• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Traveling toolkit? R1200RT

wbrownell9

I'll be taking my RT for a three-week trip in September (approx. 6,000 miles). I'm not a mechanic, so my primary maintenance tool is a credit card, at least until the warranty runs out. Afterwards I can handle routine maintenance but for anything complicated it'll be dealer service. I'll be getting the 6,000 mile service done just before I go.

Given the relative scarcity of BMW dealers out there, I figure it'd be good to carry some BMW-specific tools so that any decent mechanic can work on the bike in case something goes wrong. My main concern is tire trouble. What is a reasonable toolkit for me? So far I think I should be carrying:

Tire plug kit
Compressor
Air gage
T45 and T50 Torx
22mm tool for front axle
3/8" ratchet handle with 3" and 6" extensions
Crappy stock toolkit (what is that long tube with the funny-shaped ends?)

I'll schedule a 12,000 mile service for when I get back so no need to carry a filter and oil cap tool, just a quart to replace what burns off.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be taking my RT for a three-week trip in September (approx. 6,000 miles). I'm not a mechanic, so my primary maintenance tool is a credit card, at least until the warranty runs out. Afterwards I can handle routine maintenance but for anything complicated it'll be dealer service. I'll be getting the 6,000 mile service done just before I go.

Given the relative scarcity of BMW dealers out there, I figure it'd be good to carry some BMW-specific tools so that any decent mechanic can work on the bike in case something goes wrong. My main concern is tire trouble. What is a reasonable toolkit for me? So far I think I should be carrying:

Tire plug kit
Compressor
Air gage
T45 and T50 Torx
22mm tool for front axle
3/8" ratchet handle with 3" and 6" extensions
Crappy stock toolkit (what is that long tube with the funny-shaped ends?)

I'll schedule a 12,000 mile service for when I get back so no need to carry a filter and oil cap tool, just a quart to replace what burns off.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Throw the oil cap tool in for what it is worth. If you do a lot of high speed riding on a hot section of road you may use more oil than you expect, thus need to top off.

It is called the oil cap removal tool. Came with my R and RT. Not really needed to remove the cap; a screw driver will work.

Helps to to remove it from my 2012. Out of the owner's manual. Plastic, really cheap, but works. I replaced my cap with an aluminum cap that uses a modified Torx driver.

Attachments

• R1200R Tool Kit.jpg
    R1200R Tool Kit.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 216
Throw the oil cap tool in for what it is worth. If you do a lot of high speed riding on a hot section of road you may use more oil than you expect, thus need to top off.

I meant to say oil filter wrench, brain fart, thanks, I was definitely going to bring the oil cap tool. Thanks too for the picture of the manual, I must have missed that page.

Here's a link to a tool that will handle your front axle, pull your spark plug wires and lock your oil filler.

Thanks, that was the one I was going to bring along.

Do you really need to take a quart of oil? Oil's as close as the nearest gas station. Space IS limited.

Toooldtocare, Thanks for posting the diagram and factory tool list. I wondered what tools came with BMW bikes in recent years. I removed the wad of tools from the tail section of my totaled R11RS. I see I'll have to add some new items to make it useful on a R12RT.

A small pair of needle nose vise grips has numerous applications...use as a hand lever, shifter, hold clamps, broken screw/bolt easy-out and more.

I use this one...

http://www.advdesigns.com/ulcobmwr1gsg.html

Yes, a bit pricy but if you really look at what you are getting it is well worth it and it fits in the provided tool roll. Takes the guesswork out of what is needed. Aside from a roadside tire change there is not much this kit cannot help you perform whether in the garage or on the road.

Just try to find 20W 50 synthetic in rural Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, Alberta, The Yukon or Alaska. I always pack oil on long trips.

Really? And what will happen if you are forced to top off with something else? Will the driveshaft turn in reverse?

back to the tool kit discussion...

i just received the 2012-2013 specific r1200rt tool kit from Adventure Designs in Hayward, CA (not affiliated)....yes, a bit pricey but a VERY comprehensive kit with all necessary tools to do some basic roadside repairs....i will carry that along with the necessary flat repair gear and a small first aid kit....

wyman

Back