• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

$$$Trans Spline Lube$$$

Nothing, I do it myself. No parts needed besides the lube which I have lots of on hand.

Likewise with all the work on my bikes. I'm just too cheap to cough up $$$ to have someone do what I can do myself. Plus I can likely shcedule it in quicker than the shop can. I'm even going to start doing my own tires after the last bill I got to have a pair installed.

depends on how worn the teeth splines on the input shaft are and the teeth on the Clutch are... mine was about $1000 a few years ago when my input shaft went... had to put in a new clutch at same time.. .if you are in there and the clutch is more than 50% worn might as well replace it ... it is a mostly a labor job more than anything... ask you dealer how many hrs they figure.. it is abotu a day job in there books..

I think a tube of the BMW spline lube is maybe $5?? $10 at most.

Cheap, really cause you never want to experience a failed spline due to the wrong lube, lack of lube, or cheap lube getting spun out of the spline.

I have heard some BMW riders use an equivalent lube from Honda with good results. Don't scrimp in this area, or you'l pay $$$$$ later.

depends on how worn the teeth splines on the input shaft are and the teeth on the Clutch are... mine was about $1000 a few years ago when my input shaft went... had to put in a new clutch at same time.. .if you are in there and the clutch is more than 50% worn might as well replace it ... it is a mostly a labor job more than anything... ask you dealer how many hrs they figure.. it is abotu a day job in there books..

I got an estimate for $800 for just lubing and replacing the trans seal...???little high.

I got an estimate for $800 for just lubing and replacing the trans seal...???little high.

sounds about right at a 70 dollar or so labor rate. thats what i was quoted for replacing my rear main seals. needless to say i did it myself. like others have said, not an overly difficulty DIY job, just a fairly long one.

sounds about right at a 70 dollar or so labor rate. thats what i was quoted for replacing my rear main seals. needless to say i did it myself. like others have said, not an overly difficulty DIY job, just a fairly long one.

most dealers are up around 80-85 per hr now... :hungover

How offten shold you lube the spline?

How often depends a little on the model, where you live, and how you ride. But a good rule of thumb interval is every 40,000 miles. I have seen them go longer, but don'thave a good measure of the extra wear that might have occured between that 40K and the 50 or 60K when the service was needed due to clunky downshifting.

trans spline lube

Ed forgot to mention he's an ex (wrenching) pro.

Nice position to be in with the eminently home servicable oilers.

I just re - swore my oath of not ever wrenching again, after removing the rear wheel on my 1150 RS and almost ruining a Remus titanium exhaust can. I wrenched sucessfully for many years, and still have most of my skills; but I've lost most of my patience. Just keep me away from my precious Mac's.

rinty

I was quoted about $1000 by Cliff's in Danbury CT. I've done it on airheads but not an oilhead. It'd take me at least 7-10 hours to figure out how it's done the first time. Plus the time the bike will be torn apart in the garage as I probably won't do it in one sitting. Cliff's will supply a loaner bike for the day they do the work. Take $150 off the top of the bill. I figure the dealer could do it in 4-5 hours. That's a realistic $100/hour. That seems to be the going rate when roofers, plumbers, etc repair my house. For the parts of the job that require four hands, they will be there when needed. I do all the routine maintence myself. At 20K miles/year $500 annually is a lot less than the depreciation and service on a new hexhead. By the way did I mention the day on the F650.......
robert

Back