• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Transmission Seal

R

r100rsman

Hye Guys,

I just bought a 1984 R100RS Last Edition and I have gone through it and changed all the fluids. Used synthetic oil in the transmission and leak has appeared. Oil is comming out from where the the shifter attached to the transmission. I tried tightening it up but still seaps.

My question is how difficult is it to replace the seal?

The manual I have does not have precise instuctions on how to do it. Thak in advance. Also, man do i love this bike, i forgot what ridding was all about until i got back on an Airhead again.

Cheers

John

I just did this seal and it is super easy.

You don't even have to drain the fluid.

Just lean the bike onto it's right cylinder (some kind of padded blocks.)

Take off the shifter.

Pry out the old seal with a screwdriver being careful not to scratch the machined surface.

Lightly oil the new seal and hammer it in using a socket that fits around the rim of the seal.

Be sure it goes in straight and all the way.

It's exactly the same as putting in a fork seal but much easier.

unfortunately, this is not uncommon when switching form dino to synthetic
you can do a search here on the subject
dino tends to swell seals
if that seal is going , others might too,
might want to switch back to dino

Thanks for the help. Going to order the seal tomorrow and give it a go.

Back