT scale…

Best,
DeVern

Triumph cheating through obfuscation. They list weight as "dry weight", also known as "missing important and necessary fluids." No gas at the minimum, but it could also mean no coolant, no brake fluid, no fork oil, no shock oil, or no grease! 5.4 gallons of missing gas would, coincidentally, explain almost exactly 43 pounds of missing weight.

BMW follows an EU regulatory guideline, so they generally list weight with all standard equipment and required parts and fluids and 90 percent of the fuel capacity. The current F850GS is 504 pounds by that standard.

Triumph cheating through obfuscation. They list weight as "dry weight", also known as "missing important and necessary fluids." No gas at the minimum, but it could also mean no coolant, no brake fluid, no fork oil, no shock oil, or no grease! 5.4 gallons of missing gas would, coincidentally, explain almost exactly 43 pounds of missing weight.

BMW follows an EU regulatory guideline, so they generally list weight with all standard equipment and required parts and fluids and 90 percent of the fuel capacity. The current F850GS is 504 pounds by that standard.

Hhmmmm…. Post #11 shows dry weights listed for both bikes, with a 43lb difference, which takes liquids out of the equation. And I’d expect that Triumph would still have to follow the Euro standard, also.

I still maintain that any comparisons not made on a CAT scale are not particularly useful. That used to be a standard part of moto mag reviews back in the day, but now they seem to just accept whatever is in the mfgrs press package.

Best,
DeVern

Back